5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 20, 2011 10:53 AM by JoeBidgood

ePO 4.5 problems adding new systems

Hi,

Our organisation is fairly new to ePO, were using 4.5 with EEPC and we seem to be having some issues getting new machines managed on the ePO console. When manually adding new systems to the system tree i've found by using the 'Browse' button to locate the machine name seems to work fine but some machines arent appearing in the list. E.g. I just setup a new laptop yesterday, joined it to the domain and am trying to deploy EEPC to the machine but I cant get it managed in the ePO console. When I browse for systems in ePO this machine is not appearing under our domain. Its definately on the domain and its in the correct OU, the machine account is active, the machine is on and the DNS entries are all correct for the machine. I tried manually typing the machine name into ePO to add the system that way and although it now appears in the system tree its showing as 'unmanaged' and has been since yesterday (even though the machines been rebooted a couple of times and was left on overnight). What am I doing wrong here? We have hundreds of other systems which are working fine but I dont understand why the machine isnt showing up in ePO when I browse for machines.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Matt

• 1. Re: ePO 4.5 problems adding new systems
          JoeBidgood

Forgive the question, but it's not clear from your description above if these machines have an agent installed or not... I suspect not

If this is the case, have a look at the "Distributing Agents to Manage Systems" section of the ePO 4.5 Product Guide - it'll get you started.

HTH -

Joe

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: ePO 4.5 problems adding new systems

Hi Joe,

Apologies, I should have been clearer. No, in the case of the problematic systems they do not have an agent installed. This is where we are getting stuck. We are using ePO to Install the agents on the client machines but in the case of the problematic clients it appears as though the ePO server cannot communicate with the client. Where does the ePO server get the list of hosts from when you click the 'browse' button from the New Systems screen? It suggests its looking at the DC but the machine is definately on the domain and I can see its machine account on the DC yet it doesnt appear in this list. I have read the Distributing agents to manage systems secion of the product guide and it doesnt apear to offer any insight into this area.

Thanks

Matt

• 3. Re: ePO 4.5 problems adding new systems
              JoeBidgood

No problem

ePO gets the machines in the browse list from the master browser, so itf you don't have WINS or netbios over tcp/ip then you may not be able to see the machines. However, there's nothing stopping you from simply typing in the machine name, or importing it from a text file. Alternatively you can import a list of machines from AD via an AD sync.

However, this is only part of the process: this simply gets a list of machines into ePO, from where you can push agents to them. However there are a large number of places where pushing agents to machines can go wrong - see  KB56386 for details. The first place to look for errors is in the server task log

If for whatever reason you can't push agents to these machines, you can always install the agent manually. Once the agent is on the machines they no longer need NT authentication - but it's definitely a factor in getting it installed in the first place

HTH -

Joe

• 4. Re: ePO 4.5 problems adding new systems

Ah ha! I have managed to resolve this. When I set the machine up originally there was a problem with the DNS records on our DNS server and they were pointing to the wrong IP (the machine was on the domain before but the hard disk failed). I corrected this but failed to realise that the ePO server only tries to deploy the agent once (which obviously failed because the DNS entry was going to the wrong IP). I have just asked the ePO server to deploy the agent again and lo and behold its gone straight onto the client. Thanks for your help, all solved

• 5. Re: ePO 4.5 problems adding new systems
                  JoeBidgood

No problem, glad it's sorted

Regards -

Joe