4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 23, 2011 8:13 PM by thecreator

Outlook 2003 on Windows 7 hangs with Security Centre 11.0 - why

I have Microsoft Outlook 2003 running on Windows 7 and it has been running stably for several months, ever since I got my new laptop in the spring.

Recently my cable ISP discontinued its F-Prot derived antivirus program and switched to McAfee Security Centre 11.0 as the program it offers its subscribers. Ever since I've installed McAfee, Outlook unpredictably hangs/freezes with the window displaying incorrectly. It does this several times a day, unpredictably. It needs Task Manager to shut it down. It seems to start up again fine after that.

I thought it might be the anti-spam part of Security Center and shut it off, but the problem persists.

Anyone else encounter this problem and have a solution?

Thanks

• 1. Re: Outlook 2003 on Windows 7 hangs with Security Centre 11.0 - why
          Dinz

Hello ,

Please let us know the following information ;

How Old is the computer ?

Please open Internet explorer – Click on Tools – Click on Windows Update and install any available updates.

Also, Open McAfee security center – Click on About and let us know ;

McAfee Security center ;

Version :

Build :

Aff id :

McAfee Virus Scan :

Version :

DAT :

Thanks

• 2. Re: Outlook 2003 on Windows 7 hangs with Security Centre 11.0 - why
            thecreator

ajzimm wrote:

I have Microsoft Outlook 2003 running on Windows 7 and it has been running stably for several months, ever since I got my new laptop in the spring.

Recently my cable ISP discontinued its F-Prot derived antivirus program and switched to McAfee Security Centre 11.0 as the program it offers its subscribers. Ever since I've installed McAfee, Outlook unpredictably hangs/freezes with the window displaying incorrectly. It does this several times a day, unpredictably. It needs Task Manager to shut it down. It seems to start up again fine after that.

I thought it might be the anti-spam part of Security Center and shut it off, but the problem persists.

Anyone else encounter this problem and have a solution?

Thanks

Hi ajzimm,

While Outlook 2003, runs in Windows 7, it wasn't designed for Windows 7.

What is your Windows 7 version? What Service Pack Level? 32-Bit or 64-Bit? Is Internet Explorer 9.0 installed?

• 3. Re: Outlook 2003 on Windows 7 hangs with Security Centre 11.0 - why

Dinesh,

thanks for taking the time to reply. Answers to your questions:

Computer is Toshiba Notebook about 8 months old

All "important" updates were installed, but there was one optional, KB 2607576 that wasn't, so I just installed it now

McAfee Security center ;

Version : 11.0

Build : 11.0.623

Aff id : 876

McAfee Virus Scan :

Version : 15.0

DAT : 6537

thecreator,

I had no problems whatsoever running Outlook 2003 on Windows 7 for 7+ months until McAfee was installed

Version is Windows 7 Home Premium, 64 bit OS, service pack 1 installed

Internet Explorer 9 is installed, version 9.0.8112.16421

Thanks to both

• 4. Re: Outlook 2003 on Windows 7 hangs with Security Centre 11.0 - why
                thecreator

Hi ajzimm,

Before you ran McAfee and installed it, did you use F-Prot's Clean Tool to remove all traces of F-Prot from your computer? McAfee has such a Clean Tool.

Suggestion:

Download the Clean Tool for McAfee.

Download the Clean Tool for F-Prot.

Uninstall McAfee from the Programs and Features. Reboot.

Run the McAfee Clean Tool. Reboot.

Run the F-Prot Clean Tool. Reboot.

Use Explore and go to your \Temp Folders and delete all possible files and sub-folders in them.

Run Disk Cleanup. Schedule a Chkdsk /f for the operating system's partition and reboot to run it. Reboot the computer.

Download and install McAfee. Reboot and do the Program Permissions in the McAfee Firewall.

Report back.