2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 2, 2008 9:24 AM by Rizzoratt

"Unable to find a valid repository" VirusScan 8.0/7.1i Enterprise (No ePO)

We have several servers with VirusScan Enterprise 8.0i and 7.1i (no ePO). A central server is running a script which downloads the dat files from ftp.nai.com and puts them on an internal FTP that the clients download from.

Since sometime around the first of June, we have been experiencing the following error on SOME, but NOT all of our servers. The one consistent thing that I haven't completely confirmed is the affected ones seem to be running Scan Engine 5200, but it doesn't change when you upgrade to 5300 (same issue).

Post from Error Log:

8/27/2008 11:43:10 AM NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM File resource_directories/mcafee/dat_files/Current\VIRUSCAN8600\VSE850Det.McS not found
      8/27/2008 11:43:12 AM NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM File resource_directories/mcafee/dat_files/Current\ENCPTCNT6000\EceptCntDet.mcs not found
      8/27/2008 11:43:14 AM NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM File resource_directories/mcafee/dat_files/Current\MPEPRDCK1000\MPEPRDCKDet.McS not found
      8/27/2008 11:43:16 AM NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM File resource_directories/mcafee/dat_files/Current\MPESVRUP1000\MPESVRUPDet.McS not found
      8/27/2008 11:43:18 AM NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM File resource_directories/mcafee/dat_files/Current\MPEVIRCK1000\MPEVIRCKDet.McS not found
      8/27/2008 11:43:20 AM NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM File resource_directories/mcafee/dat_files/Current\MPEMSBCK1000\MPEMSBCKDet.McS not found
      8/27/2008 11:43:22 AM NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM File resource_directories/mcafee/dat_files/Current\PATCHTMP2000\PatchTmpDet.McS not found
      8/27/2008 11:43:24 AM NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM File resource_directories/mcafee/dat_files/Current\AUENGINEMETA\AUEngineContentDetec tion.McS not found
      8/27/2008 11:43:26 AM NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM File resource_directories/mcafee/dat_files/Current\PUPDAT__1000\PUPDet.mcs not found
      8/27/2008 11:43:28 AM NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM File resource_directories/mcafee/dat_files/Current\SPAMSAFE1000\SK_det.mcs not found
      8/27/2008 11:43:29 AM NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM Update Finished
      8/27/2008 11:43:29 AM NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM Closing the update session.
      8/27/2008 11:43:29 AM NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM Unable to find a valid repository.
      8/27/2008 11:43:29 AM NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM Closing the update session.

End of Log

I am new at this job, but I have been told that nothing has changed as far as permissions on these servers or anything that is consistent has happened that ties these together (not even physical location/network).

Any ideas why this may be looking in a different directory or what may have changed? I can always move the files and change the script, but I was just curious why it all the sudden started erroring and why on only certain servers????

Thanks,
      Rizz
        • 1. RE: "Unable to find a valid repository" VirusScan 8.0/7.1i Enterprise (No ePO)
          You've posted in the wrong forum.. This particular forum is for the old "retail" VirusScan 8 and earlier.. You're using the corporate "Enterprise" versions of VirusScan.. I'll move your post to the corporate "Desktop and Server" forum where you should get better responses.

You can access your thread from either forum location.

In the meantime, just a question...Are the problem computers running VS 7.1? If so, please recognize that Vs 7.1 is no longer supported by McAfee and as a result, they could be experiencing issues with the downloaded update files..

Other than that, I would certain recreate the repository on each of the problem machines and see if that corrects the issue. During that recreation of the repository, verify that the computer is connecting properly with the update server.

Hope this helps.

Grif
          • 2. RE: "Unable to find a valid repository" VirusScan 8.0/7.1i Enterprise (No ePO)
            Grif,

Thank you for moving my post to the correct forum. Sorry for mis-posting.

All but one of the servers are running Enterprise 8.0i, which at first is what I thought was the culprit - that Version - until I found only one which was running 7.1i (understanding now that this is no longer supported, I will upgrade), but this was one of our test servers, so it wasn't a critical one.

I will try recreating the repository as suggested and let you know what happens.

Thanks for your efforts,
            Trudi