5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 30, 2011 10:20 AM by samd

Show Agent Log doesn't work...

samd

In EPO 4.6.1, and prior versions I've tried, when I click on a machine and under Agent click Show Agent Log I get a browser window that opens but I get nothing. It trys to go to the port I set up during the configuration  for Agent Wake up communication via http and I get the standard "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage". I thought at first maybe Windows Firewall was getting in the way but I even disabled the firewall on my machine and tried again and I still get it. So not sure what's going on. Should I get the contents of the agent log in the browser window?

• 1. Re: Show Agent Log doesn't work...
          Tristan

Possibly Windows Firewall on the computer your trying to view is blocking out-going ports.

The agent log is served via a mini http server embedded in the agent on the client machine

One test would be to see if you can access the agent log on the client computer itself. Try browsing to http://localhost:8081 (replace 8081 with a custom port num if you changed it from the default) if the page gets displayed correctly then you know is something to do with the http communication between client and server.

Try disabling the firewall at both ends or put exclusions for the agent ports in the config.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Show Agent Log doesn't work...
            jmcleish

In the McAfee agent policy, do you have the "" checked?

If so uncheck it and wakeup the policy for that client then try and connect.

(Assuming your not running the console from the ePO server)

HTH

Jane

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Show Agent Log doesn't work...
              samd

Jane,

You were correct about that as I went to the server and the browser window opened. However I get the following on the browser on my EPO server.

McAfee Agent Activity Log

Version [4.6.0.1694] Computer name [TEST] ePO server []

View debug logs: FrameSvc current / previous, NaPrdMgr current / previous

Date and Time

Type

Component

The XML page cannot be displayed

Cannot view XML input using XSL style sheet. Please correct the error and then click the Refresh button, or try again later.

Catastrophic failure

Message was edited by: samd on 11/29/11 12:54:33 PM EST
              • 4. Re: Show Agent Log doesn't work...
                bakerrl

This is usually an issue with IE.  Try clearing your TEMP Internet Files and/or repairing IE.

or

Bring up a Command Prompt

Go to directory c:\Windows\Microsoft.Net\Framework\v2.0.50727

Type aspnet_regiis.exe -u

Type aspnet_regiis.exe -i

This will reiinstall the mappings for the .Net framework

or Install Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1

• 5. Re: Show Agent Log doesn't work...
                  samd

Turned out to be multiple problems.

1. I did need to enable "" in ePO for this to work from machines other than the ePO server itself.

2. Then I had to disable the Windows Firewall on the machine I wanted to view the log on . Of course if I really want to use Show Agent Log I'll have to set up an exception and not disable the whole Windows Firewall.  After this step I the Show Agent Log worked on other machines.

3. The Show Agent Log still didn't work on the ePo server. This was because of IE security settings on the server. I had to set the client machine to be a trusted site and then I could display it. I could have also set up IE on the server to trust the whole "intranet" I guess.

In the end I'm not gonna bother doing anything. I rarely need this functionality and I can just connect to a share to open the log. Better than adding a firewall exception on all workstations.