2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 12, 2011 3:48 AM by JoeBidgood

Can we have multiple master servers sharing the same repositories?

We use the same master EPO server for Windows workstations and Windows server clients.

Can we separate the servers from the sorkstations ... have a Master server for each and still share the same repository servers?

We are currently using EPO but are upgrading to 4.6 in the very new future.

Thanks for your help!

• 1. Re: Can we have multiple master servers sharing the same repositories?

As per my understanding you are planning to have differentePO Server for managing Server & Clients. But you should use the sameDistributed repositories.

Configure 1st ePO Server to Manage Servers withbelow

1. Configuration of Distributed Repositories
          2. Schedule replication tasks
          3. Deploy Agent only for Servers.

If you are already use another ePOServer you can also use “Transfer Systems” so that the managed clients will beautomatically moved to new ePO Server.

Configure the 2nd ePO Server

1. Define the Repository location
          2. Make sure you have not defined any replicationtask(Already managed by 1st ePO Server)

I hope this may help you to have two different servers tomanage Servers & Clients with same distributed repositories.

But instead of using two different ePO Servers you cancustomize the Agent handlers.

You can create two agent handlers with the same ePO Serverwhich can perform same kind of activity. One Agent handler configured to manageServers and another one to manage Clients.

Of course you can use other agent handler if any one agenthandler is down due to any issue.

• 2. Re: Can we have multiple master servers sharing the same repositories?
            JoeBidgood

Unfortunately I'm afraid this won't work at all...  the content  in a distributed repository is signed by the ePO server that controls it, and the client machines are given the keys by the server that controls them - the clients will only accept content that they have the leys for. Additionally, distributed repositories are date/time stamped - so you'd have to be very careful about the order in which replications were done, otherwise you would wind up with one group of machines refusing to update from a distributed repository because they believe it to be out of date.

To the OP - can I ask exactly what you're trying to achieve? What's the reasoning for wanting to have separate servers?  It may be that there's a simpler approach.

Thanks -

Joe