9 Replies Latest reply on Apr 15, 2009 1:10 AM by HennoKeers

update problem for McAfee Enterprise 8.7i

I used to run 8.5i however every now and again I received an error message while updating (fffff9a2) which was due to the framework manifest being corrupted. i have no uninstalled 8.5i and installed 8.7i hoping to get rid of the update problem once and for all. however, now when i try to update i receive the following in the update console,

starting update session.......
      [I]an error occurred while updating the product...
      [I]update process failed

how can i solve this issue and why does McAfee have such problems?
        • 1. RE: update problem for McAfee Enterprise 8.7i
          Just a thought.. Such damage can occur when the computer is infected with Spyware. (I had to clean up a machine last week with similar symptoms from VS 8.5i.) Please follow the instructions below..

Please follow the steps below to download and run a couple of free malware scanners on your computer. (Yes, they are BOTH completely free to scan and remove the malware.) Use them in the order I give them.

First, use the free Malwarebytes instructions below:

Please download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from the link below:

http://www.majorgeeks.com/Malwarebytes_Anti-Malware_d5756.html

Double Click mbam-setup.exe to install the application. (If the file won't run correctly, try renaming it to something else, like "gogetup.exe", then double click it to install it. Some variants of malware will prevent the "mbam-setup.exe" file from running.)

* Make sure a checkmark is placed next to Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, then click Finish.
          * If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.
          * Once the program has loaded, select "Perform Quick Scan", then click Scan.
          * The scan may take some time to finish,so please be patient.
          * When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
          * Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
          * When disinfection is completed, a log will open in Notepad and you may be prompted to Restart.
          * The log is automatically saved by MBAM and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.

Extra Note:
          If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove,you will be presented with 1 of 2 prompts,click OK to either and let MBAM proceed with the disinfection process,if asked to restart the computer,please do so immediately.

After finishing with the tool above, please download, install, update, then run a full system scan with the free SuperAntispyware program from the link below. Delete everything it finds.:

SUPERAntispyware Removal Tool

Hope this helps.

Grif
          • 2. RE: update problem for McAfee Enterprise 8.7i
            Thanks for the reply Grif,

I tried uninstalling and then re-installed 8.71. Now the auto update feature works, however I receive the following in the console,

Searching available updates for McAfee VirusScan Enterprise 8.7.0.
            Updates were not applied because packages were not in the repository: VSCANCEU1000, EXTRADAT1000, BOCVSE__1000.
            Update Finished
            Closing the update session.

Does this simply mean that there are no current updates? or does it imply that I have another problem?

Thanks in advance
            • 3. RE: update problem for McAfee Enterprise 8.7i
              If the update is now running correctly and the DATS are being applied as designed, the error you're seeing isn't really a true problem.. Have you checked this Knowledgebase article?

https://knowledge.mcafee.com/article/33/616895_f.SAL_Public.html

And what did the malware scans turn up?

Hope this helps.

Grif
              • 4. RE: update problem for McAfee Enterprise 8.7i

Hello,
                Did you have a chance to figure out what the problem was with the update. I'm also getting this error message. I just installed the software on my workstation and 2 other computer... Please let me know if you found a solution on how to fix this problem.

Thanks,

Below is the error message I am receiving.

11/20/2008 7:01:02 PM NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM Starting task: AutoUpdate
                11/20/2008 7:01:08 PM NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM Checking update packages from repository NAIFtp.
                11/20/2008 7:01:09 PM NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM Initializing update...
                11/20/2008 7:01:09 PM NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM Verifying catalog.z.
                11/20/2008 7:01:09 PM NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM Extracting catalog.z.
                11/20/2008 7:01:09 PM NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM Loading update configuration from: catalog.xml
                11/20/2008 7:01:10 PM NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM These updates will be applied if they are in the repository: Engine, DAT, VSCANCEU1000, EXTRADAT1000, BOCVSE__1000, VIRUSCAN8700.
                11/20/2008 7:01:10 PM NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM Downloading PkgCatalog.z.
                • 5. RE: update problem for McAfee Enterprise 8.7i
                  I keep hearing this is not a problem, but it as, as McAfee does not update the signature files after this error.
                  I wonder what did they break in 8.7. Previous versions used to work flawlessly.
                  • 6. Exactly what is your error message?
                    rmetzger

pdes: What exactly are the errors you are getting? Have you tried running the SuperDAT update with the /F parameter. Have you rebooted since the update? (Sometimes I have found that immediately after the installation, the updated dats are not reported in the console/help/about screen, until a reboot is completed.)

Linuxbot is getting a very specific error that includes DAT and VIRUSCAN8700. This is a problem, but not the same as others are reporting. I am not sure about this specific problem.

If all that were listed was VSCANCEU100, EXTRADAT1000, BOCVSE_1000, then there is no problem. These are 'repositories' for future use and may not be used Today. However, the download process warns you that nothing was available. See the knowledge base article below for the specifics.

So, please list the exact repositories that are giving you problems. The details are important.

