1 of 1 people found this helpful
Forgive the question, but it's not clear from your description above if these machines have an agent installed or not... I suspect not
If this is the case, have a look at the "Distributing Agents to Manage Systems" section of the ePO 4.5 Product Guide - it'll get you started.
Apologies, I should have been clearer. No, in the case of the problematic systems they do not have an agent installed. This is where we are getting stuck. We are using ePO to Install the agents on the client machines but in the case of the problematic clients it appears as though the ePO server cannot communicate with the client. Where does the ePO server get the list of hosts from when you click the 'browse' button from the New Systems screen? It suggests its looking at the DC but the machine is definately on the domain and I can see its machine account on the DC yet it doesnt appear in this list. I have read the Distributing agents to manage systems secion of the product guide and it doesnt apear to offer any insight into this area.
ePO gets the machines in the browse list from the master browser, so itf you don't have WINS or netbios over tcp/ip then you may not be able to see the machines. However, there's nothing stopping you from simply typing in the machine name, or importing it from a text file. Alternatively you can import a list of machines from AD via an AD sync.
However, this is only part of the process: this simply gets a list of machines into ePO, from where you can push agents to them. However there are a large number of places where pushing agents to machines can go wrong - see KB56386 for details. The first place to look for errors is in the server task log
If for whatever reason you can't push agents to these machines, you can always install the agent manually. Once the agent is on the machines they no longer need NT authentication - but it's definitely a factor in getting it installed in the first place
Ah ha! I have managed to resolve this. When I set the machine up originally there was a problem with the DNS records on our DNS server and they were pointing to the wrong IP (the machine was on the domain before but the hard disk failed). I corrected this but failed to realise that the ePO server only tries to deploy the agent once (which obviously failed because the DNS entry was going to the wrong IP). I have just asked the ePO server to deploy the agent again and lo and behold its gone straight onto the client. Thanks for your help, all solved
No problem, glad it's sorted