1 2 3 Previous Next 26 Replies Latest reply on Dec 8, 2011 8:35 AM by maneld

MVT reports missing files

Hi,

I ran the virtual technician to see if there were any problems with my latest re-install of Antivirus Plus (I have been experiencing problems with the real-time scanner consuming way too much of the cpu power and therefore tried to re-intall Antivirus Plus). MVT reported that there were files missing from the SecurityCenter. The same files were missing before I uninstalled the previous version as well. I don't know if this could explain my problems with the rea-time scanner, but here is what MVT reported:

Product Name:SecurityCenter
      Product Version:11.0.623
      Language:sv
      Partner:Dell
      Health Check Details
                        Registry                                      OK                   
                        File                12 file(s) incorrect                     
                                      Expected File not Present                             
                                    File: C:\Program\common files\mcafee\mcsvchost\mcshins.dll
                                    File: C:\Program\common files\mcafee\mcsvchost\mcsvhost.exe
                                    File: C:\Program\common files\mcafee\mcsvchost\mcsvhver.dll
                                    File: C:\Program\common files\mcafee\msc\mcbrwsr2.dll
                                    File: C:\Program\common files\mcafee\msc\mcscrhlp.dll
                                    File: C:\Program\common files\mcafee\msc\mcutil.dll
                                    File: C:\Program\common files\mcafee\msc\misplf.dll
                                    File: C:\Program\common files\mcafee\msc\sqlite3.dll
                                    File: C:\Program\common files\mcafee\core\mccoreps.dll
                                    File: C:\Program\common files\mcafee\core\mcevtbrk.dll
                                    File: C:\Program\common files\mcafee\core\mchost.exe
                                    File: C:\Program\common files\mcafee\msc\mcdspwrp.dll
                        Process                                      OK                   
                        Service                                      OK                   
                        COM                                      OK                   
                        Top Issues                                      OK                   
                        SYSTEM                                      OK                   

Are these dll-files critical? If so, how can I get them, and why wheren't they installed in the first place?

Thanks!

• 1. Re: MVT reports missing files
          Tracy Romine

Here's what you need to do.  Uninstall AntiVirus Plus.  Then run the McAfee Product Removal tool: http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?id=TS100507

This will remove all traces of previous installations.  Then reinstall AntiVirus Plus.  This should address it.

• 2. Re: MVT reports missing files

Thank you for your reply! The thing is, I just uninstalled AntiVirus Plus again and ran the removal tool before I reinstalled. After that I ran MVT again and got the same results - the same files were missing. Is it possible that the installation package for AntiVirus Plus that I downloaded from my account on McAfee's site contains a bug? Does the download link on my account pages always link to exactly the same version of the software, or is it being updated as bugs are discovered and corrected?

• 3. Re: MVT reports missing files
              Tracy Romine

Sun,

I've not seen any widespread reports of buggy software, so I'm thinking it must be something else.  Might be time to engage a true Tech Support agent via Chat or Phone.  http://service.mcafee.com.  Let me know how it works out.

• 4. Re: MVT reports missing files

tromine,

it seems like the real-time scanner has relaxed a bit since the latest reinstall. Anyway, I followed your advice and contacted tech support. They could not explain (or at least they did not explain it to me) why the MVT reports missing files after each reainstallation. They checked my system and said that everything looked ok, and that I should not worry about the missing files.... I hope everything works well with the antivirus system in the future, but I can't help wondering whether those missing dll-files will lead to problems in the future whenever one of them is invoked by a McAfee process...

Thanks for the help!

• 5. Re: MVT reports missing files
                  Raghavendra

Sun,

Could you please attach the file, %appdata%\McAfee\Supportability\MVTLogs\Results\result.xml, from your machine to analyze the files missing issue by MVT?

thanks

Raghavendra

• 6. Re: MVT reports missing files

Raghavendra,

thanks a lot for pointing out a more detailed log file! I looked through it and found the reason for why MVT reports missing files. Apparently, MVT looks for the files in a sub-directory of  "C:\Program\common files". There is, however, no directory called "common files" on my machine. I don't have an english verision of Windows, and some directories don't have english names. I checked the directory that corresponds to "common files" on my machine though, and all the "missing" files were there, in their corresponding subfolders. It seems like everything is fine with my install and that MVT just looked in the wrong directory and reported some false errors in this case. If the antivirus software wouldn't be able to find all those files, I am quite sure I would have noticed by now...

