1 2 3 Previous Next 29 Replies Latest reply on Jul 17, 2009 7:55 AM by BinaryWiz

fw.sys BSOD - VSE 8.7

Hello and pardon for my bad English, but this text has been automatically translated.
      I have the new version 8.7 on a test system (XP SP3) installed. It is still a Checkpoint VPN client (NGX R60 HFA-02 Supplement2) installed. If the client is started, it's a BSOD, with the message fw.sys XXXXXXXXXX. I have several tools both reinstalled, the result is always the same. Only when I McAfee services and files quit, I can VPN Client -> But that is probably not in the spirit of the inventor.

Has anyone e similar problems?
        • 1. RE: fw.sys BSOD - VSE 8.7
          psolinski
          The same here - on BSOD machine with Checkpoint VPN Client installed.:(

VS 8.7.0 and Check Point VPN-1 SecureClient problem
          Check Point VPN-1 SecureClient version - SC_NGX_R60_HFA2_Supplement2_630001052
          When starting Check Point VPN-1 SecureClient BSD occurs:
          The Check Point VPN-1 Securemote service service was successfully sent a start control.
          The Check Point VPN-1 Securemote service service entered the running state.
          The Check Point VPN-1 Securemote watchdog service was successfully sent a start control.
          The Check Point VPN-1 Securemote watchdog service entered the running state.
          The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x1000008e (0xc0000005, 0x80647d44, 0xb8b7d4e8, 0x00000000). A dump was saved in: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini093008-02.dmp.
          • 2. RE: fw.sys BSOD - VSE 8.7
            My installation log says:

Aktion gestartet 14:00:55: RollbackStopCheckpoint.
            Aktion beendet 14:00:55: RollbackStopCheckpoint. Rückgabewert 1.
            Aktion gestartet 14:00:55: StopCheckPointSC.
            Aktion beendet 14:00:55: StopCheckPointSC. Rückgabewert 1.
            Aktion gestartet 14:00:55: UninstallCheckPoint.
            Aktion beendet 14:00:55: UninstallCheckPoint. Rückgabewert 1.

and later

Aktionsstart 14:01:16: RollbackInstallCheckPoint.
            Aktion endet 14:01:16: RollbackInstallCheckPoint. Rückgabewert 1.
            Aktionsstart 14:01:16: InstallCheckPoint.
            Aktion endet 14:01:16: InstallCheckPoint. Rückgabewert 1.
            Aktionsstart 14:01:16: StartCheckPointSC.
            Aktion endet 14:01:16: StartCheckPointSC. Rückgabewert 1.

It uninstalls and reinstalls the Secure Client? Umm... nice...

I don't get a blue screen, but at the very end of the installation most of the VSE files are deleted.
            • 3. RE: fw.sys BSOD - VSE 8.7
              Hi,

I got a bluescreen on two notebooks, both have installed the checkpoint VPN-1 Secure Client NGX R60 HFA1. After a reboot the installation finished succeasfully
              • 4. Blus screen
                Hi,

I have the same problem om all my SecureClient Laptops. Problem came when updating to 8.5i to 8.7i. Downgrading does NOT solve the problem. I still get Blue Screen

nsgene
                • 5. RE: Blus screen
                  McAfee know's about the problem, there is a knowledgebase document:

https://knowledge.mcafee.com/SupportSite/search.do?cmd=displayKCPopup&docType=kc &docId=KC.616885&externalID=616885&sliceID=SAL_Public

Patch 1 should solve the problem
                  • 6. RE: Blus screen
                    This way help's me to get the computer back running:

1. Use the Check Point Clean Utility to remove the VPN Cleint
                    2. reboot
                    3. Uninstall Virus Scan 8.7. If this is not possible, reinstall 8.7 manual, restart, and try to uninstall again
                    4. restart (if not, 8.5 will not work)
                    5. install 8.5
                    6. restart
                    7. install Check Point VPN Client
                    • 7. Thanks
                      Hi,

Downgrading VSE to 8.5i also solved my problem. However you have to completely remove both VSE and SecureClient before installing VSE 8.5i and SecureClient again.
                      • 8. RE: Thanks
                        After 2 weeks of pressuring McAfee's support they finally admitted a bug !!! :mad:

Hi John,

Please follow these directions to install the patched driver for Checkpoint VPN issue.

Instructions:

Extract the contents of VPN-Issue.zip to “C:\Program Files\McAfee\VirusScan”

Run copydriver.bat (If you are using vista –right click copydriver.bat and select “Run-As Administrator”

Reboot the computer.

Try this link

http://community.mcafee.com/showthread.php?t=224206 :confused: and :mad:
                        • 9. RE: Thanks
                          Dendrite123,

The 'fix' you've linked to is designed for the RETAIL version of VirusScan and at this point, although I've raised questions of the powers that be, there is no confirmation the same file will fix the corporate versions.. (If you read the post you've copied, you'll note the corporate version file path is different from the one listed in your post. That particular file path is for the retail versions.)

At this point, unless you've done some really extensive testing as to the files reliability in corporate versions, I'm waiting for final words from McAfee on the subject.

Hope this helps.

Grif
                          1 2 3 Previous Next