5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 17, 2011 12:30 PM by Hayton

Security Scan Plus found imagebam.com

Hello, I'm from Germany, I got me the free Security Scan Plus - not full version. On a regular base it scans my system. Now I got a message, that on one website "imagebam.com" could be found risks.

I deleted the cookies already and made an additional scan by Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, it could not find anything. But I still get the message on the McAfee Security Scan Plus.

What can I do next?mcafee.jpg

• 1. Re: Security Scan Plus found imagebam.com
          Peter M

Security Scan Plus is a virus scanner, only it's limited to active processes & is not a substitute for a proper antivirus and firewall etc. etc..

It is an optional download that you may have overlooked when you install Adobe products (for one example) and can be uninstalled via Control Panel > Programs > Uninstall a Program (Add or Remove Programs in XP).

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 17/11/11 11:27:55 EST AM
          • 2. Re: Security Scan Plus found imagebam.com
            Peter M

Moved to General Discussion as a more appropriate spot.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 17/11/11 7:11:00 EST AM
            • 3. Re: Security Scan Plus found imagebam.com
              Hayton

Security Scan Plus carries out some safety checks when it is run. It is primarily intended as a quick check on the current operational status of installed McAfee programs, but it also checks browsing history for recently-visited websites and displays a warning if any of them are listed by SiteAdvisor as potentially unsafe. That is what has happened here. If a user clicks on "Fix Now" ("Jetzt beheben") then the browsing history is cleared and all cookies are deleted (either for the detected site(s) or for all sites). The Help for Security Scan Plus does not say whether the product also checks for any in-memory malware, but I believe it does this also.

Security Scan Plus Help 1.JPG

I could not cut and paste the text from Help, so I have summarised the information that is displayed in the above screenshot.

Edit  - and of course, Security Scan Plus is a marketing tool to sell McAfee products. No doubt about that.

Message was edited by: Hayton on 17/11/11 13:28:00 GMT
              • 4. Re: Security Scan Plus found imagebam.com

But that means I have to buy the full version? I only get that page if I click on "Fix now"

• 5. Re: Security Scan Plus found imagebam.com
                  Hayton

You don't have to buy anything unless you want to. But Security Scan Plus does not protect you from viruses, trojans, or anything else, at least not in real-time. It is an introduction to anti-virus protection, not the protection itself.

There are free antivirus programs available, if you don't want to pay for full McAfee protection. I believe Microsoft's MSE is quite respected.