4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 7, 2011 8:37 AM by memphiseagrove

Updates appear to be chewing up disk space

Every time I see McAfee Virus Scan installing an update, I lose a LOT of available disk space.  This last one, yesterday, chewed up about 400 MB.  Over the last two or three months, nearly 6 GB has gone away.  I haven't installed any new applications, and have probably only saved 500 MB or so of appication data.  Recycle Bin is empty.

Is there something I can delete to recover this space?  If so, where is it?

• 1. Re: Updates appear to be chewing up disk space
          JaiPrakash

Hi ,

It seems something new that we have heard as off now.

Kindly follow the below 3 steps & kindly update us with the following information’s:

Step 1: Clear all the Windows Temp Files: - (Navigation: Click Start > Run >Type Temp ) and clear all temp files.

Step 2: Clear all the Local Temp Files: - (Navigation: Click Start > Run >Type %Temp% ) and clear all temp files of the local user.

Step 3: Clear all the Temporary Internet Files:- (Navigation: Open Internet explorer > Tools > Internet Options > Under General tab) clear all temp internet files & cookies.

Hard Disk capacity:

RAM Size:

Operating System:

Purchased McAfee Product from: (Stores/ Online/ Partner/ Etc.,)

Version details of installed McAfee Product:

(Navigation: Open McAfee product > Click About on the top right)

• McAfee Security Center:
          • McAfee Virus Scan:

DAT version:

• McAfee Personal Firewall:
          • 2. Re: Updates appear to be chewing up disk space

Thanks for the reply, Jai.

I cleared all the temp files as you suggested, the same day you replied.

Disk capacity is roughly 80GB

RAM is 1GB

Operating system is XP Pro, Service Pack 3

Original purchase of McAfee was in 2004 and I don't remember where from.  All subsequent updates have been online from McAfee's web site.

Security Center is 11.0.623

Virus Scan is 15.0.291

I don't use McAfee firewall.  I have Zone Alarm.

McAfee has updated twice since my original post. I have lost over 1GB in that very short time, despite barely using the computer, other than updating my bills on Quicken.  Last night's McAfee update used up 300MB. 

• 3. Re: Updates appear to be chewing up disk space
              JaiPrakash

Hi,

It appears like this issue needs some more diagnostics, I have sent you an e-mail requesting for more details on the same. Kindly have it replied so that we can help you better on this issue.