6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 20, 2011 10:52 AM by JoeBidgood

Function to obtain the list of threat events?

Hi,

I am able to run https://epo/remote/core.executeQuery?queryId=307 to get a count of threat events in the last two weeks. But is there a function to get the detail of every event? I am looking to have a script to monitor ePO and obtain threat event related information in an automated way.

Thank you.

Jin.

Message was edited by: jin on 10/19/11 2:22:27 PM CDT
        • 1. Re: Function to obtain the list of threat events?

Anyone might know which database tables are used to store the threat events? I found couple tables with system related events only. Thank you.

• 2. Re: Function to obtain the list of threat events?
            rackroyd

You can request the DB schema with a support case, but it must have a valid business case behind it and not be achievable inside of ePO or the request will be refused.

The relationship of events to detail to machines is not simple.

You don't say which ePO version is in play but the query engine in ePO 4.5 and 4.6 is quite flexible. You should be able to buil up something close to what you need with experimentation.

Rgds,

Rob.

• 3. Re: Function to obtain the list of threat events?

At the moment, I am trying to understand the result of https://epo/remote/core.listTables?table=EPOEvents in ePO 4.6 as below. I can get this information from ePO web console. However, I want to be able to have a script to watch ePO for me by checking the content of the table and send out alerts when new event is added with several items in the event. Is this doable via ePO 4.6 API?

One thing I noticed is that dbo.EPOEvents does not have the most recent events which worries me if I am looking at the right table.

Thank you.

Name: Threat Events

Target: EPOEvents

Type: target

Database Type:

Description: Retrieves information on Threat Events sent from managed systems.

Columns:

Name                    Type           Select? Condition? GroupBy? Order? Number?

----------------------- -------------- ------- ---------- -------- ------ -------

AutoID                  int            false   false      false    true   true  

AutoGUID                string         false   false      false    true   false 

ServerID                string         true    false      false    true   false 

ReceivedUTC             timestamp      true    true       true     true   false 

DetectedUTC             timestamp      true    true       true     true   false 

AgentGUID               string         true    false      false    true   false 

Analyzer                string_lookup  true    true       true     true   false 

AnalyzerName            string_lookup  true    true       true     true   false 

AnalyzerVersion         string_lookup  true    true       true     true   false 

AnalyzerHostName        string         true    true       true     true   false 

AnalyzerIPV4            ipv4           true    true       true     true   false 

AnalyzerIPV6            ipv6           true    true       true     true   false 

AnalyzerMAC             string         true    true       true     true   false 

AnalyzerDATVersion      string         true    true       true     true   false 

AnalyzerEngineVersion   string_lookup  true    true       true     true   false 

SourceHostName          string         true    true       true     true   false 

SourceIPV4              ipv4           true    true       true     true   false 

SourceIPV6              ipv6           true    true       true     true   false 

SourceMAC               string         true    true       true     true   false 

SourceUserName          string         true    true       true     true   false 

SourceProcessName       string         true    true       true     true   false 

SourceURL               string         true    true       true     true   false 

TargetHostName          string         true    true       true     true   false 

TargetIPV4              ipv4           true    true       true     true   false 

TargetIPV6              ipv6           true    true       true     true   false 

TargetMAC               string         true    true       true     true   false 

TargetUserName          string         true    true       true     true   false 

TargetPort              int            true    true       true     true   true  

TargetProtocol          string_lookup  true    true       true     true   false 

TargetProcessName       string         true    true       true     true   false 

TargetFileName          string         true    true       true     true   false 

ThreatCategory          threatcategory true    true       true     true   false 

ThreatEventID           eventIdInt     true    true       true     true   true  

ThreatSeverity          enum           true    true       true     true   false 

ThreatName              string_lookup  true    true       true     true   false 

ThreatType              string_enum    true    true       true     true   false 

ThreatActionTaken       string_enum    true    true       true     true   false 

ThreatHandled           boolean        true    true       true     true   false 

AnalyzerDetectionMethod string_lookup  true    true       true     true   false 

Related Tables:

Name

----------------------------

EPOLeafNode

EPOEvents_RelatedTargetsView

EPOEvents_RelatedSourcesView

EPOEventFilterDesc

GSDadditionaldata

HIP8_EventInfo

Foreign Keys:

Source table Source Columns Destination table            Destination columns Allows inverse? One-to-one? Many-to-one?

------------ -------------- ---------------------------- ------------------- --------------- ----------- ------------

EPOEvents    AgentGUID      EPOLeafNode                  AgentGUID           false           false       true       

EPOEvents    ThreatEventID  EPOEventFilterDesc           EventId             false           false       true       

EPOEvents    AutoID         EPOEvents_RelatedTargetsView EventID             false           false       true       

EPOEvents    AutoID         EPOEvents_RelatedSourcesView EventID             false           false       true       

• 4. Re: Function to obtain the list of threat events?
                JoeBidgood

I'm not sure why you would want to do this via the API - unless I misunderstand, what you're describing can be done with the exiting ePO automatic responses, which essentially do exactly what you're describing: watch the table and respond when a change occurs.)

HTH -

Joe

• 5. Re: Function to obtain the list of threat events?

Haha, I really don't know this feature at all. My ultimate goal is to collect information from other systems like IPS, URL filtering, as well as event logs in the targeted system to simplify investigation when a threat is reported. Looks like auto response might meet the requirements. I will test and post my feedback here.

Sorry for my ignorance and thank you for the information.

• 6. Re: Function to obtain the list of threat events?
                    JoeBidgood

No problem - just trying to save you from reinventing the wheel

Regards -

Joe