Skip navigation
McAfee Secure sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
1796 Views 9 Replies Latest reply: Oct 10, 2011 1:57 AM by Peacekeeper RSS
kee Newcomer 7 posts since
Apr 25, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 2, 2011 1:51 PM

Potentially annoying download detected

I have the free add-on and toolbar and it keeps sending this pop up message: potentially annoying download detected. You are downloading wea_ 26.cab   from http://wea.igeared.com/weather/weather/tb_icons/           I got this dozens of times every internet session. To my knowledge I've never even been on that site. I ran a virus scan, malwarebytes, super anti spyware and they've all shown up as clean. I thought it might be to do with this site which is on my AVG toolbar http://www.weather.com/weather/hourbyhour/UKXX2047?par=AVG&site=toolbar&cm_ven=a pplication&cm_cat=AVGToolbar&cm_pla=WxFcst&cm_ite=HBH  so I've disabled it. Assuming it is that causing it, is there any harm in allowing the download?

I often get these pop-ups, this is another one I get a lot:      You are downloading:t9free0021.cab    from    http://af.avg.com/softw/10free/tbr

Is that one OK to allow? I do have AVG.

• JaiPrakash Champion 457 posts since
    Nov 5, 2009
    2. Oct 5, 2011 7:26 AM (in response to kee)
    Re: Potentially annoying download detected

Hello Kee,

Do you have McAfee security programs installed on your PC or McAfee site Advisor . Kindly provide us with a screen shot of the pop up so that would add us some clarity on the issue

Regards,

Thanks,
    Jai Prakash
  • Hayton Volunteer Moderator 4,600 posts since
    Sep 27, 2010
    4. Oct 8, 2011 11:54 PM (in response to kee)

You've got AVG installed, right? And you're running SiteAdvisor as a stand-alone website checker? Ignore Security Scan Plus, that's not relevant to any of this, it's not a full AV program.

SiteAdvisor will detect *possibly* unwanted downloads and warn you about them. If you want them, go ahead and download them. SiteAdvisor's role is to warn you if something you don't want is coming your way.

Don't worry about the warning messages. Worry if you get a full-scale red blocking page, that's usually something to avoid.

And, yes, false positives do happen. Not often, but they happen. Can't be helped. No system is perfect. If in doubt, go and double-check a site on mywot.com and read the reviewers' opinions.

Volunteer Moderator  Leeds, UK
    No PM's please
  • Peacekeeper Volunteer Moderator 21,353 posts since
    Nov 23, 2002
    5. Oct 9, 2011 4:17 PM (in response to kee)

In siteadvisor what is your download setting limited  balanced or agressive.

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 10/10/11 7:17:58 AM

Tony
    Volunteer Moderator
    Mcafee Total Protection 7.0 beta, Windows 8 64bit
    No Unrequested PMs please
    Do you have an idea for improving McAfee products? Please share it in the new Ideas community space!  NOTE: You must register an account first.

Nov 23, 2002
    7. Oct 9, 2011 4:21 PM (in response to kee)

Two spaces to the right of the large green mcafee SA toolbar is a black down arrow Click on this and choose options and see if you have a download option.

Tony
    Volunteer Moderator
    Do you have an idea for improving McAfee products? Please share it in the new Ideas community space!  NOTE: You must register an account first.

Nov 23, 2002
    9. Oct 10, 2011 1:57 AM (in response to kee)

Ok that is the default and you must have the standard version not the live version.

Tony
    Volunteer Moderator

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• Correct Answers - 5 points
  • Helpful Answers - 3 points