5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 10, 2011 9:23 AM by swalters

    ePO 4.6 upgrade to 4.6.1 - Install fails

      Hello,

       

      today I decided to upgrade our ePO 4.6 to the recently released version 4.6.1,

      thought it would be straight forward however I encountered a problem, maybe someone here can point me in the right direction.

       

      Basically, the 4.6.1 installer starts but "unexpectedly" stops immediately with the installer indicating:

      "the wizard was interrupted before...."

       

      the error log file lists the following:

      Failed to connect to SQL Server [SERVER-SECURITY\EPOSERVER] with error code [0x80004005]

      Description for error code is [Cannot open database "ePO4_SERVER-SECURITY" requested by the login. The login failed.]

       

      For reference, the db.properties file has the following content:

      db.database.name=ePO4_SERVERepo

      db.instance.name=EPOSERVER

      db.server.name=SERVER-SECURITY

       

      I noticed that the installer is looking to upgrade the "ePO4_SERVER-SECURITY" database instance when in reality it should be upgrading "ePO4_SERVERepo" DB

       

      We only run 1 instance of epo SQL: ePO4_SERVERepo, not sure why it s looking for "ePO4_SERVER-SECURITY" (SERVER-SECURITY is the name of our server)

       

      How can I correct this issue?

       

      Thanks for your time!

        • 1. Re: ePO 4.6 upgrade to 4.6.1 - Install fails

          I had the same. I could not figure out where the installer got that but simply renaming the database name to what the installer wanted did the trick. Renamed it back afterwards though.

          • 2. Re: ePO 4.6 upgrade to 4.6.1 - Install fails

            thanks for this Herbie,

            much appreciated, I'll give it a go report back!

            • 3. Re: ePO 4.6 upgrade to 4.6.1 - Install fails
              andrep1

              I did the same last night and it failed, the install logs showed the proper db name being retrieved from db.properties but subsequently being changed by the setup. Consequently, I raised an SR with platinum and they advised me after a fair bit of looking around that they sneaked that "feature" in so that the db name used is reverted back to ePO4_<servername>. Based on that report, we've decided to revert back to that naming convention. The install went without a hitch for the patch and the security hotfix for apache.

               

              <Venting> this was sneaked in without anything in the release notes, with any error message properly advising us and with KBs still telling us how to change the db name </venting>

              • 4. Re: ePO 4.6 upgrade to 4.6.1 - Install fails

                Hi Andre,

                 

                Thanks for the information. unfortunately none of the above was able to fully restore my installation.

                 

                Renaming the server to accomodate the DB was out of the question. I finally uninstalled and reinstalled from scratch

                restoring my files and DB (after changing it's name), my agents are able to communicate and get updates from the server

                however I am unable to connect to the epo portal through any browser.

                 

                Any ideas why this would be? I simply get a "http 500 page cannot be found" after it quickly goes through the mcafee logo;

                from the server h**ps://localhost:8443 or from any other station.

                 

                I searched hi and low but no go, no info that I found helpful.

                 

                Thanks again for your feedback Gents, looking forward to hearing your ideas on this one

                 

                Cheers

                • 5. Re: ePO 4.6 upgrade to 4.6.1 - Install fails

                  Hello to all,

                  Just an update, since all potential solutions failed to get our epo system back up and running

                  as of this morning I uninstalled epo 4.6.1, reinstalled 4.6, restored my backups (As per KB66616) and got 4.6 to function correctly...

                  I then upgraded to 4.6.1 And all issues seem to be resolved for the time being and we're running 4.6.1

                  thanks again to all

                  cheers