Skip navigation
McAfee Secure sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
9259 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: Oct 2, 2011 4:11 AM by Peacekeeper RSS
chris0151 Newcomer 2 posts since
Oct 1, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 1, 2011 10:11 AM

McAfee Realtime Scan slows down PC massively

Hello McAfee!

What on earth are you doing with your product? Until about 2 or 3 weeks ago the virus scan worked like charm. But then, I assume some update was released and my PC automatically downloaded it, and since then working with my PC becomes a nightmare. Webbrowsing, file browsing, Windows explorer, slow like hell.

When I have a look at the task manager, your process mcshield.exe constantly burns 25% of CPU time. And when I disable the realtime scanning feature of your product, mcshield.exe is down to 0% and the PC runs like charm again.

Don't you test your products before releasing them? How is it possible that such a buggy software is released? I was hoping that the situation might improve with further updates, and that this slowdown feature might have been a unique lapse, but since the situation does not improve, I wonder what on earth is going on in your development and quality management department.

An official statement by McAfee is much appreciated. I paid lot's of money for your product and in order to being able to work with my PC I currently have to disable a feature, which not only comprises my PC's security, but which I, as already mentioned, paid for.

• k3tg Veteran 867 posts since
    May 22, 2007
    1. Oct 1, 2011 10:32 AM (in response to chris0151)
    Re: McAfee Realtime Scan slows down PC massively

It would help us to first know some info about your computer such as the operating system, RAM, what browser you are using, service pack, etc.

Another thought is to run the McAfee Virtual Technician found at the top of this page under Useful Links locate in the Techical Support link.  MVT will scan the computer and generate a report of the McAfee products installed. Please post the versions the report displays along with the Affid.

If we can gather some facts it will help to understand your issue further

Tom K3TG

Volunteer Moderator
  • k3tg Veteran 867 posts since
    May 22, 2007
    3. Oct 1, 2011 7:42 PM (in response to chris0151)

Hi Chris,  I am just an unpaid volunteer trying to help out here and we mods have been told to gather some facts in an effort to help others and by doing so when McAfee personell chime in on these threads they have this info to further investigate.

It is possible the update may have caused some corruption which would probably be a good idea to maybe do a uninstall reinstall by following the recommendations in this link http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?lc=1033&id=TS100507

Tom K3TG

Volunteer Moderator
  • Hayton Volunteer Moderator 4,588 posts since
    Sep 27, 2010
    4. Oct 1, 2011 9:20 PM (in response to chris0151)

chris0151 wrote:

I see no point in your answer, to be honest.

Tom has simply asked you for information which would help us to figure out what's wrong. The essential info we would need to know includes which McAfee product, and which version, you've got. Then we can notify the Support people, or Development, about your problem and pass the information onto them, and you'll be closer to gettig it fixed.

Message was edited by: Hayton on 02/10/11 03:20:21 IST

Volunteer Moderator  Leeds, UK
    No PM's please
  • Peacekeeper Volunteer Moderator 21,332 posts since
    Nov 23, 2002
    5. Oct 2, 2011 4:12 AM (in response to Hayton)

The Possibility of you using a low level Pc and say 512Mb or lower ram also needed asking The techs would ask the same if fact that is the first thing theyy ask in 75% of their 1st posts. Your issue is very possibly a clash of scanning programs say a paid anti malware version active as well or as Tom said a corrupted install.

Try the reinstall path it is probably the solution.

If not we can bring your issue to the attention of the techs when we have our Monday  phone hook up.

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 2/10/11 7:12:50 PM

Tony
    Volunteer Moderator
    Mcafee Total Protection 7.0 beta, Windows 8 64bit
    No Unrequested PMs please
    Do you have an idea for improving McAfee products? Please share it in the new Ideas community space!  NOTE: You must register an account first.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• Correct Answers - 5 points
  • Helpful Answers - 3 points