Skip navigation
McAfee Secure sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
19976 Views 34 Replies Latest reply: Dec 2, 2011 10:20 AM by Ex_Brit RSS 1 2 3 4 Previous Next
barbarahamper Newcomer 2 posts since
Nov 6, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Nov 6, 2011 7:15 PM

Uninstall McAfee Security Center 2010

We have now spent our entire Sunday on this issue. All we want to do is uninstall McAfee 2010 (the entire thing) on our Dell. When we used their uninstall tool it crashed the pc: Blue screen of death. Finally got it working in Safe Mode and restored it to a previous date. Of course McAfee is still there. We've spent the entire day on Tech Support - much of which was useless as most of these guys didn't understand simple, basic English. After several hours of our system crashing and recrashing enve during their remote access we are still in the same boat. Anyone have a clue how to uninstall this piece of software? Running on a Dell with Windows 7 64 bit.

• Ex_Brit Volunteer Moderator 59,556 posts since
    May 6, 2004
    1. Nov 7, 2011 5:31 AM (in response to barbarahamper)
    Re: Uninstall McAfee Security Center 2010

The normal way is to uninstall via Control Panel > Programs > Uninstall a Program, then if necessary run the MCPR removal tool which should always be freshly downloaded as it is updated over time, followed by an immediate reboot.

If that doesn't work then it would appear that the installation has become corrupted somehow.  If System Restore is used you should update the product first before trying anything at all as it will be stale-dated and bound to malfunction.  Also some registry cleaners and optimizers have been known to cause this effect as can many infections.

One thing to try would be to go to your online account and try to install a fresh copy of the software, it would detect the old one and endeavour to remove it leaving you with a hopefully workable copy of the software.  Let it complete and then uninstall in the normal manner, followed by the MCPR removal tool.  (Linked under Useful Links at the top of this page).  You could try a trial version of any of the suites if there is nothing on the account.   You are going to be uninstalling it anyway so it doesn't matter, all we are trying to do is get a repaired installation that can be uninstalled.

You could have asked support to escalate the issue.   I'll flag this for support people anyway.

There is a very long manual registry method of uninstallation but quite honestly it is an extremely long and laborious way of doing it so I would rather you didn't have to go there.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 07/11/11 6:31:26 EST AM

https://community.mcafee.com/servlet/JiveServlet/downloadImage/2-143933-5189/78-49/Peter.gif
    Toronto • Canada
    Volunteer Moderator
    I can't help you privately - please post in the Forums
    Use Advanced Forum Search To Find Answers
    Beta Test McAfee Products For PC & MAC
    How To Fix File Associations in Windows
    XP & Office 2003 End-Of-Life - 08 April, 2014
    Anti-Spyware/Malware & Hijacker Tools
  • Peacekeeper Volunteer Moderator 21,347 posts since
    Nov 23, 2002
    2. Nov 7, 2011 2:48 AM (in response to barbarahamper)

The reinstall over the top should work.

Other ways would be run MVT the virtual technician it might fix the problem

http://service.mcafee.com/MVT.aspx?MVT=1&&lc=1033&sg=TS&pt=1

Another thought is have you an Atheros network/wireless network driver?

Tony
    Volunteer Moderator
    Mcafee Total Protection 7.0 beta, Windows 8 64bit
    No Unrequested PMs please
    Do you have an idea for improving McAfee products? Please share it in the new Ideas community space!  NOTE: You must register an account first.

• JaiPrakash Champion 457 posts since
    Nov 5, 2009
    3. Nov 8, 2011 11:02 AM (in response to barbarahamper)

Hi barbarahamper,

Sorry for the bitter experience that you had here , which is unexpected . Please let us know if you still have issues in uninstalling McAfee off the PC so that we may facilitate a follow up from our best technician and have the issue resolved

Regards,

Thanks,
    Jai Prakash
  • thecreator Veteran 1,132 posts since
    Nov 6, 2003
    4. Nov 25, 2011 6:50 PM (in response to barbarahamper)

barbarahamper wrote:

We have now spent our entire Sunday on this issue. All we want to do is uninstall McAfee 2010 (the entire thing) on our Dell. When we used their uninstall tool it crashed the pc: Blue screen of death. Finally got it working in Safe Mode and restored it to a previous date. Of course McAfee is still there. We've spent the entire day on Tech Support - much of which was useless as most of these guys didn't understand simple, basic English. After several hours of our system crashing and recrashing enve during their remote access we are still in the same boat. Anyone have a clue how to uninstall this piece of software? Running on a Dell with Windows 7 64 bit.

