5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 29, 2011 7:47 AM by ndlunchbox

How to create NTFS vaults with allocation unit size more than 2048 bytes

When ever I try to format a mcafee vault into NTFS with allocation unit size more than 2048 bytes I get the following error:

Windows was unable to complete the format.

mcafee anti-theft error format problem.png

Any idea what could be going wrong?

Message was edited by: ss-rasputin on 2/11/11 4:28:20 PM IST
        • 1. Re: How to create NTFS vaults with allocation unit size more than 2048 bytes
          Dinz

Hi there,

Can you please provide us with more information about the PC;

What operating system ? Vista/Win 7

Version of Antitheft ? - Open McAfee security center - click on About (Top right corner)

Regards,

• 2. Re: How to create NTFS vaults with allocation unit size more than 2048 bytes

Hi Dinz, thanks for replying.. Here is the information you asked for..

Windows 7 Home Premium (32-bit)

-- 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601

McAfee Anti-Theft File Protection

-- Version 2.0

-- Build 2.0.403

• 3. Re: How to create NTFS vaults with allocation unit size more than 2048 bytes
              JaiPrakash

Hi Rasputin,

Thanks for the info, so you have the products installed on the PC , Can you probably elaborate how exactly are you trying to format the Vault that would help us drill down the error,

Cheers

• 4. Re: How to create NTFS vaults with allocation unit size more than 2048 bytes

I am using the default format utility which comes with windows.

This one fails:

format z: /fs:ntfs /v:vault /q /a:4096

While this one does not:

format z: /fs:ntfs /v:vault /q /a:2048

That is, when choosing NTFS as the file system with allocation unit size less than 4096 bytes, format succeeds.

However with allocation unit size set to 4096 bytes (or for that matter any value higher than 4096) format fails.

I tried this with 50mb, 4gb & 10gb vaults and had the same results.

Also, is there some way to create NTFS vaults by default. Will I have to re-install anti-theft for this? Why is this not available as an option in anti-theft?

• 5. Re: How to create NTFS vaults with allocation unit size more than 2048 bytes

I'm having the same issue - both long and quick formats fail when using the defualt 4k sector size for NTFS.  I cannot see the virtual drive in the disk management mmc either, which may have something to do with it.  I have it at 2048 now, but obviously I'd prefer the MS recommended 4096 cluster size for the best mix of performance and efficency.

I'm running Win7 Pro x64.

Quite frankly, it's shocking to me McAfee chose to leave this FAT32.  That is a big security flaw.  For instance, my wife uses my computer and won't put a pw on her account - so if I walk away from my computer and someone accesses it physically or remotely vault is mounted with no ACLs to stop an unauthorized person from viewing.

I'm a McAfee fan, I chose them to replace CA's product on over a 500 servers and desktops (ePO is awesome) and one of the things I like is that thier home products are mostly the same things they have for the Enterprise endpoint - but I have to say this encryption product is not where it needs to be, I understand keeping it simple but you don't have enough options for the power user.

Here are some recommendations:

1) Trick Windows into thinking this is a thumb drive, support NTFS and exFAT as well as normal file operations.

2) Give us the option not to set recovery questions.  I did not see this on install.

3) Better tecnical specs / documentation.  For instance, I cannot find out if this product support the x86 AES instruction set.