3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 5, 2011 11:48 AM by Peter M

Conflict with McAfee???

I recently purchased a new laptop and called my cable company ,(Shaw Cable), to install internet and they said I  have to uninstall the McAfee antivirus that came pre-installed before they could set up my internet connection.  Does this make any sense?  Do I have to follow their instructions?  If so, why?

Thanks     B.

• 1. Re: Conflict with McAfee???
          Peter M

It does seem a little odd because the network part of the software simply reflects whatever your Windows network settings are.   However, if they insist I would go along with it.  You can always reinstall afterwards from your online account.

Uninstall in the normal manner via Control Panel > Programs > Uninstall a Program (Add or Remove a Program in XP).  By doing that any subscription information online is updated accordingly so you'll be able to reinstall later on.

If needs be you can also run the cleanup tool, MCPR, linked under Useful Links at the top of this page.  A reboot is necessary after running that.

I suspect that they are going to load their own proprietary software on the machine and maybe McAfee VirusScan might block it.   Personally I find that stuff is usually pure bloatware and uninstall it all afterwards.

• 2. Re: Conflict with McAfee???

Thanks Peter,  I tend to agree with you that it appears to be a pile of nonsense however, I will go along to get my internet service working and try to reinstall at a later time.   I just needed to get another opinion.       B.

• 3. Re: Conflict with McAfee???
              Peter M

OK, good luck.  ;-)