Hi barbarahamper,

You are correct. However, I had the Dell version of McAfee Security Center 2011 installed on my Dell Laptop with Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit .

Not certain if you had the same software as me or not.

I believe I received a Blue Screen of Death on my laptop from the Clean Tool.

I fixed my problem, the following way:

Uninstall Dell-McAfee from the Laptop through Programs and Features, Rebooted.

Did not use the Clean Tool.

Downloaded and installed TuneUp Utilities 2011. I previously purchased it. I ran it and fixed a bunch of problems. Rebooted.

Installed Service Pack 1 before installing Internet Explorer 9.0 - Rebooted.

Downloaded McAfee Total Protection 5.0 (2011) Beta and installed. Rebooted.

Installed Internet Explorer 9.0 and rebooted.

Ran TuneUp Utilities 2011 and it runs also in the background.

I have McAfee VirusScan disabled, not to run. I do have Scheduled Scans on and it runs once a week.

My laptop is working just fine with McAfee installed.

=== thecreator - One of the people, that has a very good memory.

See the McAfee Builds I am running at: https://community.mcafee.com/groups/mcafee-total-protection-beta/blog

TheCreator's Installations

Don't forget to Vote: https://community.mcafee.com/ideas/1341
    Like to See a Way to Limit CPU Usage for Real-Time Scanning
  • Ex_Brit Volunteer Moderator 59,556 posts since
    May 6, 2004
    5. Nov 25, 2011 7:59 PM (in response to thecreator)

The uninstaller shouldn't crash a machine that has files and folders intact.  Have you been running registry cleaners?   These are notorious for removing important files need by various processes, McAfee included.

Even if it can't remove everything it will indicate so and finish with a failure notice.

If you use System Restore then always update immediately anything time-sensitive, that includes Windows as well as McAfee software.

SecurityCenter 2010 by now should have updated to 2011 in any case and you could always try reinstalling the software (a trial version will do) and then using Control Panel method to uninstall in the normal manner.

You should always try that first.  Then run the MCPR tool if you must and make sure it is always freshly downloaded as it changes frequently.

When it's running stop any other resource hogging applications to give it free rein.

Reboot immediately afterwards.

Removal by any other means is a long and laborious job sifting through registry keys.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 25/11/11 8:59:42 EST PM

https://community.mcafee.com/servlet/JiveServlet/downloadImage/2-143933-5189/78-49/Peter.gif
    Toronto • Canada
    Volunteer Moderator
    I can't help you privately - please post in the Forums
    Use Advanced Forum Search To Find Answers
    Beta Test McAfee Products For PC & MAC
    How To Fix File Associations in Windows
    XP & Office 2003 End-Of-Life - 08 April, 2014
    Anti-Spyware/Malware & Hijacker Tools
    Nov 6, 2003
    6. Nov 25, 2011 8:19 PM (in response to Ex_Brit)

Hi Ex_Brit,

Barbara just posted once and never came back.

MCPR that I used caused the laptop to crashed. It was the downloaded one from the site, not a previously downloaded one.

Anyone, I am fixed and waiting for the next version of the product.

See the McAfee Builds I am running at: https://community.mcafee.com/groups/mcafee-total-protection-beta/blog

Nov 23, 2002
    7. Nov 25, 2011 8:45 PM (in response to thecreator)

You using MCPR normal or the beta version. The later is for beta Mcafee installs. I used it on 2012 alpha and it uninstalled fine yesterday.

Tony
    Volunteer Moderator
    Do you have an idea for improving McAfee products? Please share it in the new Ideas community space!  NOTE: You must register an account first.

Nov 6, 2003
    8. Nov 26, 2011 9:53 AM (in response to Peacekeeper)

Peacekeeper wrote:

You using MCPR normal or the beta version. The later is for beta Mcafee installs. I used it on 2012 alpha and it uninstalled fine yesterday.

Hi Peacekeeper,

I downloaded and used the MCPR specific or close to specific as possible to the Dell Branded McAfee Internet Security version, not the Beta version.

Nov 23, 2002
    9. Nov 26, 2011 3:03 PM (in response to thecreator)

OK forgot about that laptop of yours. Yes MCPR can sometimes as MVT does act up.

Tony
    Volunteer Moderator

1 2 3 4 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Legend

• Correct Answers - 5 points
  • Helpful Answers - 3 points