8 Replies Latest reply on Sep 19, 2008 5:03 AM by david.noble

Virusscan Enterprise 8.7

Can anyone tell me when 8.7 has been released?

Greetings
        • 1. RE: Virusscan Enterprise 8.7
          tonyb99
          its on beta right now
          if you sign up for the betas then you will get notification emails for it
          http://www.mcafee.com/us/enterprise/downloads/beta/index.html
          • 2. RE: Virusscan Enterprise 8.7

Okay, i'm still waiting.
            • 3. McAfee VirusScan Enterprise 8.7i Release Candidate Now Available
              *September 18, 2008*

**VirusScan Enterprise 8.7/i/ Release Candidate **

**Now Available**

McAfee is pleased to announce the release candidate of VirusScan Enterprise 8.7i
              and AntiSpyware Enterprise Module 8.7. The release candidate includes defect
              fixes and incorporates the 5300 engine.

VirusScan Enterprise 8.7i adds a number of new features that improve performance
              of malware scanning as well as a number of functional and usability
              improvements. Providing this new functionality required architectural changes to
              the product infrastructure. While we have performed extensive testing to ensure
              that these changes don’t impact the overall stability of the product, we urge
              you to download this beta version, test all features in environments that are
              similar to your production environments, and provide us feedback to help us
              further improve the stability and quality of the release.

*ENHANCE YOUR SECURITY WITH REAL-TIME MALWARE PROTECTION!*

We would like to call your attention to a new security feature that was
              introduced in the Beta 2 release of VirusScan Enterprise 8.7i. This feature,
              shown in the product UI and ePO as "*Heuristic network check for suspicious
              files"*, provides customers using VSE 8.7i with the real-time detections for
              malware. Using sensitivity levels that can be configured based on your risk
              tolerance, the real-time threat protection feature looks for suspicious files on
              your endpoints that are running VSE 8.7i. When VSE 8.7i with this feature
              enabled detects a suspicious program, it sends a DNS request containing a
              fingerprint of the suspicious file to McAfee Avert Labs which then communicates
              the appropriate action back to VSE 8.7i. The real-time defense feature also
              provides protection for classes of malware for which signatures may not be
              available.

This protection is _in addition_ to the world-class DAT-based detection
              VirusScan Enterprise has always provided. There is no additional client
              software or any change in user experience. In this release, this optional
              feature is available only for On Demand Scans and Email Scanning and is disabled
              by default. You must select a sensitivity level to enable the feature. We
              encourage you to try out this feature and provide us valuable feedback so that
              we can continue to enhance our industry leading malware protection capabilities.
              See the New Features tab and the Product Guide for more details.

*Beta Schedule*

VSE 8.7i Beta 1 - 10 Apr 2008

VSE 8.7i Beta 2 - 12 Jun 2008

VSE 8.7i Beta 3 – 28 July 2008

VSE 8.7i Release Candidate - 12 Sep 2008

Download Information and Documentation at http://www.mcafee.com/us/enterprise/downloads/beta/beta_mcafee/vse87i/vse87i.htm l
              • 4. RE: McAfee VirusScan Enterprise 8.7i Release Candidate Now Available
                Does anyone have any evidence that 8.7 improves performance over 8.5? I played with 8.7 a little and didnt notice any difference...
                • 5. RE: McAfee VirusScan Enterprise 8.7i Release Candidate Now Available

What do you mean? It's on beta right now??
                  • 6. RE: McAfee VirusScan Enterprise 8.7i Release Candidate Now Available
                    Yes, but at the McAfee away-day thing I went to, they claimed the major difference between 8.5 and 8.7 is that 8.7 will offer enhanced performance and improve overall PC performance. I did not notice any difference with the Beta I installed...
                    • 7. RE: McAfee VirusScan Enterprise 8.7i Release Candidate Now Available
                      tonyb99
                      They advised:

Better rootkit detection and cleaning without system reboot — Safe memory patching, better IRP repair support at the system core and ability to read locked files at the kernal level have enabled us to provide better detection and the ability to clean them without having to reboot the system.
                      On-access scan performance improvements during system startup — Added boot cache process that should improve on-access scan performance during system startup.
                      Greater self-protection — Enhanced ability to protect against a wider range of mal-processes that can terminate McAfee processes provides greater VirusScan Enterprise self-protection and product stability.

Im currently using beta 3
                      Anecdotally it does seem a tiny bit faster at boot...
                      More throttling options on scans should also come in handy
                      It does seem that the number of running executables has increased (with the associated memory demands) though. Still have to trace these back and find out what they are all doing.

In addition to my 44MB for mcshield im also using
                      60MB on the engineserver.exe (Common Shell3 - Scanners' interface to the 5000 series engine)
                      17MB on the mfeann.exe (VSCore Announcer - whatever the **** that is)