3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 18, 2011 11:04 AM by viawind

Access Control for Windows Live Mail

I am running McAfee Virus Scan Enterprise (provided by my employer) ina Home Office situation. I recently upgraded my PC from XP to Windows 7. As a replacement for Outlook Express I am trying to run Windows Live Mail (WLM) as a POP3 client to Comcast mail. Without modifying the McAfee Access control rule which controls mass mailing worms trying to send email, WLM cannot send mail to the Comcast SMTP server. The Access control log shows the WLM executable is being blocked:

"10/16/2011 1:35:14 PM Blocked by port blocking rule  C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Live\Mail\wlmail.exe Anti-virus Standard Protection:Prevent mass mailing worms from sending mail 76.96.30.117:587"

If I disable this rule the mail is sent.

I have tried unsuccessfully to edit the rule to allow WLM, wlmail.exe, to send mail.  The list of processes to exclude does not include wlmail.exe. Adding it to the list of processes to include (currently "*") does not help. Maybe there is an underlying process being used by WLM that is being blocked? Thanks for any help.