4 Replies Latest reply on May 12, 2013 12:11 PM by joedzek

Mcshield.exe High Virtual Memory Usage

A couple of weeks ago I bought a license of Mcafee Internet Security (including security centre v11,Virus Scan v15, firewal v12, etc….) and installed it on my dell inspiron running with windows XP

I’m experiencing problems with mcshield.exe and its high virtual memory/CPU Usage with CPU uses 50-90% (and memory always over 120.000k wich I understand I have to accept)

Problems are happening especially at start up with the computer extremely slow for 10-15 minutes or on accessing new sites with i.explorer

I am seeing there are logs and people struggling with  the mcshield.exe and its high Virtual Memory Usage for more than 3 years, various possible solutions (like deleting error logs or installing patches)… but most of them are unresolved and people frustrated

After so many years and clients unsatisfied…. is there any straightforward solution?

• 1. Re: Mcshield.exe High Virtual Memory Usage
          Peacekeeper

When you installed it was there an old verion or trial version on the PC or had been on the PC?

No old other brand AV has been on the PC? If so it needs to have its own removal tool run before installing Mcafee.

Good idea to try a clean install reinstall and insure you XP is fully up to date ie SP3

http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?lc=1033&id=TS100507

reboot after above and run

http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/Mcpreinstall.e xe

reinstall Mcafee from your account.

• 2. Re: Mcshield.exe High Virtual Memory Usage

I just sent the following message to Level 2.5 Escalation (email McAfeeCallback which is at SutherlandGlobal in the COMmercial domain, in case these jerks filter for email addresses. I recommend that everyone here snow them with emails; maybe it will get their attention):

"Like the other poor people in your Forum here:

https://community.mcafee.com/thread/23377?start=350&tstart=0

... I am finding mcshield.exe to be defective. It starts out with about 16K of memory assigned to it. As time goes on, it collects more and more memory that does not belong to it. Right now, my copy of mcshield is running at about 85K. This is the classic symptom of a "memory leak", which means that a piece of software is poorly programmed or designed, and over time accumulates more and more memory (and accordingly does weird things.) I find that mcshield tends to kick in and gobble up 99% of CPU time when I am doing something that McAfee has NO BUSINESS interfering with (such as opening a Properties tab on a LOCAL Adobe Reader document.)

I was SHOCKED to find that this problem dates back to (at least) March 30, __2010__ (that's "two thousand and ten", or over TWO YEARS AGO!!!) So I'll just assume that this is something that McAfee is fully aware of, but can't be bothered to fix.

I don't know what else to say:

FIX THIS!!!

FIX THIS!!!

FIX THIS!!!

FIX THIS!!!

FIX THIS!!!

FIX THIS!!!

FIX THIS!!!

FIX THIS!!!

FIX THIS!!!

FIX THIS!!!

FIX THIS!!!

FIX THIS!!!

FIX THIS!!!

FIX THIS!!!

FIX THIS!!!

FIX THIS!!!

FIX THIS!!!

FIX THIS!!!

I'm going to get the hell rid of this crappy software when my subscription runs out in a few months, but in the meantime I need it to at least HALFWAY work without crippling my machine. I am very busy at the moment, so I'm not interested in having my machine tied up for a couple hours while one of your techs pokes around in it. You KNOW what this problem is!! Get your ENGINEERS on it and FIX IT!

GB"

This is ridiculous. There are also at least FIVE other threads on this same problem!!! Complain NOW, and complain often.

• 3. Re: Mcshield.exe High Virtual Memory Usage
              Peacekeeper

see

https://community.mcafee.com/message/236706#236706

1 post enough

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 16/04/12 6:50:45 PM
              • 4. Re: Mcshield.exe High Virtual Memory Usage

Folks, I was also having this problem, and was discussing it in another note.  I did notice this behavior.  My XP 2.5Ghz Celeron CPU with 500MB kept seeing high usage rates with MCSHIELD and WINLOGIN.  Like clockwork, I would see 100% CPU utilized every few seconds.  BUT, after running MC Virtual Technician, it seemed to stop this behavior.  It would stay stopped until I ran the updater (have auto updates turned off).  Once the updater ran, the MCSHIELD and WINLOGIN high CPU usage ticks returned.  So....something in MC VT stops this behavior and it stays stopped (CPU happy at 97%-99% idle) until the updater is run, and then the problem returns.  Just a FYI.

Message was edited by: joedzek on 5/12/13 12:10:23 PM CDT

Message was edited by: joedzek on 5/12/13 12:11:47 PM CDT