4 Replies Latest reply: Oct 18, 2011 9:41 AM by Ex_Brit RSS

How to REALLY turn off security center?

styleminister

Hi!

I got a new PC a few months ago. McAfee wasn't my first choice for security software since then, but it was pre-installed and why re-installing a running system? so it worked fine till i got a Google redirect virus while using McAfee Security Center! I doesn't even find something on a scan.

So i tried several tools to clean my system and one of the last ones i'm trying to use before re-installing my whole system requires to turn off all my other security software. I know normally it's not rquired doing this, but if McAfee isn' even able to find the virus, i do have to use other tools.

So i tried to turn off Security Center by doing the following:

- turning off all elements for a period of 45 minutes -> ok, it shows "turned off" but on taskmanager mcshield.exe and 3 other processes were still running

- tried to turn off these processes through taskmanager -> without success, iis not possible doing this

- tried to disable McAfee starting at windows start -> not possible, processes still running

if i try to run the other cleaning tool, it warns me doing that while running McAfee, because it could cause seriously damage on my system!

running in safe-mode is not recommended for the other tool!

So, am i really not able to turn off a 'security' software, which was not able to protect me from malware? The last way would be to uninstall it completely...i'm really not happy about this software so far!!!

thx in advance

frank