1 2 3 4 Previous Next 30 Replies Latest reply on Jul 21, 2009 12:29 PM by Grif

VSE 8.5i HotFix 427887 addresses two Mcshield processes with Patch 6

twenden
      FYI,

McAfee has an updated knowledgebase article 616344 for a hotfix that fixes the problem with Patch 6 and two Mcshield processes. It seems to say that you must install this hotfix before installing Patch 7 and any other future patches.

https://knowledge.mcafee.com/article/72/616344_f.SAL_Public.html

High CPU usage after installing VirusScan Enterprise 8.5i Patch 6 (issue: two McShield processes running)

Environment

McAfee VirusScan Enterprise 8.5i Patch 6
      Microsoft Windows (all supported versions, see 613414)

Problem

50 percent CPU usage reported on computers that have upgraded to VirusScan Enterprise 8.5i Patch 6.
      The Windows Task Manager shows two McShield processes running.

Change or Cause

This is an emerging issue with McAfee VirusScan Enterprise 8.5i Patch 6. This KnowledgeBase article will be updated when additional information is available.

Solution

This issue can be addressed with HotFix 427887. This hot fix has been attached to this article as VSE85HF427887.zip.

NOTE: This fix must be implemented before installing Patch 7 to avoid seeing the same issue under Patch 7 or later.

Below are the hotfix release notes:

HotFix Release Notes

HotFix Version:
      HF427887

Product:
      VirusScan Enterprise 8.5i

Timestamp:
      26 September 2008

Files affected:
      MCSHIELD.EXE 13.3.2.133

Issue:
      When installing a VirusScan Enterprise 8.5i patch, the existing On-Access Scanner service
      may fail to unload. This leads to two instances, of the service, with one taking up a high amount of CPU usage.

Resolution:
      The On-Access Scanner service had been updated to avoid a runaway thread scenario that caused
      the service, being replaced, to not stop.

Notes:
      1. This HotFix is designed to prevent future patches from exhibiting this behavior. This HotFix will not correct systems that already exhibit the behavior.
      2. An administrator can install this release by executing VSE85HF427887.EXE locally on an individual system, or by adding the package to the ePolicy Orchestrator or ProtectionPilot repository for deployment via an agent update.
        1 2 3 4 Previous Next