Skip navigation
McAfee Secure sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
27880 Views 78 Replies Latest reply: Oct 24, 2011 6:01 PM by beagle123 RSS Branched to a new discussion. Go to original post 1 2 3 4 5 ... 8 Previous Next
  • moukie Newcomer 10 posts since
    Oct 3, 2011
    Currently Being Moderated
    21. Oct 3, 2011 11:55 PM (in response to lozah)
    Re: Help... Artemis!56C9EF26F88B

I had the same problem as everyone here.  McAfee Technical Support does not help.  They want you to pay for the service to have them clean the computer and fix the problem.  Which in essence is paying for the product - which obviously doesn't work and to pay for the technical service to fix their own product!! 

I have lost all confidence in this product and the company itself.  I had a virus (Open Cloud) and I managed to remove the culprit.  This is what I had to do to remove it.

Download: Malwarebytes and RKill

I ran both programs to get rid of the virus - WHICH McAfee should have taken care of.  I usually used freeware a/v and never had a problem with them.  I got a new laptop and decided to purchase McAfee for protection....that was a waste of money.

If you purchased McAfee - count your loses and move on to another a/v program that works.  Check out the ratings on CNET Downloads.  If you didn't purchase this worthless program....BRAVO!!  Get out of here and go get some protection that WORKS!! 

Oh and the uninstalling, reinstalling and all the other crap they expect you to do to fix the problem is a farse!  It is not fixable and SHAME ON YOU MCAFEE!!!  YOU KNOW THAT YOU HAVE A PROBLEM AND DON'T HAVE THE BALLS TO HELP YOUR CONSUMERS!!!

• Peacekeeper Volunteer Moderator 21,338 posts since
    Nov 23, 2002
    22. Oct 4, 2011 12:31 AM (in response to moukie)

vinoo is now on this thread he will help when he starts back at work. He knows of this issue and will handle this asap. There is a dat 6489 later on today / tommorrow which should help.

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 4/10/11 3:31:12 PM

Tony
    Volunteer Moderator
    Mcafee Total Protection 7.0 beta, Windows 8 64bit
    No Unrequested PMs please
    Do you have an idea for improving McAfee products? Please share it in the new Ideas community space!  NOTE: You must register an account first.

• gjveint Newcomer 7 posts since
    Oct 2, 2011
    23. Oct 4, 2011 1:25 AM (in response to Peacekeeper)

Well my frustration is at a peak. I'm stuck in safe mode now given that this OpenCloud crap spawns about a couple thousand bogus tasks when I try to run in normal mode. Yesterday my problem was just with the firewall staying off but today after running these stingers I can't even use my laptop. For grins I ran McAfee's VirusScan in safe mode and it believed after a couple hours it had found more than a couple thousand infected files. As soon as I went back to normal mode the same OpenCloud junk came up and pretty much locked me out again. From the log I saw that McAfee thought it had found about a half dozen variants of Artemis. Unfortunately I no longer have malwarebytes to even try. Can't install it from safe mode and can't get in to normal mode. I have to agree that my faith in Mcafee is dropping off by the minute ...

• vinod_r2 McAfee Mentor 3,126 posts since
    Feb 15, 2008
    24. Oct 4, 2011 7:48 AM (in response to gjveint)

All,

Please download the tool listed here-

http://vil.nai.com/images/562354_2.zip

extract the .exe file.

Once you have that tool saved to the computer that is affected ( you may downlaod it on a good pc and trasfer to bad one via a thumb drive) or login to safe mode with netwowking on bad pc and download it and save it.

Now boot the computer into normaly mode and execute the .exe file on the machine and reboot as instructed.

Repeat the Run process two or three times and report the status

Note if you encounter any Fake alert or open cloud type infection blocking access- just click allow unprotected and proceed- Reply back if you still need assistance.

Regards
    VR
  • gjveint Newcomer 7 posts since
    Oct 2, 2011
    25. Oct 4, 2011 9:32 AM (in response to vinod_r2)

Safe mode is hosed up for me now on the infected laptop. I downloaded from the link on a different laptop then copied the rootkit remover from a flash drive to the infected laptop running in normal mode. Tried executing and it came back with "64-bit OS not supported yet"

• havasulover75 Newcomer 5 posts since
    Oct 2, 2011
    26. Oct 4, 2011 10:37 AM (in response to vinod_r2)

I tried that as well and it says 64 bit not supported.

• SamSwift Group Leader 651 posts since
    Nov 9, 2009
    27. Oct 4, 2011 12:14 PM (in response to havasulover75)

Hi,

We've logged the 64-bit issue with Engineering and will report back. This threat is a real pig to clean up (understatement of the Year) especially when it's tied in with multiple infections. There is a threat advisory posted already to the Top Threat community space - we will keep updating it as new information becomes available.

Kind regards,

Sam

• rags Newcomer 6 posts since
    Oct 2, 2011
    28. Oct 4, 2011 4:51 PM (in response to jdl)

Don't forget about this LITTLE  inconvenience.

jdl wrote:

Same problem.  Same repeated pop-up of trojan found "Artemis!56C9EF26F88B".

I didn't know my firewall is down until reading these.  It shows as "on" until I click on firewall settings in security center.  There it shows as off.  when I click "turn on" it shows as on for about 1/2 a second and goes back to off.

When I leave the firewall settings, security center shows firewall: on.  And it shows "your computer is secure".  I don't believe either.

• moukie Newcomer 10 posts since
    Oct 3, 2011
    29. Oct 4, 2011 5:18 PM (in response to Peacekeeper)

I have gotten rid of the virus without the help of McAfee.  Thank you very much.  Excuse my sarcasim but when you take your hard earned money to purchase a product that is suppose to protect you - or at least the company to stand behind their product - one loses faith when they (me) have to go to other companies to clean up what McAfee couldn't fix.

In order to gain good faith with me - the problem of the firewall not staying up is still an issue.  I have read in this thread that others are having the same issue.  At least come forth an produce some type of resolution to this issue.  If not for me (who is a McAfee consumer) - then for everyone else who is having an issue with the product.  This is bad business and not a good sign of Customer Service.

Now, since I am having the issue with the firewall (which I assume is steming from the virus) I can only assume that there maybe a chance that some part of the virus is still attached in some way.  If there is any info that you need from me to combat this please let me know.  Like I said in the beginning of this statement...I got rid of the virus - using the methods I stated in an earlier thread - I only have the issue of the firewall left.

I will be following this thread.

1 2 3 4 5 ... 8 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Legend

• Correct Answers - 5 points
  • Helpful Answers - 3 points