4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 4, 2011 5:55 AM by Dinz

Uninstall "old" McAfee?

Sicnarf

I have a Dell Dimension 9100 that is 5 years old. I had to do a "factory restore" to get the junk off it.

Now I have McAfee pestering me to "register" a 5 year old program. I don't wish to do that as I have two unused subs on my other machine.

Are there SPECIFIC uninstallers for

McAfee Virus Scan

McAfee Security Center

McAfee Personal Firewall Plus.

That is how they are listed in the XP Add/Remove Programs, OR will the Windows uninstaller remove everything so I can load my "new" McAfee?

Thanks

Sic

• 1. Re: Uninstall "old" McAfee?
          exbrit

Uninstall it in the normal way via Control Panel/Add or Remove Programs (XP) Programs/Uninstall a Programs (Vista/Windows 7)

Then run the MCPR cleanup tool as well (also run this anyway if you can't find the entries in the previous stage or if it was unsuccessful) listed under Useful Links at the top of this page.

Reboot immediately when asked to.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Uninstall "old" McAfee?
            Sicnarf

Thanks Ex-Brit,

Could you "translate" the following for me. These are the instructions with the MCPR tool.

"

IMPORTANT: If your McAfee products were preinstalled by the manufacturer of your computer, ensure that you activate your McAfee subscription before uninstalling. Reinstalling from a CD or download only installs your McAfee consumer applications, but might not recover your paid subscription term information. "

I don't think the product was ever "activated" by anyone, if so it would have been the previous owner ( my grandson and his spouse) and he doesn't remember. So "if" it was ever activated in someone elses name should that affect me?

Right now I can't connect the machine in question to the net to register.

Thanks again

• 3. Re: Uninstall "old" McAfee?
              exbrit

Manually uninstalling first via Control Panel will achieve what that is about...preserving the subscriptions and not seeking to get a new one.  However don't worry, if there is any problem it can be sorted out by a free phone call to Customer Service, also linked under Useful Links, after all this is done.

• 4. Re: Uninstall "old" McAfee?
                Dinz

Sicnarf wrote:

I have a Dell Dimension 9100 that is 5 years old. I had to do a "factory restore" to get the junk off it.

Now I have McAfee pestering me to "register" a 5 year old program. I don't wish to do that as I have two unused subs on my other machine.

Are there SPECIFIC uninstallers for

McAfee Virus Scan

McAfee Security Center

McAfee Personal Firewall Plus.

That is how they are listed in the XP Add/Remove Programs, OR will the Windows uninstaller remove everything so I can load my "new" McAfee?

Thanks

Sic

The factory restore has brought inn the very older versions of McAfee programs to your PC. Eventually you would have to run the MCPR tool to uninstall them completely ,. Post which,  if you have a cd copy to install McAfee, you can proceed with the installation . Else , if you have obtained McAfee from DEL L , please contact our McAfee Tech support (Clik on Useful Links at the top of this page  > Then click Technical support) with you DELL order number and Customer number, and our technicians would help you locate your McAfee account , as well as reinstall them to your PC and make sure everything is set right

Regards,