Skip navigation
McAfee Secure sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
19954 Views 34 Replies Latest reply: Dec 2, 2011 10:20 AM by Ex_Brit RSS Go to original post 1 2 3 4 Previous Next
  • Peacekeeper Volunteer Moderator 21,332 posts since
    Nov 23, 2002
    Currently Being Moderated
    20. Dec 1, 2011 10:09 PM (in response to buddy4344)
    Re: Uninstall McAfee Security Center 2010

Yes you can download MCPR from

http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/MCPR.exe.

Also the atheros driver is old and needs updating. By running MCPR and rebooting you might then get on the net.

http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?lc=1033&id=TS100507

Tony
    Volunteer Moderator
    Mcafee Total Protection 7.0 beta, Windows 8 64bit
    No Unrequested PMs please
    Do you have an idea for improving McAfee products? Please share it in the new Ideas community space!  NOTE: You must register an account first.

• buddy4344 Newcomer 15 posts since
    Dec 1, 2011
    21. Dec 1, 2011 10:36 PM (in response to Peacekeeper)

It's just not my night.  I coped the mcpr.exe file to a thumbdrive, plugged it into the Dell i7 desktop and clicked "run as administrator".  after agreeing to terms, identifying some security letters, i got a message "error obtaining full permissions for cleanup.  See log files for details".  no info on log files.  I rebooted and tried everything again, and same result.

Dec 1, 2011
    22. Dec 1, 2011 10:45 PM (in response to buddy4344)

Tony, it's getting late.  I appreciate the help, but think a good nights rest will better adjust my attutude at this point.  I will try things again in the morning and report back any results to this forum.

• thecreator Veteran 1,125 posts since
    Nov 6, 2003
    23. Dec 2, 2011 12:58 AM (in response to Peacekeeper)

Peacekeeper wrote:

Yes you can download MCPR from

http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/MCPR.exe.

Also the atheros driver is old and needs updating. By running MCPR and rebooting you might then get on the net.

http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?lc=1033&id=TS100507

Hi Peacekeeper,

It sounds like McAfee left parts of the McAfee Firewall intact on his computer and causing no connection to the Internet. In Windows 7 Safe Mode, one does not have access to the Internet. In Normal Mode with McAfee installed in Windows 7, the McAfee Core NDIS Intermediate Filter, is not listed, like it is listed in Windows XP's Wireless Network Connection Properties. D-Link Wireless Adapter.

On my Wired Computer in Windows XP and a Nvidia Ethernet Port, that filter is not listed as being installed in the Properties of the Local Area Connection.

Was McAfee 2010 written for Windows 7?

=== thecreator - One of the people, that has a very good memory.

See the McAfee Builds I am running at: https://community.mcafee.com/groups/mcafee-total-protection-beta/blog

TheCreator's Installations

Don't forget to Vote: https://community.mcafee.com/ideas/1341
    Like to See a Way to Limit CPU Usage for Real-Time Scanning
  • Ex_Brit Volunteer Moderator 59,500 posts since
    May 6, 2004
    24. Dec 2, 2011 5:37 AM (in response to buddy4344)

Try disabling those extra wireless miniports then and see if that helps stop the crashing as Windows can usually only handle one connection at a time without problems.  The only network connector you need is the wired one assuming that's all you use.

Otherwise there is an extremely long and laborious method for removing the software via registry editing which I can post if you want.

Or there's always Technical Support, it's free, via Useful Links at the top of this page.

In answer to the Windows 7 question, yes it was compatible.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 02/12/11 6:37:32 EST AM

https://community.mcafee.com/servlet/JiveServlet/downloadImage/2-143933-5189/78-49/Peter.gif
    Toronto • Canada
    Volunteer Moderator
    I can't help you privately - please post in the Forums
    Use Advanced Forum Search To Find Answers
    Beta Test McAfee Products For PC & MAC
    How To Fix File Associations in Windows
    XP & Office 2003 End-Of-Life - 08 April, 2014
    Anti-Spyware/Malware & Hijacker Tools
    May 6, 2004
    25. Dec 2, 2011 5:52 AM (in response to Ex_Brit)

Here are the registry removal method instructions.    Di it while signed in as an Administrator-level user.

This takes ages to do so don't expect it to be do-able in a few minutes.

Enable Windows Firewall while you are unprotected by  McAfee.

Go to Start/Run and enter regedit  and click OK.

A  page should open with the top left hand corner looking like this:

https://community.mcafee.com/servlet/JiveServlet/downloadImage/2-145517-8112/285-187/Regedit.jpg

If for some reason it's expanded, collapse it and then highlight My Computer   (Computer in Vista/Windows 7).

