1 Reply Latest reply on Dec 11, 2011 10:15 AM by dave_wilson

General Help

Hi,

I have a problem with some media files (.vob,.mepg,.flv&.mp3files).My computer was inflected with virus so I installed the McAfee and scandfor virous.After being completed I have found many media files automaticallybecame hidden and not became visible.Now what should I do to make themselves  visible.  

KM Bappi

• 1. Re: General Help

Hi! Seems like you've been hit by a very stong virus. Most of the time, a virus or any malicious scripts can cause your files and folders to be hidden or not visible when it is clearly enabled. And even if you enabled the Show hidden files and folders, it is still not visible. To resolve this:

1. Select Tools and then Folder Options

2. Select View and then select the option Show hidden files and folders.

If the files and folders is still hidden continue below but please make a backup of your own system before you proceed as we will be customizing the registry which may sometimes cause harm or problems with your computer system if we make some erroneous or incorrect value.

3. Select Start and then Run. Type regedit and press enter to open the registry editor.

4. Navigate this: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced\Folder\Hidden\SHOWALL

Now delete the value CheckedValue in the right pane if its already present and type REG_SZ. Then create a new DWORD value with the same name as CheckedValue. And then double-click the CheckedValue and modify the data value to 1. Close the registry window.

If you are unsure of what to do, please ask an advanced user or just call your computer manufacturer. I found a site that may give you helpful tips. Just click on this link: http://www.techyv.com/questions/hidden-folders-not-able-see

* Always make a backup of your system.