4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 22, 2011 10:04 AM by JaiPrakash

Firewall: off or on, after installing Total Protection Security Center?

I'm at a lost at the moment, this problem happened after I had to reinstall Total Protection 2011 because the subscription date referenced the old McAfee software.

For some reason the Total Protection 2011 does not indicate that the existing McAfee software program needed to be uninstalled as this was an upgrade. But maybe McAfee needs to be explicit that any upgrade of a McAfee product that offers enhanced features is a new installation, and therefore should be unistalled completely.

So after installing Total Protection 2011 and the unnecessary reinstalling of the the Security Center following a hard reboot, I noticed that the Firewall setting was still greyed out. The cleanup tool should kick in before the installation process, on first install this did not happen but did on the second install.

QUESTION 1. Should I have disabled/uninstalled Spybot Search & Destroy during Total Protection installation?

• Spybot was the only software that came up as a conflict and I bypass it and continued with the installation
      • From the home screen it states that the Firewall is turned ON
      • Settings screen states the Firewall is OFF with two options of Turn On / Restore
      • Click to Turn On, the Done button shows up but in the Firewall home screen indicates Firewall Off

When I ran Virtual Technician it states three files were missing but did not list them these files

So I ran Winpatrol and noticed 3 files in the services tab which did not have icons:-

• mfefire.exe > McAfee Firewall Core Srvice
      • mcshield.exe > McAfee McShield
      • mfevtps.exe > McAfee Validtion Trust Protection

If three files identifed in Virtual Technician are missing, could it be the ones which did not hav a McAfee icons against the files, if yes can the above files be separately downloaded and added to the program.

I checked the file out in Windows XP Services > Dependencies ::::

McAfee Firewall Core Service requires ...

- McAfee Validation Trust Protection requires

- McAfe Inc. mfehidk

components files needed > McAfee Firewall Core

- anti-spam service

- network agent

- proxy service

McAfee McShield requires ...

McAfee Validation Trust Protection requires ...

- McAfe Inc. mfehidk

McAfee Validation Trust Protection requires ...

- McAfe Inc. mfehidk

components needed > McAfee Firewall Core

- anti-spam service

- network agent

- proxy service

QUESTION 2. Do  I disable/uninstall Spybot Search & Destroy and reinstall Total Protection?