4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 22, 2011 8:11 AM by Peter M

How do I undo a virus removal?

My Mcafee Security Center detected a false virus and removed it without my permission.  This file is very important so how do I undo this virus removal?  I'm very ****** off right now.

• 1. Re: How do I undo a virus removal?
          Hayton

What was the name of the removed file, and how do you know it was not malware? Once it's gone, I think it's unrecoverable unless it's merely been quarantined.

If this really was a wrong detection, the labs will have to know so they can investigate and fix the detection. This doesn't help you if you want the file back; if you know where it came from, I'm afraid you'll have to go and get it again. Better wait though until after any fix has gone in - assuming this really was a false positive detection.

• 2. Re: How do I undo a virus removal?

It's a .dat file for a Cisco switch and I know it's not malware because I created it.  I had it on a USB flash drive and when I plugged it into my laptop Mcafee instantly deleted it.  Right now I can't even turn off real time protection because my subscription is expired.  YOU'VE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME!!!  Now I know why I stopped using Mcafee over a decade ago.  Luckily my laptop only came with a free 3 month subscription.   It's currently being uninstalled from my laptop.   I don't understand why any vendor would make their customers suffer by putting this garbage on their PCs.  Good riddance!

Message was edited by: negativebeef on 10/21/11 10:23:52 PM CDT
            • 3. Re: How do I undo a virus removal?
              Hayton

Now I see why you're not pleased. Was the file deleted or quarantined? If quarantined, you can get it back. Can you remember what did the detection message said? For a file that you created, it would be strange if the detection identified it as a known virus or trojan : the normal detection would flag a potential threat with an Artemis identifier - and quarantine it.

• 4. Re: How do I undo a virus removal?
                Peter M

negativebeef wrote:

My Mcafee Security Center detected a false virus and removed it without my permission.  This file is very important so how do I undo this virus removal?  I'm very ****** off right now.

Some help with that here:  https://community.mcafee.com/thread/2016