1 2 Previous Next 10 Replies Latest reply on Nov 12, 2011 4:56 PM by Peacekeeper

Full Scan too quickly

carlosvps

There might be sth wrong with my mcafee!

The full scan is too quickly! It used to take like 1 hour to do the scan. Today, it was done in sth like 5-10 minutes!

What might be going on, after all? Am I with some virus?

Also, I noticed that it skip from 1% to 5%....

My fear is that there´s some kind of virus that doesnt allow the mcafee to scan certain files....

Another thing: some days before, mcafee noticed a lot of cookies that was scanned as sth to remove....

What is going on????

Please, somebody... help me!!!!

PS: sorry .... english is not my native language.... and neither my mcafee is in english... its in portuguese! (Im from Brazil!)

• 1. Re: Full Scan too quickly
          Peacekeeper

https://community.mcafee.com/message/209234#209234

That said are you running the same scanned drives ie C or say all your drives before and just doing 1 now?

Did you just get an upgrade to 2011 version ie Virusscan 15 as it scans 100% faster than the old version?

You are doing the same type of scan ie Full not a quick or custom scan?

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Full Scan too quickly
            theflyingmonkey

Is it really true that version 11 scans 100% faster than the older version?  Because I noticed that the 2010 version a full scan would have scanned about 90,000+ files (about 239 GB used out of 900+GB) in about 40 to 50 minutes.

But in the new version it scans only about 60,000+ files (about 241 GB used) in about the same amount of time as before.  So I don't think that the scans do scan faster unless there is something I am doing wrong.  Since it doesn't make sense for it to take to same amount of time for 30,000 less files, when between the time from 2010 to 2011, I didn't install any new programs or anything.  I only updated my software like Firefox, Java, Flash, Windows Update, McAfee Update.

• 3. Re: Full Scan too quickly
              Peacekeeper

Mcafee makes whitelists of files scanning so if you repeat a scan on the same day (before next Dat updated) it skips some of the prescanned files.

I have tested 2011 versus 2010 and it scans faster due to it scanning in dual threads. Make sure you do not have use minimal resources selected and do not have a DVD in the drive that can cause issues with some game DVDs.

• 4. Re: Full Scan too quickly
                theflyingmonkey

Oh maybe that is why, I usually do a full scan of my computer every two weeks.  Also, it doesn't have the minimal resources selected or have a DVD in the drive.

But yeah, all I know is that before it was the same amount of time for 90,000 files.  Now it takes the same amount of time for 60,000 files.  Well, I guess it doesn't matter too much then, since I run Full Scan every 2 weeks, the dat is going to be updated.

• 5. Re: Full Scan too quickly
                  carlosvps

Peacekeeper:

https://community.mcafee.com/message/209234#209234

That said are you running the same scanned drives ie C or say all your drives before and just doing 1 now?

ANSWER:  I have checked.... I´m running all the drives selected. There were only one thing that didnt sounded right: the 'use minimal resources' was 'on'.... And I think it shouldnt be....

I unchecked it.... And I scanned again.... I noticed that it did take a little bit more than before (than when it was 'off')... But I didnt see exactly how many time it took.... I am going to check it again later... with this 'minimal resources' uncehcked again!

Did you just get an upgrade to 2011 version ie Virusscan 15 as it scans 100% faster than the old version?

ANSWER: I dont know the exactly version I have... but I can say that recently one of my updates asked me to reset my pc... And when I did it.... It appeared a 'new layout mcafee'....And yes: the problem I relate in this topic only appeared AFTER the 'new version'... (but I dont know the exact number of this version, see?)

You are doing the same type of scan ie Full not a quick or custom scan?

ANSWER: I only do the 'full scan'... always... but it seems that, when I tried, for the 1st time, the custom scan, thats when I realised the 'minimal resources' on! Could it be that there is a new configuration for the full scan, now with the 'minimal resources' on??? If that is the case.... I am starting to realise WHY all of those things happened!!! !

Well.... I´m going to do more tests.... And I´ll keep you all informed about it!

see you soon.

PS: Again: sorry... english is not my native language.....

• 6. Re: Full Scan too quickly
                    Peacekeeper

Use minimal resources is only in Custom and scheduled scan. Full has no such setting. Sorry

The version is 2011 has an about top Right of main screen . Selecting this show versions.

2010 has no such about there. You need to go to navigation and about and look at the versions.

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 10/11/11 2:58:19 PM
                    • 7. Re: Full Scan too quickly
                      carlosvps

My Mcafee appears as 2010, version 15.0.

I tried custom scan, with 'no minimal resources', and it seems it worked... I dont know... I still didnt check.

But it seemed to last a little longer.

What im trying to guess is: what would it be the settings of 'custom scan' that is similar to the full scan?

I guess it was with no 'minimal resources', but they (mcafee team)  put some kind of 'minimal resources' mechanism in the full scan in the last update, do you know waht I mean?

If thats true, perhaps thats why there is a shorter 'scan' now in the full scan.....

I dont know.... when it updated to the last version (15.0), a lot of changes happened... it was the 1st time I was asked to reset after the update! and it came back with a whole new layout!... god (and mcafee) knows what else they changed!!! Perhaps they have a new mechanism of scan... Stilll... im guessing! :/

I know I contacted the mcafee team, and they said I should use the stinger... I did it (although I didnt deactived the 'restatauration system')... And the result was: no problem!

I will wait for the new answer of their support... If theres still some problem, the only solution: 'format c:'!!!

• 8. Re: Full Scan too quickly
                        Peacekeeper

Yours seems to be 2011 ie Virusscan 15 is 2011 version. Is About at top right of security Centre?

Custom scan in 2011 fas the extra feature to exclude fiolkes and folders you know as safe and which can slow a scan down ie large AVI and zip files.

Is the fulll scan still doing it in 5-10 minutes?

• 9. Re: Full Scan too quickly
                          carlosvps

Actually.... Sth really strange happened... lol

After I read this, I received ANOTHER update from mcafee... Asking me to (one more time!) to reset my computer.... because there were updates... And I needed to restart... etc.

After I did this... I, by curiosity, did another full scan on my pc....

For some strange reason.... It took me 41 minutes!

So.... perhaps the temporary curse is vanished! lol Who can say?

I will keep you all informed, if some other sudden change happens!

PS: Im starting to realise that computer is a matter of some sort of  magic.... Isnt it?

1 2 Previous Next