1 2 3 Previous Next 62 Replies Latest reply on Jan 23, 2012 10:20 PM by thecreator

When Will Security Center Be Compatible with Internet Explorer 9?

wmcole

HP z800 workstation, dual quad-core processors, 8 GB RAM, 2.5 TB disk space, Windows 7 Pro 64-bit.

I've been waiting for months for McAfee products to become compatible with IE 9.  Everytime I let Windows Update run the "recommended" IE 9 updated, security center's UI displays blank except for background an logo, and drop-down controls.  Nont of the text command options appear and only the window close gadget appears to be active.

Having gone through the debugging process over a two-month period with McAfee phone and only chat support, the only solution appears to be to roll back to IE 8 whenever this happens.  We've tried the IE settings changes, MVT, jre dll fixes, complete uninstalls and reinstall with and without registry cleaning, yadda yadda yadda.  The final solution from tech support was to 'wait for a few more updates' of McAfee Internet Security to be able to install and run with IE 9. 

Well, that was months ago, and McAfee still cannot present a working, "populated" UI in Security Center when IE 9 is installed.

Does McAfee have any intention of fixing this problem, or is it time dump them in favor of another anivirus/malware package that WILL allow me to install IE security updates including the update from IE 8.0 to IE 9?

wmc

• 1. Re: When Will Security Center Be Compatible with Internet Explorer 9?
          Peacekeeper

That suggestion appears to still be current though I and many users have been running Mcafee with IE9 since IE9 came out in rel;ease version.

I assume you have done this

1. Check the version of IE , if they are completely blank then proceed to step 2 Are they?
          2. Open command prompt :
            1. type: regsvr32 jscript.dll and press enter
            2. Regsvr32 vbscript.dll and press enter   
          3. Run IEREGfix.bat for IE 6 & 7
          4. Uninstall the current version of IE (Degrade IE)

I will reask the techs on Monday

• 2. Re: When Will Security Center Be Compatible with Internet Explorer 9?
            wmcole

Thanks for the rapid response.

Yeah, we've tried all that and still no joy.  Of all the troublshooting we did on the phone / via chat with TS AFTER trying all the "recommended" fixes in teh FAQ etc. was when they told me to wait a few more updates of McAfee Security Center and the problem might be fixed.

wmc

• 3. Re: When Will Security Center Be Compatible with Internet Explorer 9?
              Peter M

I have IE9 installed in both Vista and Windows 7 with no problems involving McAfee.   This ongoing issue mystifies me as I only saw it way back when testing IE7/8/9 beta.

Have you tried a simple reset - go to Tools/Internet Options/Advanced and click Reset/Apply/OK.  Close and reopen the browser and go to Tools/Manage Add-Ons and re-enable any you need.

Lastly this is, I trust, Windows 7 SP1?   Also if you are using any registry cleaners or optimizers, stop, as this is typical of the end result from running them.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 12/11/11 7:42:59 EST AM
              • 4. Re: When Will Security Center Be Compatible with Internet Explorer 9?
                wmcole

Yep - "been there, done that".  That was one of the first things tried by TS (remotely  operating my machine) and after an hour or so, came to the "uninstall IE 9 updated and don't reinstall for a while"  (August of this year).

And yes, it is sp1 with all the auto updates to bring the OS up-to-date.  However, to be able to see the McAfee UI I have to then uninstall the IE update, and I am back to basic 8.0.

Display drivers up-to-date (NVidia Quadro FX 1800), no reg optimizers, no errors or warnings in event logs, Java up-to-date, and it makes no difference if I use IE 32-bit or IE 64-bit to download / install latest JRE and plug-ins.   I've also done the complete deactivate-uninstall of McAfee, then update to IE 9 then install fresh download, reactivate and same problem.  All I have to to is roll-back from IE 9 to IE 8 and the problem goes away. 

Installe .NET 4 runtime environment and security patches, still no difference.

I was just hoping someone knew something else to try that TS and McAfee KB don't know about that will actually work.

• 5. Re: When Will Security Center Be Compatible with Internet Explorer 9?
                  Peter M

Thanks. Last suggestion which you've no doubt already tried, is/was Content Advisor turned on in IE?  As I said, it's mystifying us - well us Mods at least.   Tony has made it a subject for our weekly conference call on Monday afternoon, yet again.  

It's one those things that I can't help feeling has a very simple answer, which unfortunately is escaping us all.  

• 6. Re: When Will Security Center Be Compatible with Internet Explorer 9?
                    wmcole

Content adviser was disabled as described in one of the troublshooting articles I read.  I should also mention that, as a result of the experience on the z800 workstation I haven't let IE update on my other machines (Win XP and Win 7 32-bit).  So I don't know if this is just a problem on Win 7 64-bit as it is the only machine on which I let the IE 9 fix go through on occasion.

wmc

• 7. Re: When Will Security Center Be Compatible with Internet Explorer 9?
                      Peter M

Ah well it was just a thought.  XP can only go up to IE8 anyway, anything beyond isn't compatible.   My machines are all x64 but I am using the 32-bit IE as the default one (the Start/All programs menu shows them both in a 64-bit machine), when I use IE, as most add-ons aren't designed for use with a 64-bit browser.

• 8. Re: When Will Security Center Be Compatible with Internet Explorer 9?
                        wmcole

On the Win 7 64-bit system (the 'problem' machine), IE is not my primary (default) browser. But since McAfee runs its interface as an IE window, i can't simply uninstall it.  I also use it to cross-check if other browsers have page / site loading / drawing problems.  And I have the 32-bit version of IE on the quick start toolbar since it is the one I use for testing etc.  Unfortunately I have not found a way to update just the 32-bit version as the Windows update does both and I can't find a stand-alone download of just a 32-bit IE 9 install on the MS sites.   

.... Just checked the Win 7 32-bit (laptop) and found my wife (primary user) allowed the IE 9 update to go through and Security Center's UI looks and operates as expected.  So that would suggest that the problem is with the 64-bit version combo of IE / Win 7.

wmc

• 9. Re: When Will Security Center Be Compatible with Internet Explorer 9?
                          Peter M

64-bit should not be a problem - all mine are.   Open a case with Technical Support and ask them to escalate it if necessary.   Windows Update will update all aspects of your system so that is no problem.   You simply use the 32-bit IE when you do use it, that's all.

Meanwhile Tony has asked a question on the agenda for our Monday Conference Call.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 12/11/11 7:29:36 EST PM
                          1 2 3 Previous Next