Go  to File tab and click "Export" and send all of the  registry to your  desktop. This is in case something goes wrong. It can then be rebuilt  by simply right-clicking that desktop item and selecting Merge.

Now click the Edit tab and then "Find". Enter "McAfee" (minus the "") then click   "Find next" (or hit the enter key).

Whatever is found, right-click and delete.

Hit  your F3 key for the next instance and keep going until all entries are gone.

If one says it can't be deleted this is where it gets complicated. You have to then find which key on the left column pertains to it and    right-click/Properties/Permissions and give yourself permission.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 02/12/11 6:52:11 EST AM

https://community.mcafee.com/servlet/JiveServlet/downloadImage/2-143933-5189/78-49/Peter.gif
    Toronto • Canada
    Volunteer Moderator
    Dec 1, 2011
    26. Dec 2, 2011 7:27 AM (in response to Ex_Brit)

Whoa!  I went to network adaptor and disabled Windows miniPorts: IKEv2, IPv6, L2TP, PPPOE, PPTP and SSTP.  Reboot, no luck except "Safe Mode".  I then went to the network adaptor and disabled the DW1525 (802.11n) WLAN PCIe Card and rebooted.  On reboot, the computer started in normal windows mode - not one of the safe modes.  I have internet access.  I'm typing this on the i7. 

Should I re-enable those miniPorts except the DW1525?

Should I still run the MCPR.EXE?

Should I update any drivers at the Dell web site?  I have my Service Tag number and am still under warranty.

or should I just proceed with loading on the Norton 360 All-in-one Security software I originally planned?

I'm nervously happy, but not sure I can relax yet!

May 6, 2004
    27. Dec 2, 2011 9:31 AM (in response to buddy4344)

buddy4344 wrote:

Whoa!  I went to network adaptor and disabled Windows miniPorts: IKEv2, IPv6, L2TP, PPPOE, PPTP and SSTP.  Reboot, no luck except "Safe Mode".  I then went to the network adaptor and disabled the DW1525 (802.11n) WLAN PCIe Card and rebooted.  On reboot, the computer started in normal windows mode - not one of the safe modes.  I have internet access.  I'm typing this on the i7. 

Should I re-enable those miniPorts except the DW1525?

Should I still run the MCPR.EXE?

Should I update any drivers at the Dell web site?  I have my Service Tag number and am still under warranty.

or should I just proceed with loading on the Norton 360 All-in-one Security software I originally planned?

I'm nervously happy, but not sure I can relax yet!

That's great news buddy4344,

Yes run MCPR to make sure remnants aren't lingering behind.   Once downloaded to your desktop it can also be run in Safe Mode if need be.

It all depends on what those miniports are used for I guess.  Do you have any idea?   If not the best people to ask would be the support people or forums for that particular make and model of machine.

All I know is on my machine for example the virtual machine I use for my grid computing apps always tries to setup another network when it gets updated and I always have to disable that extra network because my machine gets confused on how to connect to the Internet otherwise.

So best try to find out what is creating/using those miniports, if anything.  If nothing then leave them disabled.    You'll find out soon enough if an application or piece of hardware starts complaining.

Edit:  If you are using a wireless-n router but only in the wired state, than you don't need the wireless network setup at all, but you should ensure that it is broadcasting in an encrypted state, otherwise anyone in your immediate vicinity/neighbourhood could be taking advantage of it and stealing your bandwidth let alone putting your system in danger possibly.  Or simply turn off the wireless side of it.

You access its settings by browsing to it's IP number using Internet Explorer.

The only time you would possibly need that is if you have any equipment that needs a wireless connection.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 02/12/11 10:31:22 EST AM

Toronto • Canada
    Volunteer Moderator
    Dec 1, 2011
    28. Dec 2, 2011 7:50 AM (in response to Ex_Brit)

Thanks Peter.  The Forum was of high value to me.  My stress level dropped several notches, but once burned ....

The Dell on-line support chat opens at 9 a.m. Central Time.  I will try to connect there and see if they have advice.

Of course I am running unprotected at the moment.  Do you advise that  I go ahead and load on the Norton 360?

May 6, 2004
    29. Dec 2, 2011 8:43 AM (in response to buddy4344)

That's up to you but I would find out what is creating those WAN miniports that are confusing your system.  It certainly isn't/wasn't McAfee.   If that's the route you want to go, good luck.

In my experience Norton is worse at removing itself, should the case arise, than McAfee.  But they also have a removal tool.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 02/12/11 9:43:03 EST AM

Toronto • Canada
    Volunteer Moderator

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Legend