9 Replies Latest reply on Nov 4, 2011 12:07 PM by Peter M

Doubleclick cookie virus?

I have recently suffered a virus which my home McAfee Antivirus found during a full scan, named Doubleclick cookie. Its a virus not a cookie, that said, the problem is the scan fixes it but then a few hours later im having problems with my mouse pointer again and sure enough the new scan finds this virus again. What can I do please someone help me. I believe my system is venerable to this virus since it is able to be *fixed by McAfee antivirus yet reappears a short time later with the same symptoms.... Mouse click fails to click on target or clicks too many times and still fails to open/close target. I've tried reinstalling my mouse, I've tried removing it from the port in behind the tower and re connecting it. I've had AT&T Technical support aid me with remote support and cleaned all viruses from my machine yesterday. the tracking cookies and the virus itself keep returning. Is this a venerability related problem and if not please steer me to the correct place to get help. Thank you.

• 1. Re: Doubleclick cookie virus?

Moving this discussion into the VirusScan community.

• 2. Re: Doubleclick cookie virus?
            Peter M

noobsrcool wrote:

I have recently suffered a virus which my home McAfee Antivirus found during a full scan, named Doubleclick cookie. Its a virus not a cookie, that said, the problem is the scan fixes it but then a few hours later im having problems with my mouse pointer again and sure enough the new scan finds this virus again. What can I do please someone help me. I believe my system is venerable to this virus since it is able to be *fixed by McAfee antivirus yet reappears a short time later with the same symptoms.... Mouse click fails to click on target or clicks too many times and still fails to open/close target. I've tried reinstalling my mouse, I've tried removing it from the port in behind the tower and re connecting it. I've had AT&T Technical support aid me with remote support and cleaned all viruses from my machine yesterday. the tracking cookies and the virus itself keep returning. Is this a venerability related problem and if not please steer me to the correct place to get help. Thank you.

Moved to Malware Discussions > Home User Assistance.

Try temporarily disabling System Restore then boot to Safe Mode by tapping F8 repeatedly while booting up.  Go to Computer (My Computer in XP) and right-click the hard drive and select 'Scan".  You wont see anything except an animated taskbar icon.  Let the scan run its course.

The Doubleclick Cookie item has been in McAfee's database since 2005 so that should rid you of it.   If it reappears after this check anything that is attached to your computer.

• 3. Re: Doubleclick cookie virus?

Thank you so very much Ex_Brit, ive run the scan twice now and so far not a single cookie monster rears its ugly virus head! Bless your sweet pixel heart. ~hugs~

Message was edited by: noobsrcool on 11/3/11 9:44:11 PM CDT
              • 4. Re: Doubleclick cookie virus?
                Peter M

That's great...  and all the best ;-)

Re-enable System restore if you think all is well.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 04/11/11 5:07:01 EDT AM
                1 of 1 people found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Doubleclick cookie virus?

I enabled System Restore and full scan today still says clean! Are there browser aids to keep tracking cookies from infecting my browsers and thus my computer again? I have both Mozilla Firefox, and Google Chrome in use here at home. Thank you Ex_Bit  =]

• 6. Re: Doubleclick cookie virus?
                    Peter M

SiteAdvisor, either part of your package from wherever you get McAfee or downloaded separately here: http://www.siteadvisor.com is a browser add-on that warns of bad websites and bad downloads.

An up to date browser should also have built-in safeguards.

VirusScan also montiors of course.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 04/11/11 12:09:10 EDT PM
                    • 7. Re: Doubleclick cookie virus?
                      Peter M

Also there are some tools here:  Anti-Spyware, Malware & Hijacker Tools

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 04/11/11 12:11:38 EDT PM
                      • 8. Re: Doubleclick cookie virus?

Awesome, i have saved all those links and have installed some of the tools already. Thank You for all that help.. im so glad I came to the Forums for advice!  : ] Im happy to report that Stinger nor SuperAntiSpyware have found anything at all Great help here Ex_Brit

• 9. Re: Doubleclick cookie virus?
                          Peter M

You are welcome.