after about 2 weeks worth of scanning, mcafee crashes.
maybe it found a really large file or something (I have some zip files that are 10GB and I have test data files that are 9GB).
Fri 11/11/2011 18:19:13.71|C:\DOCUME~1\JIMMIC~1|>\u\df -a *
*C:------------------********************** 1.13TB/ 2.00TB(56.61%)
E:-------------------------*************** 786.10GB/ 2.00TB(39.30%)
TOT:---------------------******************* 1.91TB/ 4.00TB(47.95%)
TOT USED:--------------------******************** 2.08TB/ 4.00TB(52.05%)
Fri 11/11/2011 18:19:23.85|C:\DOCUME~1\JIMMIC~1|>
this is how much free space I have.
mcafee should not load a file into RAM to do its file scans - that is unacceptable (though it may be quick - mcafee using a memory mapped file? I don't know - would that work? never tried that before, might try it sometime with a 9GB file just to see what happens).
anyway, I am having a crash, and it happens every time I scan.
it makes me wonder why I bought this product. I escalated this issue to level 2 or 3 tech support and they said "well, don't do that. 2TB of data is not supported."
I think this is unacceptable.
- mcafee is going to have to get used to the fact that there are mutli-terabyte drives out there. 3TB drives have just come out, and they are only going to get bigger. Antec makes a computer case which can hold 9 drives, and there's a nice 1200W power supply to support them.
- a scan of 2TB of data takes at least 2 weeks. to simply copy this data from drive c: to drive e: with xcopy, it takes 2 days. If you need large test files to fill the drive with, you can create them with a program I wrote: http://sourceforge.net/projects/createfile
- you should get rid of any memory leaks first.
- a session of windows XP Pro becomes less stable as time goes on, so speed of scanning is important. I understood this years and years ago. I don't know if this is due to a bug in mcafee or a bug in windows. could be both. hard to tell, because I have always run with an antivirus package of some type. I know this is working against me here and is not helping my case any, but what can I do? the scan takes 2 weeks+ when it should take 2 days.
- tried mcafee realtime scanner with scheduling off and using clamwin. mcafee tries to remove clamwin temporary sig files as a virus. it's not. clamwin hung in the middle of a scan also. wil probably have to report a bug with them. I am thinking of switching to norton because of the size of my data, but I have no assurances it will work. somebody make *something* work please so I can be a happy customer.
- I know someone with a mac who has 10,000 songs and just about as many high-resolution pictures in multiple copies (has adobe lightroom). stuffs this into 300GB. I think people are going to do a lot more. there are some creative folk out there who do LOTS of things (I am one of them). I have about 50 software projects, and I maintain a 600 page web site and several other web sites, and I do video, photos, music, authoring and lots of other stuff with this computer. just think about business users. if they are doing video, and they are doing scans, they are going to have probably a large RAID system and use it up. so what will mcafee do then?
please fix, thanks.