5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 6, 2011 7:50 AM by Peter M

McAfee total protection is updating to an old version on McAfee internet security

i have had this problem before on my windows 7 desktop and now it have happend on my windows vista laptop and i am getting sick of it. i click update on my mcafee total protection it updates asks me to restart my computer i due so and when it restarts it is now running an out of date version mcafee internet security.

• 1. Re: McAfee total protection is updating to an old version on McAfee internet security
          Peter M

Can you clarify if this is Windows 7 SP1 please?  Also open SecurityCenter and post the version numbers of the various components from 'About'.   What exactly indicates that an older version has been installed?

Also have you used System Restore a lot?  Plus can you double-check your system clock for accuracy please, both time and timezone?  The original version, was it installed from your online account or a CD?

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 06/11/11 7:26:17 EST AM
          • 2. Re: McAfee total protection is updating to an old version on McAfee internet security

no have not never used my system restore on my windows 7 sp1  x64 desktop or on my windows vista sp1 x32

the version that was installed was mcafee seruritycenter

version 11.0

build 11.0623

affld 0

language en-gb

last update 06/11/2011

mcafee virus scan

version 15.0

build 15.0.291

last update 06/11/2011

dat version 6521

dat creation 05/11/2011

boot dat version 6516.0000

boot dat creation date 31/10/2011

engine version 5400.1158

mcafee personal firewall

version 12.0

build 12.0.344

last update 21/10/2011

mcafee site advisor

version3.4

build 3.4.1.143

affld 0

language en-gb

last update 24/08/2011

mcafee anti-spam

version 12.0

build 12.0.292

last update 06/08/2011

content version 4032

content update 06/11/2011 10:46:07

engine version 2.2.0.9286

mcafee parental controls

version 13.0

build 13.0.286

last update 06/08/2011

mcafee anti-threft file protection

version 2.0

build 2.0.403

last update 06/08/2011

mcafee online backup

version 3.0

build 3.0.128

mcafee quickclean and shredder

version 11.0

build 11.0.393

last update 06/08/2011

i have installed this vesion form the online account but the last like 5 version i got a cd to install it.

the system clock is set to the current date and time for GMT. and the time is correct

• 3. Re: McAfee total protection is updating to an old version on McAfee internet security
              Peter M

Those are what I have so they aren't out of date as you said.   If a retail CD is ever used then after the initial installation always install from your online account to get the latest version.

• 4. Re: McAfee total protection is updating to an old version on McAfee internet security

so what do i do about it changing for mcafee total protection to mcafee internet security?

• 5. Re: McAfee total protection is updating to an old version on McAfee internet security
                  Peter M

There must be a mixup with your account possibly showing two different products.  Contact Customer Service about that if you can't sort it out yourself.  Linked under Useful Links above - they are only open Monday to Friday and the best way of contacting them is by phone, followed by online chat.  Email is an option but I wouldn't use that as it takes forever to deal with a problem that way.

You can go to your account page and see if two products are listed and if they both have a download link then you could uninstall what you have now in the normal manner via Control Panel > Programs > Uninstall a Program, then go there and download the proper one.

Your account page should be HERE.   Make sure it says United Kingdom at the top for the country option.   If there are two products save the appropriate setup file to your desktop, then go through the uninstall routine.  For good measure you could also run the MCPR cleanup tool listed under Useful Links at the top of the page and reboot before installing the correct suite from that saved setup file.