That suggestion appears to still be current though I and many users have been running Mcafee with IE9 since IE9 came out in rel;ease version.
I assume you have done this
- Check the version of IE , if they are completely blank then proceed to step 2 Are they?
- Open command prompt :
- type: regsvr32 jscript.dll and press enter
- Regsvr32 vbscript.dll and press enter
- Run IEREGfix.bat for IE 6 & 7
- Uninstall the current version of IE (Degrade IE)
I will reask the techs on Monday
Thanks for the rapid response.
Yeah, we've tried all that and still no joy. Of all the troublshooting we did on the phone / via chat with TS AFTER trying all the "recommended" fixes in teh FAQ etc. was when they told me to wait a few more updates of McAfee Security Center and the problem might be fixed.
I have IE9 installed in both Vista and Windows 7 with no problems involving McAfee. This ongoing issue mystifies me as I only saw it way back when testing IE7/8/9 beta.
Have you tried a simple reset - go to Tools/Internet Options/Advanced and click Reset/Apply/OK. Close and reopen the browser and go to Tools/Manage Add-Ons and re-enable any you need.
Lastly this is, I trust, Windows 7 SP1? Also if you are using any registry cleaners or optimizers, stop, as this is typical of the end result from running them.
Yep - "been there, done that". That was one of the first things tried by TS (remotely operating my machine) and after an hour or so, came to the "uninstall IE 9 updated and don't reinstall for a while" (August of this year).
And yes, it is sp1 with all the auto updates to bring the OS up-to-date. However, to be able to see the McAfee UI I have to then uninstall the IE update, and I am back to basic 8.0.
Display drivers up-to-date (NVidia Quadro FX 1800), no reg optimizers, no errors or warnings in event logs, Java up-to-date, and it makes no difference if I use IE 32-bit or IE 64-bit to download / install latest JRE and plug-ins. I've also done the complete deactivate-uninstall of McAfee, then update to IE 9 then install fresh download, reactivate and same problem. All I have to to is roll-back from IE 9 to IE 8 and the problem goes away.
Installe .NET 4 runtime environment and security patches, still no difference.
I was just hoping someone knew something else to try that TS and McAfee KB don't know about that will actually work.
Thanks. Last suggestion which you've no doubt already tried, is/was Content Advisor turned on in IE? As I said, it's mystifying us - well us Mods at least. Tony has made it a subject for our weekly conference call on Monday afternoon, yet again.
It's one those things that I can't help feeling has a very simple answer, which unfortunately is escaping us all.
Content adviser was disabled as described in one of the troublshooting articles I read. I should also mention that, as a result of the experience on the z800 workstation I haven't let IE update on my other machines (Win XP and Win 7 32-bit). So I don't know if this is just a problem on Win 7 64-bit as it is the only machine on which I let the IE 9 fix go through on occasion.
Ah well it was just a thought. XP can only go up to IE8 anyway, anything beyond isn't compatible. My machines are all x64 but I am using the 32-bit IE as the default one (the Start/All programs menu shows them both in a 64-bit machine), when I use IE, as most add-ons aren't designed for use with a 64-bit browser.
On the Win 7 64-bit system (the 'problem' machine), IE is not my primary (default) browser. But since McAfee runs its interface as an IE window, i can't simply uninstall it. I also use it to cross-check if other browsers have page / site loading / drawing problems. And I have the 32-bit version of IE on the quick start toolbar since it is the one I use for testing etc. Unfortunately I have not found a way to update just the 32-bit version as the Windows update does both and I can't find a stand-alone download of just a 32-bit IE 9 install on the MS sites.
.... Just checked the Win 7 32-bit (laptop) and found my wife (primary user) allowed the IE 9 update to go through and Security Center's UI looks and operates as expected. So that would suggest that the problem is with the 64-bit version combo of IE / Win 7.
64-bit should not be a problem - all mine are. Open a case with Technical Support and ask them to escalate it if necessary. Windows Update will update all aspects of your system so that is no problem. You simply use the 32-bit IE when you do use it, that's all.
Meanwhile Tony has asked a question on the agenda for our Monday Conference Call.