First post. Never had a problem with McAfee products and how they work or perform. Which is a shame because:
I've just canceled my subscription for McAfee Total Protection and this years renewal after paying for the last two or three years. Prior to that I had another McAfee product with one off payments.
I knew exactly what I was signing up to and knew about auto renewal ("one less thing to worry about, and one less date to remember").
This is not a post about - hidden terms and conditions or not realizing I was being charged or going to be charged. Just a lack of loyalty from a company to its consumers.
Two or three years ago I purchased McAfee Total Protection at full UK price. £64.99
A year later I received the auto renewal as they said I would. Again at £64.99. I checked the price online and the price was cheaper for new signups. Don't recall the exact difference, probably 20% less or similar. I did intend on following up, but never got round to it. Why should I pay more to be loyal. But I was not concerned enough in the end to follow up.
Anyway, another year goes by.....
This year, again I get the auto renewal and £64.99 is charged to my account.
Again I check online at the price for new signups was £29.99, that's a saving of £35.00. More than 50% saving for new customers.
I called McAfee to enquire:
- They said they could cancel my auto renewal. (can do that myself on line)
- They said they could provide a refund and I could purchase at a reduced cost while on the phone.
- They said they could offer me a 50% reduction on my renewal cost. (but the price online is more than a 50% saving)
- They said they could not offer that rate. (I live in Canada, but my account is paid for and linked to my UK bank). They could not offer me UK rates. Canada/US deals are not as good, but still there is a saving to new customers.
US: $30 saving (on regular $89.99)
CAN: $20 saving (on regular $79.99)
UK: £35 saving (on regular £64.99 - more than 50% saving)
- I said I would cancel my subscription and auto renewal and consider looking for other products and payment options and be free to choose what I want to do each year and what product or provider to use.
In the video about all the benefit's of auto renewal, you are told "one less thing to worry about, and one less date to remember".
Actually it is one more thing to worry about and one more date to remember.
You need to check you are not being taken for a ride by a company showing no loyalty to its consumers. Are they over charging you and are you getting the best deal.
I would ask that every person who finds this thread cancels their auto renewal, and each year make a choice about continuing to be loyal to McAfee.
If you do, McAfee may find that by failing to be loyal they fail to keep loyal consumers. Be fair McAfee..
You are paying to offer reductions in prices to lure new consumers, you are paying for advertising to get new consumers, but losing old ones.
Finally, please could no moderators reply with the standard response about paying the full retail price, or that I could opt out at any time. None of which makes up for McAffe having a pricing plan and auto renewal scheme which preys on those who will not be bothered to check or do anything about being over charged year in and year out.
I would however like to see how many users decide to opt out and consider what they are being charged and who might look at alternatives.
Time to shop around....