4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 29, 2011 11:55 PM by Peacekeeper

Another Auto Renewal post - loyalty gets you nowhere, time to shop around!

First post.  Never had a problem with McAfee products and how they work or perform.  Which is a shame because:

I've just canceled my subscription for McAfee Total Protection and this years renewal after paying for the last two or three years.  Prior to that I had another McAfee product with one off payments.

I knew exactly what I was signing up to and knew about auto renewal ("one less thing to worry about, and one less date to remember"). 

This is not a post about - hidden terms and conditions or not realizing I was being charged or going to be charged.  Just a lack of loyalty from a company to its consumers.

Two or three years ago I purchased McAfee Total Protection at full UK price.  £64.99

A year later I received the auto renewal as they said I would.  Again at £64.99.  I checked the price online and the price was cheaper for new signups.  Don't recall the exact difference, probably 20% less or similar.  I did intend on following up, but never got round to it.  Why should I pay more to be loyal.  But I was not concerned enough in the end to follow up.

Anyway, another year goes by.....

This year, again I get the auto renewal and £64.99 is charged to my account.

Again I check online at the price for new signups was £29.99, that's a saving of £35.00.  More than 50% saving for new customers.

I called McAfee to enquire:

• They said they could cancel my auto renewal.  (can do that myself on line)
      • They said they could provide a refund and I could purchase at a reduced cost while on the phone.
      • They said they could offer me a 50% reduction on my renewal cost. (but the price online is more than a 50% saving)
      • They said they could not offer that rate.  (I live in Canada, but my account is paid for and linked to my UK bank).  They could not offer me UK rates.  Canada/US deals are not as good, but still there is a saving to new customers.

US: $30 saving (on regular $89.99)

CAN: $20 saving (on regular $79.99)

UK: £35 saving (on regular £64.99 - more than 50% saving)

• I said I would cancel my subscription and auto renewal and consider looking for other products and payment options and be free to choose what I want to do each year and what product or provider to use.

In the video about all the benefit's of auto renewal, you are told  "one less thing to worry about, and one less date to remember".

Actually it is one more thing to worry about and one more date to remember.

You need to check you are not being taken for a ride by a company showing no loyalty to its consumers.  Are they over charging you and are you getting the best deal. 

I would ask that every person who finds this thread cancels their auto renewal, and each year make a choice about continuing to be loyal to McAfee.

If you do, McAfee may find that by failing to be loyal they fail to keep loyal consumers.  Be fair McAfee.. 

You are paying to offer reductions in prices to lure new consumers, you are paying for advertising to get new consumers, but losing old ones.

Finally, please could no moderators reply with the standard response about paying the full retail price, or that I could opt out at any time.  None of which makes up for McAffe having a pricing plan and auto renewal scheme which preys on those who will not be bothered to check or do anything about being over charged year in and year out.

I would however like to see how many users decide to opt out and consider what they are being charged and who might look at alternatives.

Time to shop around....

• 1. Re: Another Auto Renewal post - loyalty gets you nowhere, time to shop around!
          exbrit

If you were charged more than the advertised rate Customer Service would have gladly refunded the difference or the whole thing, that's what they are there for and it's just a toll-free phone call away.  Link under Useful Links at the top of the page.

You could have turned off the auto-renewal at any time from day 1 by signing into your account and unchecking that option or phoned them,  as above.

Varying prices by country is quite normal due to marketing, cost of doing business etc., although I must admit, at first glance, it makes one wonder what's going on.

Anyway, the best of luck.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 29/11/11 5:36:39 EST PM
          • 2. Re: Another Auto Renewal post - loyalty gets you nowhere, time to shop around!

Ex_brit, the sentence at the end of my post:

"Finally, please could no moderators reply with the standard response about paying the full retail price, or that I could opt out at any time.  None of which makes up for McAffe having a pricing plan and auto renewal scheme which preys on those who will not be bothered to check or do anything about being over charged year in and year out."

...was specifically for you and yours, requesting that you don't provide that kind stock response.  Just don't bother.  I provided the details, prices, what I did , what I was charged and prices I could find online.  Making public the problems I have with McAfee pricing in relation to Auto Renewals.

• I said I contacted McAfee
            • I know about different pricing for companies around the world, did I say I had a problem with the price in different countries.
            • I said I knew I could opt out at any time

I also know I can go and renew myself now online in one of the countries I have the ability to purchase, in order to get the best price for myself.  I also know, that each year I will get an e-mail about my subscription expiring, regardless of the opt in to auto renewals.

But does any of what you have said, substantiate that the pricing strategy of McAfee is preying on those who will not check the current prices.

If you are going to provide the same answer you seem to always provide don't waste your time.  Why not do something about it, this time.  I know you can't directly effect the pricing of McAfee. 

Why don't you put a big sticky post, blog, poll at the top of the forum saying we urge all uses to opt out of auto renewals and compare prices each and every year, until such time as McAfee automatically charge autorenews at the best possible price they currently offer.

Meaning that loyalty would get you something.

Because as my post title and concern was about, loyalty in this case was getting me nothing in return.  So I canceled my auto renewal and my subscription.

• 3. Re: Another Auto Renewal post - loyalty gets you nowhere, time to shop around!
              exbrit

Sorry I bothered to respond and sorry if I misread your post- that's what I get for speed reading.  Unfortunately most of the people on the forums, including us, are volunteer users or users with problems, like yourself and technicians, who have nothing to do with marketing and sales.

You could always write to head office - see the 'Contact Us' at the bottom left of this page if you feel so strongly about it.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 29/11/11 6:32:49 EST PM
              • 4. Re: Another Auto Renewal post - loyalty gets you nowhere, time to shop around!
                Peacekeeper

I had passed a similiar complaint up the line and he was annoyed as well as you can find the product free after rebatres at some places but auto renewal full price.

Marketing needs a lot of users complaining to wake them up. We mods have raised this issue without change for several years. It is out of our and it seems even  manager's ability to change Marketing's mind set.