4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 15, 2011 3:16 PM by wwarren

Can McAfee affect automatic service start?

We have a situation where our service in a previous version started fine at computer reboot. The same service, after an update of the binary,

is not started automatically but then can be started manually after the system is up.

There are no traces in the event log. It seems that the service is not even started at all as if it's start is refused by some mechanism.

The service depends on VS2008 redistributables, FWIW.

Could it be a signature issue? The service requires the right to read the SID but that's all done after the service has come up.

We tried to reproduce the situation with a freshly set up 2008 R2 server and cannot reproduce the error as it occurs on the customers' site.

--

Christoph

on 14.11.11 09:23:39 CST
        • 1. Re: Can McAfee affect automatic service start?
          Peter M

This area is for help using these forums....you previous posts were in Enterprise so what product are you using so I can move this thread accordingly?

• 2. Re: Can McAfee affect automatic service start?

Oh sorry. How could I get into this one:)?

It's Virus Scan Enterprise, as my previous posts were also refering to.

Could you move my post into the right thread? Thank you.

--

Christoph

• 3. Re: Can McAfee affect automatic service start?
              Peter M

Moved to VSE for better attention.

• 4. Re: Can McAfee affect automatic service start?
                wwarren

krischu wrote:

We have a situation where our service in a previous version started fine at computer reboot. The same service, after an update of the binary,

is not started automatically but then can be started manually after the system is up.

There are no traces in the event log. It seems that the service is not even started at all as if it's start is refused by some mechanism.

The service depends on VS2008 redistributables, FWIW.

Could it be a signature issue? The service requires the right to read the SID but that's all done after the service has come up.

We tried to reproduce the situation with a freshly set up 2008 R2 server and cannot reproduce the error as it occurs on the customers' site.

--

Christoph

on 14.11.11 09:23:39 CST

It sounds very unusual.

If the service did not start automatically when configured to do so, I would have expected Service Control Manager (SCM) to log an event to indicate such - but, perhaps does your service do some "magic" to give SCM the impression your service is "healthy" before it has actually finished initializing?

What is the final state of your service when the issue occurs - paused, stopped, or perpetually "starting"?

I doubt this behavior has any relation to VirusScan except to say that VirusScan has services contributing to the start time and machine work load, which indirectly affects everything.