1 Reply Latest reply on Nov 10, 2011 9:41 AM by sroering

Web Reporter same report with multiple dates

I have a single report that I usually run add hoc for a period of 7 days.  Every now and then I may need ot pull a bunch of these indvidual weekly erports together to grpah out a trend.  Is there a way I can run a report with the sinlge query and filter (that i use all the time) and have it run multiple times but for different dates e.g. start on week on of August 2011 and run a report for every 7 days up till now or a set end date.  Im happy to add the weekly increments myself rather than rely on it working out the dates but I really want it on a sinlge PDF.  Can I add multiple instances on the same query on an advanced report and apply a date period to each one?  Or can someone suggest a way to achieve this.

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Web Reporter same report with multiple dates
          sroering

So the answer is yes and no.  You can iterate over days (one day per table), but you can't iterate over weeks (one week per table).  The feature is called "run report multiple times" and you'll find it under the "advanced" tab when you create/edit an advanced report. I know it's not very well documented and there are not any good examples to follow.  I've been meaning to write a knowledge base article, but haven't gotten around to it yet.  The reason you cannot run over week is that Web Reporter doesn't have a "week" data column, but you can use date, day of week, hour, month, quarter, or year.

The way this feature works, is you generate a list of things to iterate, then the report is run for each item in the list.  For example. Get a list of users who have the most hits for today, then for each user, print a list of their top sites by hits.  Another example, get a list of categories with the most bytes last week, then generate a table with top users by hits for each category.  And the date ranges for the two steps don't need to be the same.  So you could get a list of users with the most browsetime last week, and then get their top sites by browse time this week.

These instructions are for Web Reporter 5.2 which is grealy improved over version 5.1. If you are using Web Reporter 5.1, the queries, filters, and report need to be made in separately. Also, the two sections under reports called "Manage Reports" and "Advanced" are opposite between the versions. Sorry if that is confusing.

I'll walk you through an example.

Step 1: create a query that is used to generate the list of things to iterate over.

1) Go to Reports -> Advanced -> Queries

2) Click Add, and name the query "date list"

3) Let's use the "Web - Summary" data set, and add "date" to the selected columns

4) Go to the Layout tab, and set the number of results to 10.  This will give us up to 10 items (dates in this example) to iterate.

5) Go to the Column Properties tab, and select Date, then set it's sort order to ascending.

6) Click OK. to save the query.  So now we have a query to give us a list of dates in ascending order.

Step 2: Create a report that uses "run report multiple times" that shows top 10 sites by hits for last week..

1) We can do the rest from Manage Reports screen. Go to Reports -> Manage Reports -> Report Console

2) Click Add -> Add Advanced, and name the report "Top 10 Sites by hits last week"

3.1) Click Add -> New Table to start a new query for the report.  Name the query "top sites by hits"

3.2) Leave the data set on "Web - Summary" and add Site Name and Hits to the selected columns.

3.3) Go to the Layout tab, and set the number of results to 10

3.4) Go to the Column Properties tab and set hits to sort descending

3.5) Click OK to save the query

4) Back on the Edit report dialog, go to Filters and set the dates to Past week.

5.1) Go to the Advanced tab and enable "run report multiple times"

5.2) Find the query from Step 1 above in the list.  Expand the folder and select Date

5.3) Click "Select Filters" to open the fitlers dialog. This is where you sent the constraints for the query to generate your list.  If you don't set a date range, then the dates will always be the first 10 days that you have data in the database.  So for dates, select "Past week" so that our list matches the main report filter.  This is the part that most people miss.

5.4) Click OK To set the filters, Click OK to save the report.

Step 3: Run the report.

Be aware that when you run the report, if you modify the date range for the report, you are not modifying the date range or any other filters for the list generation under the advanced tab.  If you wanted to increase this to two weeks or specific dates, you need to edit the report and set the appropriate filters under the advanced tab.

Good luck.