1 2 3 4 Previous Next 31 Replies Latest reply on Aug 8, 2012 3:12 PM by Peacekeeper Branched from an earlier discussion.

High CPU in mfevtps

My computer seems like its ready to fly away and is burning up.  The main process eating up CPU always seems to be the " mfevtps" file.  Please help me determine cause for this.  I've read through this community forum and found that I'm a little late to the party but nonetheless, every bit wrapped in the same problems. 

mfevtps_HIGH Usage.jpg

Thank you,

Brian

• 1. Re: High CPU in mfevtps
          SPyron

Hey brian cubed,

Your issue with mfevtps wasn't the same one as being reported in the mcagent thread, so I put this on it's own to get it more attention.

If you're running Windows XP SP3, this is a sort of known issue. Microsoft's cryptography module had some issues causing our validation service (mfevtps) to use too much memory/cpu cycles.

Take a look at this knowledgebase article:

http://service.mcafee.com/faqdocument.aspx?id=TS101280

Let me know if that works for you.

Thanks!!

Somer

• 2. Re: High CPU in mfevtps

Thanks for the quick response!  I tried to click on the link provided and it returns "The Document ID you entered was not recognized in our system.."   In any case, I'm not on Windows XP.  My set up is as follows:

Windows 7 Home Premium (Service Pack 1)

Processor:  AMD Turion(tm) X2 Ultra Dual-Core Mobile ZM-87  2.40 GHz

Installed memory (RAM) 6.00GB

64-Bit Operating System

I'll wait to post more detials until I review your suggestion.

Thanks again,

Brian

• 3. Re: High CPU in mfevtps
              Peacekeeper

Retry the link please it is working now

• 4. Re: High CPU in mfevtps

Thank you for updating the link.  However, my operating system is not Windows XP, I have Windows 7.  If this senario is the same both operating systems then please let me know and I will try this solution.

Affected Operating Systems:
                Windows XP (sp3 only)

Thanks,

B

• 5. Re: High CPU in mfevtps

Hi, "me too" to this, please - I'm also running Win7 and mfevtps is chewing up 41% of my CPU time!

• 6. Re: High CPU in mfevtps
                    SPyron

It's probably caused by the same problem, but the fix I have is for winXP sp3 only.

While I do some research guys, please go to windows update and make sure you're totally up to date.

• 7. Re: High CPU in mfevtps
                      SPyron

Can you open Task Manager. When the MFEVTPS.EXE starts getting high, can you right-click and select 'create a crash dump?'

If you can get this, please upload it to me at ftp://custftp2.nai.com/incoming/spyron/ and reply to this thread with the name of the file so I know.

• 8. Re: High CPU in mfevtps

Not doing it this morning (maybe because I'd turned off access protection, following another thread on this type of problem?), but it has occured fairly regularly, so I've turned AP back on and will see if that makes a difference.

One question: Win7 displays the main screen quite early on in the boot process.  If we start Outlook (we're running Outlook 2003, by the way) quite quickly, maybe before the McAfee splash screen has displayed, could we get some sort of conflict be tween Outlook starting up and McAfee trying to hook the email scanner into Outlook?

Message was edited by: clayga on 18/10/11 01:15:22 CDT
                        • 9. Re: High CPU in mfevtps

All is quiet this morning.  As soon as the "jet engine" revs back up on this laptop I'll create a dump file and send it to you.  Thank you for the continued interest into this issue and working with me/us to solve it.

1 2 3 4 Previous Next