6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 14, 2012 6:12 AM by dougf

usage of cpu 100% by McShield

do you have someone experiences with usage of cpu 100% by McShield where VSE is 8.7.0 and Agent 4.5.0?

thank you very much for hints..

e-man

• 1. Re: usage of cpu 100% by McShield
          Hayton

Moved to VirusScan Enterprise for attention.

• 2. Re: usage of cpu 100% by McShield

First, some questions.

What patch version of VSE 8.7?
            What patch version of Agent 4.5?

Is this during an ODS?  Lower the thread priority, mem/process scans will probably always peg at 100% for the short time they are running.

Is this during a dat update?  Upgrade to patch 3 of agent 4.5

Is this during an OAS?

Are there intense I/O operations occuring?  Exclude the process responsible for the I/O operations.

• 3. Re: usage of cpu 100% by McShield

Hi,

At this time I am not able to say if there are patche any patches because of disconnection but later I will let u know.

Is there need to have some patches? If yes, will be u so kind and will u say what which patch fixes?

It can be very useful for us..

Thank u very much in advance..

e-man

• 4. Re: usage of cpu 100% by McShield

I am McAfee admin at a hospital and I've seen this several times.  I'm working with one PC now that is VSE 8.8 with Patch 1,  (8.8.0.849) Agent 4.6.0.1694, DAT 6537.0000 and SAE 3.0.0.561.

If given enough time after starting, the mcshield.exe dropped below 90% CPU utilization.

I ran a couple malware detecting agents and a full scan with the VSE and found nothing.

Even after the time lapse, opening almost any application caused a several minute lapse in ability to use the computer.  Typing that last sentence would stop after the first word for 30 seconds or so, then give a word, then same pause and so forth for approx 2 minutes before the sentence was complete.  That wasn't a usable PC.

I removed the VSE and the PC ran well.  Put it back and had the same results.

OS is XP with SP3 and up to date patches.

I'd appreciate any advice.

Sabot6

• 5. Re: usage of cpu 100% by McShield

This is probably going to be an exclusion related performance issue.

Here are a couple of blind troubleshooting steps though:

Disable processes on enable.

Disable scanning inside zipped files.

More than likely it's just going to be a matter of determining what needs to be excluded and creating an exclusion.  I would recommend logging a call with Support.

• 6. Re: usage of cpu 100% by McShield

I use XP Pro and solved the problem of mschield excessive cpu usage is by changing the system properties, Performance Options as follows:

Adjust for best performance of

Processor scheduling : programs

Memory usage: System Cache