ERROR: Updates were not applied because packages were not in the repository: VSCANCEU1000, EXTRADAT1000, BOCVSE__1000, VIRUSCAN

Corporate KnowledgeBase ID: KB53932
                    Published: October 07, 2008

Environment
                    McAfee VirusScan Enterprise 8.7i
                    McAfee ePolicy Orchestrator
                    Microsoft Windows (all supported versions, see KB51109 )
                    Problem 1
                    Agent_<Computer_name>.log records the following errors:

i #3880 Script Product(s) running the latest DATs.
                    i #4456 Script Verifying VSE870Det.McS.
                    i #5580 Script Searching available updates for McAfee VirusScan Enterprise 8.7.0.
                    i #3880 Script Updates were not applied because packages were not in the repository: VSCANCEU1000
                    i #3880 Script EXTRADAT1000, BOCVSE__1000
                    i #5580 Script Update Finished

Problem 2
                    UpdateLog.txt records the following error:

Starting task: AutoUpdate
                    Checking update packages from repository ePO_FFUKAPP01.
                    Initializing update...
                    Verifying catalog.z.
                    Extracting catalog.z.
                    Loading update configuration from: Catalog.xml
                    Downloading PkgCatalog.z.
                    Verifying PkgCatalog.z.
                    Extracting PkgCatalog.z.
                    Loading update configuration from: PkgCatalog.xml
                    Verifying V2engdet.mcs.
                    Product(s) running the latest Engine.
                    Downloading PkgCatalog.z.
                    Verifying PkgCatalog.z.
                    Extracting PkgCatalog.z.
                    Loading update configuration from: PkgCatalog.xml
                    Verifying V2datdet.mcs.
                    Product(s) running the latest DATs.
                    Verifying VSE870Det.McS.
                    Searching available updates for McAfee VirusScan Enterprise 8.7.0.
                    Updates were not applied because packages were not in the repository: VSCANCEU1000, EXTRADAT1000, BOCVSE__1000.
                    Update Finished
                    Closing the update session.

Problem 3
                    Both DAT and Engine updates are successful.

Problem 4
                    Errors only reported after upgrade from VirusScan Enterprise 8.5i
                    Cause
                    This error is due to these specific packages not being checked into the ePO repository.
                    Solution
                    For the time being for these packages, at least the log errors can be ignored.

Missing Package Comments
                    VSCANCEU1000 Engine update component that is not yet utilized or posted
                    BOCVSE__1000 Content update that is not yet utilized or posted
                    EXTRADAT1000 This is because no extra.dat is posted to the download site.

Previous Document ID 616895

Thanks,
                    Ron Metzger
                    • 7. RE: update problem for McAfee Enterprise 8.7i

Grif, I notice you still recommend to use another malware removal product over Mcafee's Malware removal products. Why is that?

Shouldn't McAfee products be able to also remove these pieces of malware with a stinger or during a new vscan installation, and if not, will this be addressed anytime soon? Do you have a ticket open for this? I would think that McAfee should have a stinger or dat definition that could remove the malware without adding another companies malware removal tool to the mix. What gives?

Would you also recommend Malwarebytes Enterprise malware solution over McAfee's Enterprise malware solution as well? I have noticed it seems to excel at malware removal compared to McAfee's AntiSpyware\SiteAdvisor solution. What are your thoughts?

Thanks
                      • 8. RE: update problem for McAfee Enterprise 8.7i
                        McLovin,

Grif, I notice you still recommend to use another malware removal product over Mcafee's Malware removal products. Why is that?

Simple... Currently, they work better than any removal tool available and tend to remove certain types of specified multi-faceted spyware correctly. Notice that I said "Currently". There's a reason for that.. Malware morphs over time and a tool that worked once may not work at a later time.. Staying loyal to any tool means that you may get left behind if you don't watch for the program that works best "now".

As to recommendations for other tools, since this is a McAfee forum, I won't do so here.. In addition, I've not used the Enterprise tools for SuperAntispyware or Malwarebytes so I don't know whether their "real-time" scanners do the job as designed.. A reliable Enterprise product must run well on a number of different operating systems, with a number of different configurations, and I've not seen or heard any good test results about those particular products..

I do not have a ticket regarding the specific issue mentioned by I AM aware that McAfee technicians and such are aware of the problem.. Whether it will be fixed, who knows but over the years I have noticed that McAfee has always been a great virus and worm detector, but no so great at finding trojans and such..

In my side business of cleaning out badly infested computers, I HAVE seen this though.. Currently, in order to remove ALL the junk from an infected computer, it takes multiple tools to do so.. There is no "one" product that will find it all.. It's why I generally recommend scanning with two removal programs.

Hope this helps.

Grif
                        • 9. RE: update problem for McAfee Enterprise 8.7i
                          After uninstalling and prior installing 8.7, did you install McAfee Common Framework 4.0.0.1345?
                          8.7 needs agent 4.0...

reg, Henno