4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 17, 2011 3:10 PM by exbrit

Cannot Install "AT&T Internet Security Suite powered by McAfee®" In Windows 2000

Hi everyone,

Hopefully someone can help me solve an installation problem. I am trying to install Internet Security Suite on a Win2K machine and am having no success. This program is provided by my ISP, AT&T. Every time I run McAfeeSetup-Serial.exe, after a few seconds I get a program error: "Install.exe has generated errors and will be closed by Windows. You will need to restart the program. An error log is being created.". In true Windows fashion, the message does not specify the name of the "error log" file. I saw that McAfeeSetup-Serial000.log was created, contents are below.

10/08/2011 10:32:07 AM$ -- (Error)$ [McAfeeSetup-Ser]$ FindResource() failed. Error code: 1814

10/08/2011 10:32:07 AM$ -- (Error)$ [McAfeeSetup-Ser]$ The module C:\DOCUME~1\ADMINI~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\McInstallTemp\SelfProtect\Win32\APNWL.cab is not digitally signed.

10/08/2011 10:32:08 AM$ -- (Error)$ [McAfeeSetup-Ser]$ FindResource() failed. Error code: 1814

10/08/2011 10:32:08 AM$ -- (Error)$ [McAfeeSetup-Ser]$ The module C:\DOCUME~1\ADMINI~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\McInstallTemp\SelfProtect\Win64\AP64NWL.cab is not digitally signed.

Per the system requirements (per AT&T -- see attached screenshots) for ISS, my Win2K machine should be good to go. However, in screenshot2, not every requirement has a green check mark although the machine does meet the stated requirements. I installed ISS on a Windows 7 machine without any problems. All of the requirements had green check marks. No, the solution is not to dump Win2K and go with XP or 7. Win2K suits me just fine and runs circles around newer OS's given what I use the machine for.

I have been using Avast! 4.8 on this machine, and uninstalled it to no avail. There is no conflict with another antivirus program. I have a feeling that ISS only works with Win2K 64 bit, and am sure that I have 32 bit although I do not know how to determine this. I am not using a firewall. I have tried the installation with IE6 and Firefox. I have run MCPR.exe, McPreinstall.exe, MVTInstaller.exe to no avail. I am trying to install ISS as the admin user.

If anyone can shed some light on my situation, I would appreciate it. System specs are below. Thanks!!

OS: Windows 2000 Pro SP4 fully patched (an amazing 195 updates from Microsoft Update).

Computer: Gateway, 11 years old and still ticking like a Timex watch.

CPU: AMD K6 at 1Ghz.

RAM: 785MB

Browser: IE6, default. Firefox 3.6.23 is also installed.

Network: 1GB, wired. Several XP/7 machines and a file server with Windows Home Server besides Win2K.

Internet: High speed AT&T U-verse, fiber optic connection.

• 1. Re: Cannot Install "AT&T Internet Security Suite powered by McAfee®" In Windows 2000
          exbrit

I think A T & T need to update that system requirements page as McAfee's are different - Since July 13 last year Windows 2000 has been an obsolete operating system and therefore no longer supported..   There may be other security software out there that still supports it but offhand I can't think of any.    Try a Google search.

Supported Operating Systems

• Windows XP (32-bit) with Service Pack 3 (SP3) or higher
          • Windows Vista (32-bit and 64-bit) with Service Pack 1 (SP1) or higher
          • Windows 7 (32-bit and 64-bit) with Service Pack 1 (SP1)

Compatible with Windows XP  Compatible with Windows Vista              Compatible with Windows7           

System Requirements

• 1 GHz processor or higher
          • 512 MB RAM or higher for Windows XP
          • 1 GB RAM or higher for Vista/Windows 7
          • 500 MB of available free drive space
          • Internet connection

Supported Browsers for Anti-Phishing

• Microsoft Internet Explorer 7.0 or higher
          • Mozilla Firefox 3.5 or higher
          • Google Chrome 6 or higher

Supported Email Programs

• POP3 – Windows Mail, Microsoft Outlook Express, Microsoft Outlook, Eudora, Netscape, IncrediMail and Thunderbird
          • MAPI – Outlook
          • Web – MSN/Hotmail, or email account with POP3 access

Supported Instant Messaging Programs

• AOL Instant Messenger 2.1 or higher
          • Yahoo Messenger 4.1 or higher
          • Microsoft Windows
          • Messenger 3.6 or higher
          • MSN Messenger 6.0 or higher

Required for Anti-Spam Toolbar Plug-In

• Outlook Express 6.0 or higher
          • Windows Mail
          • Outlook 2000 or higher
          • Thunderbird 1.5 or higher
          • Anti-Spam also supports any other POP3 email client (without SSL) and web accounts
          • 2. Re: Cannot Install "AT&T Internet Security Suite powered by McAfee®" In Windows 2000

Thank you for the information, Ex_Brit! I will do some Googling.

• 3. Re: Cannot Install "AT&T Internet Security Suite powered by McAfee®" In Windows 2000
              exbrit

Meanwhile you might want to complain to A T & T that their information is outdated.    I'll pass the information on but I doubt there's anything McAfee can do to force another company to update its webpages.

Good luck with your search.

I did a bit of searching for you.

Avast Free antivirus works I think:  http://www.avast.com/free-antivirus-download  but as of this moment I haven't found a free firewall.

• 4. Re: Cannot Install "AT&T Internet Security Suite powered by McAfee®" In Windows 2000
                exbrit

On our Conference Call and mentioned thius....A T & T need to update their system requirements page, however there is nothing McAfee can do to force them to do that.

You should complain to them and mention what we have said.