8 Replies Latest reply on Nov 20, 2011 2:17 PM by kmtatar

Migration ePO to another server with verison upgrade

Hi,

I've have to migrate ePO server 4.5 Patch 3 from server 2008 to 2008 R2 SP1 with version upgrade to ePO 4.6.

What shoud I do to do this without any problems ?

Question: Is there any step by step guide in this case ?

Or maybe somebody had done it before ?

Greetings

Kamil Tatar

• 1. Re: Migration ePO to another server with verison upgrade

If you can have both the old and new ePO server live at the same time (each using their own SQL databases), you could use the export/import capabilities for tasks and policies and the transfer systems feature to move systems from the old to the new (see this thread https://community.mcafee.com/thread/39899 which references the manuals).

Or you could use this KB article https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB71078 to back up the old ePO and install it on the new server, then upgrade to 4.6 on the new server.

• 2. Re: Migration ePO to another server with verison upgrade

Thanks,

I've another question about existing two ePO instances: it is possible to have 2 instances with the same keys in keystore ?

If yes it will be great, is there any problems with that configuration ?

I have ~5000 clients with Agent 4.5.1810 and VS8.7 or 8.8.

• 3. Re: Migration ePO to another server with verison upgrade
              andrep1

By using the transfer feature of ePo, you make the other server aware of the key from the original server. Once the transfer is done, the endpoint report to the new server.

The only real draw back is you events history sits on the old server, but you can always do a roll up to the new server.

I've done the transfer and the rebuild with a repointing to the old db, both have advantages but the transfer is very easy if you have the hardware.

Also, I would recommend you do you ePo upgrade to 4.6 before anything, it is quick, easy and it is going to reduce the complexity of your project.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Migration ePO to another server with verison upgrade

@Andre, thanks.

So, I have to update ePO first anyway, ehh.

I must say once I was at McAfee ePO training and we try to upgrade ePO 4.5 Patch 3 (new installation)  to 4.6, it always falls

Some kind of JAVA platform problem.

Soon I will upgrade ePO at mine test lab and will see how it works.

McAfee distribute new version 4.6.1, shoud I update to tis version or to 4.6 ?

• 5. Re: Migration ePO to another server with verison upgrade
                  andrep1

A few helpful KBs that I dug up from email:

KB66144  Supported products and components in ePO 4.5

PD22978 - Release Notes for ePO 4.5 P4

KB71825  ePO 4.x installation / patch upgrade checklist for known issues

KB51438  Recommended procedure for migrating or moving the ePO 4.0 server to a new system

KB65739  Recommended procedure for migrating or moving an ePO 4.0 database to a new SQL server

KB66616  ePO 4.5 and 4.6 server backup and disaster recovery procedure

KB71078    How to migrate ePO 4.5 or ePO 4.6 from a 32-bit system to a 64-bit system (or to a different installation path)

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Migration ePO to another server with verison upgrade

Ok, thanks.

I will check this out.

• 7. Re: Migration ePO to another server with verison upgrade
                      pierce

Hey kmtatar.

I had similar issues with 4.5 being unable to upgrade from Patch 1 and have gone down the route of building a brand new epo 4.6.1 server.(I was going to 4.6, but may as well go to the latest bug fix!)

I exported and imported all the policies without a hitch, re-created server tasks and auto responses and to migrate the machines I deployed a rogue sensor in each area and deployed agents to any systems it detected. Not as easy as above with changing keys but meant I could just leave the 4.5 server to eventually die once no machines reported into it anymore and not worry about making any changes to it.

Just make sure that early as your migrating you make your new server how you want it, for example I renamed all my TAGS and set them to auto update where possible (these can be exported/imported as well without issues). this was much easier doing this with only a handful of testers rather than trying to make changes later once you have hundreds of machines.

The only things I didnt bring over were the dashboards and queries, the old system was so messy I just told my users to check the out of the box dashboards(you have to make them public first!) or re-create them, the queries that I did bring over always had an issue or two that needed to be tweaked.

hope this helps!

Thanks,

Pierce

• 8. Re: Migration ePO to another server with verison upgrade

Hey,

I've finished upgrading ePO from 4.5 P3 to 4.6.1 on my test lab.

Installation 4.5 was old (2007 or 2006), so it won't upgrade from 4.6.1 installator, but....

Solution was installation 4.5 path4 upgrade first, after that installation 4.6.1 went smoothly

Thanks for all answers.

Kamil