Skip navigation
McAfee Secure sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
4716 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: Oct 18, 2011 9:41 AM by Ex_Brit RSS
styleminister Newcomer 2 posts since
Oct 17, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 17, 2011 5:35 PM

How to REALLY turn off security center?

Hi!

I got a new PC a few months ago. McAfee wasn't my first choice for security software since then, but it was pre-installed and why re-installing a running system? so it worked fine till i got a Google redirect virus while using McAfee Security Center! I doesn't even find something on a scan.

So i tried several tools to clean my system and one of the last ones i'm trying to use before re-installing my whole system requires to turn off all my other security software. I know normally it's not rquired doing this, but if McAfee isn' even able to find the virus, i do have to use other tools.

So i tried to turn off Security Center by doing the following:

- turning off all elements for a period of 45 minutes -> ok, it shows "turned off" but on taskmanager mcshield.exe and 3 other processes were still running

- tried to turn off these processes through taskmanager -> without success, iis not possible doing this

- tried to disable McAfee starting at windows start -> not possible, processes still running

if i try to run the other cleaning tool, it warns me doing that while running McAfee, because it could cause seriously damage on my system!

running in safe-mode is not recommended for the other tool!

So, am i really not able to turn off a 'security' software, which was not able to protect me from malware? The last way would be to uninstall it completely...i'm really not happy about this software so far!!!

thx in advance

frank

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• Correct Answers - 5 points
  • Helpful Answers - 3 points