I am posting the relevant section of the log here:

- <product typecheckkey="11.0" insdir_mqc="" insdir_mshr="" insdir_msm="c:\program\mcafee\msm" version="11.0.623" commondir="" insdir="c:\program\mcafee\msc" platform="XP_SP3" ostype="32" partner="105" lcid="" lang="sv" updateurl="C:/Program/mcafee.com/agent/MCUPDATE.EXE</manual>" name="SecurityCenter" type="consumer" code="msc" iedep="yes" ConfigFile="MSC11_32.xml" state="111111000" buildno="623" pvid="265" partnername="Dell" managed="0" uninstallurl="" unexpectedfileurl="" productlevel="1" coll_size="" collectionfolder="C:\Documents and Settings\user\Application Data\McAfee\Supportability\MVTLogs\Results\265" errorid="0" errorinfo="" logerrorinfo="">

<variables>

<variable name="MSM_INSTALL_DIR" value="c:\program\mcafee\msm" />

<variable name="MVT_INSTALL_DIR" value="c:\program\mcafee\msc" />

<variable name="MVT_LCID" value="1053" />

<variable name="dynamic_folder" value="11,0,575,0" />

<variable name="MVT_PROD_LANG" value="sv" />

<variable name="MVT_PROD_DOMAIN" value="se.mcafee.com" />

</variables>

<component comtype="1" />
                    #  <component comtype="2">
                                 <deviation id="19612" devtype="1" devtypeid="6" uidescid="-29" IsTopIssue="" alttextid="0" url="0" ui="1" db="1" log="1" autofix="0" isfixable="0" text="" reboot="0" expected="present" existing="not present" isdetected="1" compname="C:\Program\common           files\mcafee\mcsvchost\mcshins.dll" gcount="12" isfixed="null" alttext="" desc="Filer saknas" altremtext="" />
                              <deviation id="19613" devtype="1" devtypeid="6" uidescid="-29" IsTopIssue="" alttextid="0" url="0" ui="1" db="1" log="1" autofix="0" isfixable="0" text="" reboot="0" expected="present" existing="not present" isdetected="1" compname="C:\Program\common      files\mcafee\mcsvchost\mcsvhost.exe" isfixed="null" alttext="" desc="Filer saknas" altremtext="" /> 
                              <deviation id="16204" devtype="1" devtypeid="6" uidescid="-29" IsTopIssue="" alttextid="0" url="0" ui="1" db="1" log="1" autofix="0" isfixable="0" text="" reboot="0" expected="present" existing="not present" isdetected="1" compname="C:\Program\common      files\mcafee\mcsvchost\mcsvhver.dll" isfixed="null" alttext="" desc="Filer saknas" altremtext="" /> 
                              <deviation id="16205" devtype="1" devtypeid="6" uidescid="-29" IsTopIssue="" alttextid="0" url="0" ui="1" db="1" log="1" autofix="0" isfixable="0" text="" reboot="0" expected="present" existing="not present" isdetected="1" compname="C:\Program\common      files\mcafee\msc\mcbrwsr2.dll" isfixed="null" alttext="" desc="Filer saknas" altremtext="" />
                           <deviation id="16206" devtype="1" devtypeid="6" uidescid="-29" IsTopIssue="" alttextid="0" url="0" ui="1" db="1" log="1" autofix="0" isfixable="0" text="" reboot="0" expected="present" existing="not present" isdetected="1" compname="C:\Program\common      files\mcafee\msc\mcscrhlp.dll" isfixed="null" alttext="" desc="Filer saknas" altremtext="" />

<deviation id="19614" devtype="1" devtypeid="6" uidescid="-29" IsTopIssue="" alttextid="0" url="0" ui="1" db="1" log="1" autofix="0" isfixable="0" text="" reboot="0" expected="present" existing="not present" isdetected="1" compname="C:\Program\common           files\mcafee\msc\mcutil.dll" isfixed="null" alttext="" desc="Filer saknas" altremtext="" />

