6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 24, 2015 5:17 PM by mr.townsend83

VirusScan Enterprise & Juniper SSL VPN "host checker"

mattw2

We are experiencing an issue between certain versions of VirusScan Enterprise and the Host Checker function on our Juniper SA4500 SSL VPN system.

We have the "Host Checker" function configured to check a few settings before it will grant VPN access, one of those being presence of VirusScan Enterprise and it being less than 10 DAT versions out of date.

For the vast majority of our users, this isn't a problem, as they're on VirusScan Enterprise 8.5, and it all seems to work properly with that version. However, I am very conscious of the impending end-of-support date for 8.5, which is 31 Dec 2011.

The problem we have is that, for no obvious reason, PCs running VirusScan Enterprise 8.7 or 8.8  will fail the hostchecker "AV Check" and refuse access. This despite the definitions being fully up to date. On some occasions it will work after a couple of retries, but it is somewhat random, and whilst some people regularly have issues, others never have problems.

I've already logged this issue directly with McAfee but they were unable to help, whilst a colleague logged a call with the company who helps support the Juniper VPN appliance, but again, apart from suggesting tests using the "Am I Oesis OK" utility from opswat, weren't helpful either.  Running the tool suggested the PC was OK, but when later attempting to connect to the VPN, it would still fail host checker test.

Some of the people who were helping test virusscan 8.7 and 8.8 have now been downgraded due to the problems.

Has anyone else had similar issues ? Any suggestions on how to go forward, especially as we've basically got 2 months to upgrade around 3000 PCs to 8.7 or 8.8.

thanks in advance

Matt.