5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 1, 2011 8:55 AM by exbrit

McAfee freeze at Start-up, Windows unable to detect software

Hi There,

I have a brand new PC, about 2 months old.  Currently running Windows 7 which came with pre-installed McAfee.   I turned on my computer this weekend and noticed that it was significantly slower than it had been at start-up, as well my Windows Security Centre alerted me that my virus protection was not turned on. When i went to 'turn it on' via the SEcurity Centre, it fails to load, although in my Taskbar I can see that it is running.   Subsequently, several Internet sites that I frequented the most, i.e hotmail, facebook, fail to fully load. I ran all udates I could, however I am unable to view the homepage of the McAfee program so I am unable to run any updates for there.  After doing the typical troubleshooting with my PC it recommends the McAfee website for some updates, etc... however the link offered times-out/freezes.  

Any suggestions/help would be GREATLY appreciated as there is absolutely no reason why this error is occurring. I purchased this PC due to multiple software errors with my old one and wanted peace of mind...

Thank you!
      Marion

• 1. Re: McAfee freeze at Start-up, Windows unable to detect software
          exbrit

That's Windows 7 SP1 I trust and fully updated?   It's possible that either McAfee has become corrupted which can happen for a number of reasons, registry cleaners being utlised, use of System Restore, rival software etc., or you could have some sort of infection which we will tackle first.

Try booting into 'Safe Mode with Networking' by tapping F8 repeatedly while booting up.  It's number two on the ensuing menu and gives you the Internet while in Safe Mode.

In that mode you should be able to download, update before running (important) and run the FREE version of THIS software.  (Do NOT download the Pro version) 

Do all that before rebooting to regular mode.

See how McAfee now behaves.   If still acting up then uninstall via Control Panel/Programs/Uninstall a Program

Run the MCPR cleanup tool listed under Useful Links at the top of this page.

Reboot and reinstall from your online account.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 24/10/11 12:17:56 EDT PM
          • 2. Re: McAfee freeze at Start-up, Windows unable to detect software

Thank you for the reply!

I tried installing the software, however, to get the download, i have to be able to login into my email (hotmail).  Hotmail will not open through my web-browser, or it starts to load and then freezes.   I tried to the instead go through the control panel to uninstall/re-install, however, since McAfee is frozen, when I try to uninstall, it won't fully load- and by that, it will show up as a white screen/box while its initialzing and never show the text/data.

When I tried to go directly to the McAfee website last night to comment on the issue, the mcafee website won't load either-

I'm going to try to bring home a copy of the Malware software and go from there but this is very irritating for a brand new PC... argh...

• 3. Re: McAfee freeze at Start-up, Windows unable to detect software
              exbrit

Log into Hotmail?  Why?    It's simply a web page, nothing to do with your email.   Try loading the software on a removable flash drive then install it on your machine from that. 

• 4. Re: McAfee freeze at Start-up, Windows unable to detect software

Hi,

I ran the Malware scan on my computer, it came back clean.   I ran an AVG scan as well, same thing-clean. I even performed a PC tuneup, it found a few registry errors but after fixing those, the problems still persist.

I tried to uninstall Mcafee as you suggested, but the program freezes and will not load, just a white box where it would be the screen. The problem really seems to be with McAfee and Internet Explorer... any suggestions?

• 5. Re: McAfee freeze at Start-up, Windows unable to detect software
                  exbrit

The blank Ui is usually an Internet Explorer issue as McAfee SecurityCenter is actually an IE page albeit a small one and internal.    What version of Internet Explorer is installed?  Open it and go to Help/About.    If it's IE8 download IE9 from Microsoft.   If it's anything 'beta' uninstall it and install the final version.   If it's IE9 uninstall it to go back to IE8 and then reinstall IE9.   Another thing to try is to go to IE/Tools/Internet Option/Advanced and click Reset/Apply and Ok.    Close and reopne the browser and go to Tools/Manage Add-Ons and re-enable any you need.

PC TuneUps can be a mixed blessing...registry 'cleaning' does just that. cleans the registry of what it deems is garbage, but often cleans stuff that is vital.