Skip navigation
McAfee Secure sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
2984 Views 7 Replies Latest reply: Oct 8, 2011 9:26 PM by Hayton RSS
jockep77 Newcomer 3 posts since
Oct 8, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 8, 2011 2:31 AM

McAfee stopped Chrome from accessing Internet

I think I, by mistake, selected that McAfee should block Google Chrome (my default browser) from having Internet Access (by the way, why did that question appear at all suddenly when I have used Chrome for months..?!) when a McAfee popup window appeared. Now, when I enter "McAfee Internet Security" every setting in there is greyed out. Why is that so? Should I not, as an administrator of my own PC, be able to change settings even if my subscription period has ended? Does this mean I have to uninstall McAfee and completely uninstall it to be able to give Chrome internet access again?

• Peacekeeper Volunteer Moderator 21,363 posts since
    Nov 23, 2002
    1. Oct 8, 2011 4:36 AM (in response to jockep77)
    Re: McAfee stopped Chrome from accessing Internet

Google is updating chrome regularly so you probably got a popup when Mcafee noted the program had changed. You can unblock it in Email and web protection / Firewall / Internet connections for programs.

Ok reread your post and I see your subscription is ended.

The faq seems to i9mply you can change settings just not update or upgrade

Will my subscription still work if it has expired?

Summary: Expired subscriptions will not receive updates and therefore will not protect you from new threats.

Description

When your subscription expires, you will no longer receive updates. Without the latest updates and virus definition files, you will not be protected against new threats. This includes Potentially Unwanted Programs (adware and spyware), viruses, and spam. Hundreds of new viruses are discovered each month, so it is important to keep your protection up to date.

Subscription Services

When your subscription expires, you will no longer be able to download new updates and virus definition files. You will still be able to use the product, but you will not be protected from threats newer than the last update before it expired. If your boxed or download-only product has expired or will expire soon, McAfee strongly recommends that you renew the license at http://us.mcafee.com/root/upgradecenter.asp.

If this is the case ie you cannot access the seyyings let me know and I will check further

Tony
    Volunteer Moderator
    Mcafee Total Protection 7.0 beta, Windows 8 64bit
    No Unrequested PMs please
    Do you have an idea for improving McAfee products? Please share it in the new Ideas community space!  NOTE: You must register an account first.

• Ex_Brit Volunteer Moderator 59,550 posts since
    May 6, 2004
    3. Oct 8, 2011 7:03 AM (in response to jockep77)

Tony is in Australia so is asleep as I type this.   Yes you should be able to change settings or so I believe, however having never used an expired McAfee product recently I can't guarantee that and would not be surprised if the product locks itself after a time which would be logical as it is the license to use the product that is purchased when you buy, not the product itself.   The software is useless as it is anyway and provides little or no protection in an expired state so I suggest you uninstall it in the normal manner via Control Panel/Programs/Uninstall a Program (Add or Remove Programs in XP).  Then run the MCPR cleanup tool linked under Useful Links at the top of this page and reboot immediately.

You can still use SiteAdvisor browser protection which is free, downloadable seperately from http://www.siteadvisor.com .

I'm assuming you are using some other kind of protection in the meanwhile.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 08/10/11 8:03:45 EDT AM

https://community.mcafee.com/servlet/JiveServlet/downloadImage/2-143933-5189/78-49/Peter.gif
    Toronto • Canada
    Volunteer Moderator
    I can't help you privately - please post in the Forums
    Use Advanced Forum Search To Find Answers
    Beta Test McAfee Products For PC & MAC
    How To Fix File Associations in Windows
    XP & Office 2003 End-Of-Life - 08 April, 2014
    Anti-Spyware/Malware & Hijacker Tools
    Nov 23, 2002
    4. Oct 8, 2011 5:49 PM (in response to Ex_Brit)

Peter I asked Dinz what goes as well. awaiting his reply.

Tony
    Volunteer Moderator
    Do you have an idea for improving McAfee products? Please share it in the new Ideas community space!  NOTE: You must register an account first.

• Ex_Brit Volunteer Moderator 59,550 posts since
    May 6, 2004
    5. Oct 8, 2011 6:01 PM (in response to Peacekeeper)

Good, thanks.  That FAQ about 'will my product work...' is a very old one and may be obsolete.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 08/10/11 7:01:45 EDT PM

https://community.mcafee.com/servlet/JiveServlet/downloadImage/2-143933-5189/78-49/Peter.gif
    Toronto • Canada
    Volunteer Moderator
    I can't help you privately - please post in the Forums
    Use Advanced Forum Search To Find Answers
    Beta Test McAfee Products For PC & MAC
    How To Fix File Associations in Windows
    XP & Office 2003 End-Of-Life - 08 April, 2014
    Anti-Spyware/Malware & Hijacker Tools
    Nov 23, 2002
    6. Oct 8, 2011 9:18 PM (in response to Ex_Brit)

Agreed I think we had a post similiar to this as well and the techs assumed the program would work except for the updates. Problem is our and the tech's versions are never expired. Let us see what dinz says.

Tony
    Volunteer Moderator

• Hayton Volunteer Moderator 4,598 posts since
    Sep 27, 2010
    7. Oct 8, 2011 9:26 PM (in response to Peacekeeper)

Just as an afterthought to this thread, I noticed a long time back that whenever Chrome updates to a new version there is a pop-up saying "Chrome.exe is trying to access the internet, do you want to allow it?". That's because each update is actually a new downloaded version, as you'll see if you go into the folder structure to look for chrome.exe : there you will see the current version and the previous one (presumably in case you have to roll back if there is a major problem with compatibility). Which is I suppose why the Chrome update process takes so long to complete.

Volunteer Moderator  Leeds, UK
    No PM's please

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• Correct Answers - 5 points
  • Helpful Answers - 3 points