1 Reply Latest reply on Nov 25, 2011 4:02 AM by Peacekeeper

Compatibility. Please settle a dispute.  :-)

Hello,

This may be a an unusual post, but nevertheless, I need your help.

I am currently at odds with a very close friend of mine about something I did to her computer, and I have lost a great deal of trust and credibility with this person. I am very knowledgeable about computes, especially in the areas of security and optimization; however, my friend has been led to doubt all of this because of statements made by other friends of hers which go against what I have told her.

Here's the issue:

I recently did a complete tune up of my friend's computer. Among many other things, I also removed her prior anti-virus program and installed McAfee.

In addition to installing McAfee as her primary anti-virus, I also installed two back-up on-demand scanners: SuperAntiSpyware and Malware Bytes. Please note that I installed the free versions, so these are NOT resident programs that will be running in the background. They are simply on-demand scanners. I installed them so that they would be there in the event of an "emergency."

One of her other friends, who claims to be an "expert," found out what I did and told her to remove the additional scanners because according to him you should never have more than one scanner of any type on your system. I tried explaining to my friend that such advice only applies to having two resident (running) malware/anti-virus programs. I told her you could have a dozen back-up scanners on your computer — if you wanted, and as long as they weren't activated, it did not matter one bit. She has, however, taken the advice of her friend and removed the other programs and refuses to allow me to touch her computer anymore because she is convinced that I do not know what I am doing.

I was hoping that someone from here could make a statement regarding this so that I can show it to my friend. I want her to hear it from someone with more credibility than me that having additional scanners (that are NOT running) cannot possible interfere with your primary anti-virus program, and in fact, are good to have in the event of an infection.

Since she will not believe me, I am hoping she will believe someone from McAfee.

Thank you.

• 1. Re: Compatibility. Please settle a dispute.  :-)
          Peacekeeper

You have done the correct thing . I and the mods here all use those two scanners as on demand scanners. The below comment by a malwarebytes developer gives some credence to this.

· ...from one of the lead developers of MalwareBytes (Bruce Harrison) :
          As far as why MBAMis very good at dealing with this infection, that is simple.MBAM is designed to be very good at dealing with malware that the AVs seem to be having problems with. I do not spend my time making MBAM detect millions of infections that any decent AV already detects as
          MBAM is DESIGNED to work alongside antivirus software, not replace it. A huge chunk of the research that goes into MBAM revolves around what we see making it into HJT threads as the vast majority of these threads involve antivirus software that was in some way bypassed.
          Lets settle this now and avoid any further misinformation. MBAM is now a very good backup to any antivirus software and will only get better in the future.MBAM will NEVER add antivirus abilities to itscore app and is always advised to be used WITH antivirus software. We actually get this question a lot in the forums and I assure you that we always say :

"No, MBAM can't replace your existing antivirus software and is not designed to."

The paid for ie registered versions will clash with Mcafee's reat time scanner so the free ones are fine but be warning at the moment new installs of Mcafee will suggest removing them so if you are doing a new install remove them and replace after the install. that is the safest way.

Reading the malware forums here shows Malware bytes a good backup program as are the ones suggested here

McAfee Communities: Anti-Spyware, Malware & Hijacker Tools