8 Replies Latest reply on Oct 25, 2011 3:35 AM by smalldog

Category List

smalldog

Hi All, i config web gateway to block Web Mail but just can block Yahoo and Hotmail. I can not block Gmail. So how to know list webs that Web Mail contain it? Also list categories that McAfee definition? Thanks!

• 1. Re: Category List
          asabban

Hello,

I would expect Google Mail to be categorized correctly. Are you sure that there is no whitelist entry for *google.com or similar somewhere in your policy?

Best,

Andre

• 2. Re: Category List
            smalldog

Thanks Andre, i found *google.com in whitelist . One question about cache: can i set how many size  web gateway can use to caching? And how long web gateway will be refresh to catch new contents on web sites? And like first question above, how to know list some webs that contained in Web Mail category?

Message was edited by: smalldog on 10/24/11 4:36:33 AM CDT
            • 3. Re: Category List
              asabban

Hello,

there are not too many options for the cache yet, except using it or don´t :-)

MWG determines a maximum size for the cache during the installation. It calculates an appropriate cache size based on how much disk space is available on the system. The cache is used on a "last recently used" algorithm, which means that objects are stored until the cache is full, and then when a new object needs to be stored, the oldest object is removed. Using this the cache can never run full.

The decision wheter or not taking objects from the cache is pretty much static. If the page allows caching (depends on the headers we retrieve), we will store the response to the cache. If the object is requested again we tell the Web Server by using a header which object we have (timestamp). If the Web Server decides the object we have is old, it will send us a new one, which we put into the cache, and so on.

In regards to the last question I unfortunately do not really understand what you are looking for :-( Can you give me an example perhaps?

Thanks,

Andre

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Category List
                smalldog

Thanks for explanation, the last question i mean when i choice block Web Mail Category that will block Yahoo, Hotmail and Gmail that i tested. I want to know in Web Mail category that just contain Yahoo, Hotmail and Gmail or contain another web mail? I want to know all sites are defined as Web Mail by McAfee.

• 5. Re: Category List
                  asabban

Hello,

yes there are definitely more Web Mail services listed under that category.  For example the german Freemail Provider web.de (http://freemail.web.de) is also listed. Unfortunately I don´t think that we can provide a list of URLs known by McAfee and categorized as Web Mail, since the content of the URL Filter database is company confidential.

Is there anything specific you would like to achieve of is the list of URLs just for your interest?

Best,

Andre

• 6. Re: Category List
                    smalldog

I just want to know anymore about category that defined by McAfee. Thanks so much Andre for helping me!

• 7. Re: Category List
                      asabban

Hello,

all I can offer you is to look into this Guide:

http://www.trustedsource.org/download/ts_wd_reference_guide.pdf

It contains all categories, a description about the criteria for a URL to be categorized within that category, and a handful of example URLs.

I can´t provide a complete URL list.

Hope this is helpful.

Best,

Andre

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: Category List
                        smalldog

Good one Andre, thanks so much!