3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 24, 2011 8:32 AM by pierce

Problem to "Run Client Task now“ with EPO agent 4.6 on EPO version 4.6.1

EPO-Janni

Hello,

I have the following problem with EPO 4.6.1 and EPO agent 4.6.0.1694. If I start “Run Client Task Now“ after selecting a XP-client in System Tree of our EPO testing system, the task starts without problems and the page with progress bars is shown. If I try the same on our production EPO 4.6.1 nothing happens. No page with progress bars is shown after starting “Run Client Task Now“ and the agent monitor on the target EPO client shows no activity. The “Wake up Agents” function in system tree works without problems on both EPO systems.

Is there any additional configuration setting to enable the “Run Client Task Now“ function? The ports and the general EPO agent settings are configured identical. I go crazy at the moment about this difference ...

Additional: I just found one difference. The EPO agent 4.6 ist checked in in the current branch in master repository on the evaluation branch EPO. And the agent 4.6 on the productive EPO is checked in in the evaluation branch, because we are just updating the agents from 4.5 to 4.6. And the 4.5 agent is just checked in in the current branch on the productive EPO. May be that is the reason?

Thanks and best regards,

Janni

Nachricht geändert durch EPO-Janni on 24.11.11 13:30:57 MEZ
        • 1. Re: Problem to "Run Client Task now“ with EPO agent 4.6 on EPO version 4.6.1
          pierce

Hey Janni,

My production box had that issue, apart from the run now page did work for a few days then vanished.

Check your Server task log and see if the tasks are even starting/recorded there. Also look to see how many things you have in progress.

I found that I had a large number of 'in progress' tasks running that I knew had been completed, in the end I just restarted the services on the server and everything went back to normal.

thanks,

Pierce

• 2. Re: Problem to "Run Client Task now“ with EPO agent 4.6 on EPO version 4.6.1
            EPO-Janni

Hi pierce,

thanks for your answer. To restart the McAfee services on the EPO solved the problem! I checked the server tasks log before. There were some reactivation tasks running that were started houres ago. Such "long running reactivation tasks" were terminated automatically on the former EPO 4.5 version. But now it seems that such tasks are running and running ...

Is there a parameter to configure the maximum duration of this "Agent Wake Up" tasks? It makes no sin if this task are running if the target is not reachable! Isn't it? And if this never ending tasks are blocking other functions - it's CRAZY!

Best regards from Germany

Janni

• 3. Re: Problem to "Run Client Task now“ with EPO agent 4.6 on EPO version 4.6.1
              pierce

Hey Janni,

Yes thats exactly what I saw. Its strange when your in the run now task page look at the second tab (its above the computers and below the 3 choice boxes) and there are some additional settings, each run now task only runs for 20 minutes before stopping! I had something that had been running for almost 300 hours.

On a positive note I have not had the issue since!

thanks,

Pierce