1 2 Previous Next 12 Replies Latest reply on Sep 24, 2008 3:14 PM by dan.crouthamel

UdaterUI.exe continous I/O reads

At work we have McAfee VirusScan Enterprise 8.5.0i installed. I noticed that a process on my machine called UdaterUI.exe continuously performs I/O reads. Is this OK? What exactly is this process doing?
        • 1. RE: UdaterUI.exe continous I/O reads
          tonyb99
          This is the user interface for the mcafee management agent
          What its doing depends on whether you run the agent in managed mode with EPO or PP or just run VSE which installs its own version in unmanaged mode.
          You may have a blue shield tray icon held inside the red M systray icon, this is the gui interface, asfar as I am aware this is also responsible for the diaolgues you get when running autoupdate or manual update in VSE.

Are you using an agent? if so what patch level
          What patch version of VSE 8.5 are you running?
          • 2. RE: UdaterUI.exe continous I/O reads
            I have the Blue Shield tray icon. Sometimes I do notice a red outline or border to it.

This morning the UdaterUI.exe is still continuously doing I/O reads. It's now at about 7 million since last rebooting.

Below is the information I was able to find about what version of McAfee is installed on my machine.

• 3. RE: UdaterUI.exe continous I/O reads
              tonyb99
              I cant see that picture

if you right click on the VSE systray icon and choose about what version of VSE and what patch level are you running?
              • 4. RE: UdaterUI.exe continous I/O reads

It says "Installed patches: 6"
                • 5. RE: UdaterUI.exe continous I/O reads
                  tonyb99
                  So you are running VSE 8.5 patch 6 with the latest 5300 engine and the latest DATS, but you arent managed by a central EPO setup using a mcafee agent? (no M icon in systray or additional blue and white systray shield in addition to the red white and blue VSE shield icon)

What OS are you running
                  • 6. RE: UdaterUI.exe continous I/O reads

Running XP. I do have the latest 5300 engine and the latest DATs (5388.0000). We are using an epo agent and our tech support here told me to reinstall the agent, because "my computer wasn't communicating with the McAfee server properly". However, the only icon I have in my sys tray is the blue shield with the red V in the middle.
                    • 7. RE: UdaterUI.exe continous I/O reads
                      tonyb99
                      Did he give you the agent to install? possibly a file called framepkg.exe
                      if you right click and look at its properties what version is it eg 3.6.0.574
                      You can easily enough uninstall the old agent from the command prompt or run box in windows if you have one to replace it with (this may be better than overinstalling if there is an issue with it)

uninstall would be (logged in as a user with local admin rights) eg.

start
                      run
                      c:\program files\mcafee\common framework\frminst.exe /forceuninstall
                      (obv you may have a slightly diff path to the files depending on how your techs set it up)
                      This brings up the uninstall and then you would want to reboot and install the new agent you have been given

after an install if you dont get an icon you either have the icon switched off vai policy from your AV techs or you can bring it up using the following in the run command
                      c:\%wherever the install was%\cmdagent.exe /s
                      • 8. RE: UdaterUI.exe continous I/O reads

Yup, there is a FramePkg file that is to be installed via a batch file

@ECHO OFF
                        REM Edited 7/1/2008 LEM

SET X_LOC=X:\Disks\McAfee\ePO agent
                        SET C_LOC=%USERPROFILE%\Desktop

COPY /Y "%X_LOC%\FramePkg.exe" "%C_LOC%"
                        START /WAIT /D "%C_LOC%" FramePkg.exe /install=agent /silent
                        START /D "C:\Program Files\McAfee\Common Framework" CmdAgent.exe /P
                        DEL /Q "%C_LOC%\FramePkg.exe"

The file version is 3.6.0.453. Sounds like there is a newer version available? I can try uninstalling the version I have now and reinstalling.

So I'm assuming that I should not be seeing UdaterUI.exe continuously performing I/O reads, correct?
                        • 9. RE: UdaterUI.exe continous I/O reads
                          tonyb99
                          well that version is pretty old but if you have it its def worth running the uninstall rebooting and installing the new one they gave you
                          1 2 Previous Next