Skip navigation
McAfee Secure sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
This discussion is archived
109345 Views 364 Replies Latest reply: Jul 4, 2012 11:11 PM by Peacekeeper RSS Go to original post 1 ... 23 24 25 26 27 ... 37 Previous Next
  • lidarose Newcomer 4 posts since
    May 7, 2012
    Currently Being Moderated
    240. May 7, 2012 9:04 PM (in response to lidarose)
    Re: McAfee Service Host Problem

P.S. - FYI,  I'm running McAfee Security Center V. 11.0, Build 11.0.669, Personal Firewall V. 12.0, Build 12.0.351

Lida

• Peacekeeper Volunteer Moderator 21,354 posts since
    Nov 23, 2002
    241. May 7, 2012 9:13 PM (in response to lidarose)

Allow or block Internet connections
    You can change your settings to allow or block Internet connections for your programs.

It does similiar to Siteadvisor The techs say fine to do it for a short time.

Tony
    Volunteer Moderator
    Mcafee Total Protection 7.0 beta, Windows 8 64bit
    No Unrequested PMs please
    Do you have an idea for improving McAfee products? Please share it in the new Ideas community space!  NOTE: You must register an account first.

• bender.b.rodriguez Newcomer 5 posts since
    May 7, 2012
    242. May 8, 2012 5:12 AM (in response to Peacekeeper)

Which feature is causing this problem?  Sit Advisor or Netguard?  Thanx

• rpsf Newcomer 2 posts since
    May 2, 2012
    243. May 8, 2012 2:49 PM (in response to Peacekeeper)

Hi Peacekeeper,

Sorry fo the late reply. My affid is 755.

I currently have Site Advisor 3.4.0 and ScriptScan 14.4.1 disabled.

Getting fewer svchost errors but today I had a sync error.

I am just about ready  to take the advice of others  and uninstall those 2 programs to see if this goes away.

where is the latest patch that you are referring to?

• Peacekeeper Volunteer Moderator 21,354 posts since
    Nov 23, 2002
    244. May 8, 2012 4:04 PM (in response to rpsf)

It is coming as I mentioned I cannot say the exact date as I got burnt doing that previously.

It is soon

Tony
    Volunteer Moderator
    Mcafee Total Protection 7.0 beta, Windows 8 64bit
    No Unrequested PMs please
    Do you have an idea for improving McAfee products? Please share it in the new Ideas community space!  NOTE: You must register an account first.

• mizkelmo Newcomer 3 posts since
    May 8, 2012
    245. May 8, 2012 6:17 PM (in response to Dinz)

I"m new to this forum/group and I'm experiencing the same problems.  I have to admit I'm pretty discouraged.    I am living on very low income right now and sank $50.00 into McAfee Internet Security 2012.  I've had nothing but problems since then.  I get the McAfee Service Host error message as well and then I can't browse anything no matter which browser I use.  My computer is SO slow, it's infuriating and I can't afford to replace this program.   I'm being told I have a virus in the computer which makes me even more angry since I trusted McAfee to protect my computer from viruses.

I'm running Windows XP

It doesn't matter which browser I use, it affects all of them.  (Google chrome, IE, Firefox)

I also have issues with it shutting down Chrome.

I always send in the error reports but I have a feeling that nothing is done with those anyways.

I think I'm done with McAfee. Just not sure if I can afford another antivirus.

Message was edited by: mizkelmo on 08/05/12 6:17:52 CDT PM
  • Hayton Volunteer Moderator 4,600 posts since
    Sep 27, 2010
    246. May 8, 2012 6:40 PM (in response to mizkelmo)

@mizkelmo :

At least two issues here, maybe three.

First things first. What's the system spec for your machine - what's the CPU, what's the processor speed, how much RAM?  You can hunt for the information in Windows, or get it from Speccy.

You can get some performance improvements by doing the usual things - delete any old and unwanted programs (Java is a prime candidate if you've got it; do you really need Flash/Adobe Reader/Silverlight et al?), run Disk Cleanup, schedule a chkdsk for the next reboot (check the box for Fix System File Errors), run Defrag. Beyond that you need to delve a little further and start disabling unneeded services and browser add-ons.

McSvHost can be instructed to restart automatically whenever it fails - then, it remains annoying but shouldn't mess up your browsing. You need to go into services.msc and call up the Properties for mcsvhost and change the settings.

As to possible infections : McAfee can be beaten, by so-called zero-day exploits. Then it's a case of catch-up. The best thing to do if you suspect something's there that McAfee can't detect is to get a second opinion - run a free scan from Microsoft and Malwarebytes. As you've got XP you can run Windows Defender alongside McAfee (although there's a performance hit at start-up).

Message was edited by: Hayton - change link -  on 09/05/12 00:40:09 IST

Volunteer Moderator  Leeds, UK
    No PM's please
  • jlcavor Newcomer 52 posts since
    Nov 11, 2007
    247. May 8, 2012 7:26 PM (in response to mizkelmo)

If you want to avoid all the grief that others have been discussing here for months, I'd suggest you remove McAfee completely. Go to there site for the instructions on how to do this. They also offer a clean up tool to remove any remnants. Then down load Microsoft Essentials from the Microsoft website. The reviews for it are very good and best of all it's free and it updates itself once per day automatically. I say this after being a McAfee customer for years. I have manged to stop the problems for me by removing SiteAdvisor. Unfortunately, for others that does not work .

If this problem is not fix for the rest of the McAfee community I will switch to Microsift Essentials at the end of the year when my subscription comes up for renewal.

Good luck!

• bender.b.rodriguez Newcomer 5 posts since
    May 7, 2012
    248. May 8, 2012 7:42 PM (in response to bender.b.rodriguez)

bender.b.rodriguez wrote:

Which feature is causing this problem?  Sit Advisor or Netguard?  Thanx

Hello - any inputs here?

• Hayton Volunteer Moderator 4,600 posts since
    Sep 27, 2010
    249. May 8, 2012 7:47 PM (in response to bender.b.rodriguez)

You'll have to wait for Tony. He's on Australia time, so allow for the timezone difference. It's morning, he could be out.

Volunteer Moderator  Leeds, UK
    No PM's please
1 ... 23 24 25 26 27 ... 37 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (4)

Legend

• Correct Answers - 5 points
  • Helpful Answers - 3 points