<deviation id="16208" devtype="1" devtypeid="6" uidescid="-29" IsTopIssue="" alttextid="0" url="0" ui="1" db="1" log="1" autofix="0" isfixable="0" text="" reboot="0" expected="present" existing="not present" isdetected="1" compname="C:\Program\common           files\mcafee\msc\misplf.dll" isfixed="null" alttext="" desc="Filer saknas" altremtext="" />

<deviation id="16209" devtype="1" devtypeid="6" uidescid="-29" IsTopIssue="" alttextid="0" url="0" ui="1" db="1" log="1" autofix="0" isfixable="0" text="" reboot="0" expected="present" existing="not present" isdetected="1" compname="C:\Program\common           files\mcafee\msc\sqlite3.dll" isfixed="null" alttext="" desc="Filer saknas" altremtext="" />

<deviation id="16210" devtype="1" devtypeid="6" uidescid="-29" IsTopIssue="" alttextid="0" url="0" ui="1" db="1" log="1" autofix="0" isfixable="0" text="" reboot="0" expected="present" existing="not present" isdetected="1" compname="C:\Program\common           files\mcafee\core\mccoreps.dll" isfixed="null" alttext="" desc="Filer saknas" altremtext="" />

<deviation id="16211" devtype="1" devtypeid="6" uidescid="-29" IsTopIssue="" alttextid="0" url="0" ui="1" db="1" log="1" autofix="0" isfixable="0" text="" reboot="0" expected="present" existing="not present" isdetected="1" compname="C:\Program\common           files\mcafee\core\mcevtbrk.dll" isfixed="null" alttext="" desc="Filer saknas" altremtext="" />

<deviation id="16212" devtype="1" devtypeid="6" uidescid="-29" IsTopIssue="" alttextid="0" url="0" ui="1" db="1" log="1" autofix="0" isfixable="0" text="" reboot="0" expected="present" existing="not present" isdetected="1" compname="C:\Program\common           files\mcafee\core\mchost.exe" isfixed="null" alttext="" desc="Filer saknas" altremtext="" />

<deviation id="16247" devtype="1" devtypeid="6" uidescid="-29" IsTopIssue="" alttextid="0" url="0" ui="1" db="1" log="1" autofix="0" isfixable="0" text="" reboot="0" expected="present" existing="not present" isdetected="1" compname="C:\Program\common           files\mcafee\msc\mcdspwrp.dll" isfixed="null" alttext="" desc="Filer saknas" altremtext="" /

</component>

<component comtype="5" />

<component comtype="8" />

<component comtype="9" />

</product>

• 7. Re: MVT reports missing files

I just realized that the file paths were part of my first post...   Sorry for not noticing sooner...

• 8. Re: MVT reports missing files
                        Tracy Romine

Happy ending.  I'm escalating to our MVT Dev team for consideration on what to do with non-English Windows, if in fact that's the issue.  Thanks!

• 9. Re: MVT reports missing files
                          maneld

I'm experiecing the same problem and McSvHost problems (error and it is closed)

Security Center 11.0.623

12 files missing

Product Name:SecurityCenter
                          Product Version:11.0.623
                          Language:es
                          Partner:McAfee
                          Health Check Details
                          Registry OK
                          File 12 file(s) incorrect
                          File: C:\Archivos de programa\common files\mcafee\mcsvchost\mcshins.dll
                          File: C:\Archivos de programa\common files\mcafee\mcsvchost\mcsvhost.exe
                          File: C:\Archivos de programa\common files\mcafee\mcsvchost\mcsvhver.dll
                          File: C:\Archivos de programa\common files\mcafee\msc\mcbrwsr2.dll
                          File: C:\Archivos de programa\common files\mcafee\msc\mcscrhlp.dll
                          File: C:\Archivos de programa\common files\mcafee\msc\mcutil.dll
                          File: C:\Archivos de programa\common files\mcafee\msc\misplf.dll
                          File: C:\Archivos de programa\common files\mcafee\msc\sqlite3.dll
                          File: C:\Archivos de programa\common files\mcafee\core\mccoreps.dll
                          File: C:\Archivos de programa\common files\mcafee\core\mcevtbrk.dll
                          File: C:\Archivos de programa\common files\mcafee\core\mchost.exe
                          File: C:\Archivos de programa\common files\mcafee\msc\mcdspwrp.dll

Tanks for helping

1 2 3 Previous Next