5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 26, 2011 2:56 PM by exbrit

Blank Mcafee Security Centre

My PC runs Windows 7, Office 2010, IE 8 and Chrome. I recently noticed windows losing focus while typing. I tried to open McAfee from the icon on the toolbar. This was no longer possible. No menu options appeared after clicking the icon. Tried opening the security centre from the menu but get a completely blank window, not even a title bar for the window. Windows and McAfee had all security updates as of 2 weeks ago - when the problem with loss of focus started happening. Have checked the forum and there's talk of problems if you run a beta version of IE but I'm not and have avoided upgrading to IE9. Any ideas / suggestions?

Many thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: Blank Mcafee Security Centre
          exbrit

Is this Windows 7 SP1 or not?  Also is is 64 or 32-bit?

Blank SecurityCenter is a result of some Internet Explorer malfunction.  (Whether or not you use IE as your browser).

Open IE and go to Tools/Internet Options/Advanced and click Reset, Apply and OK.

Close and reopen IE and go to Tools/Manage add-ons and re-enable any you need.

See if that helps.

Upgrade to IE9 if not.   It's available for download from Microsoft directly here and is far safer than IE8: http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=13950

• 2. Re: Blank Mcafee Security Centre

Hi Peter

Thanks for your suggestions. The outcome is below.

Reset IE8 as suggested. No joy.

Installed IE9 as suggested. No joy.

It is 64bit, Windows 7 SP1.

Regards

Paul

• 3. Re: Blank Mcafee Security Centre
              exbrit

In a 64-bit system there are two versions of IE...only use the 32-bit one and make sure that Java, Flash add-ons are current and that it's set to default settings.

The only other suggestion I have is that maybe McAfee is corrupted somehow and may benefit from a clean up and reinstall.

Uninstall in the normal way via Control Panel/Programs/uninstall a Program  (importasnt otherwise your online account may see 2 machines instead of one)

Then run the MCPR cleanup tool listed under Useful Links at the top of this page.

Reboot and reinstall from your online account.

Other than that I can only suggest contacting online Technical Support Chat.   Actually your phone support option may be free currently, you could try that opention on the support page.

Technical Support is also linked under Usegul Links above.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 25/09/11 4:35:56 EDT PM
              • 4. Re: Blank Mcafee Security Centre

Hi Peter

tried uninstalling via the Control Panel but got the same blank window as soon as I tried. so I went to McAfee Technical Support and installed the Virtual Technician. That found and corrected a corrupt / missing COM component and hey presto, McAfee sprang back into life.

many thanks for your suggestions. keep up the good work!

Paul (still a Brit!)

• 5. Re: Blank Mcafee Security Centre
                  exbrit

Well I guess I'm still a  Brit too - carry 2 passports...;-)

Glad the MVT fixed it, will have to rmember that.  MVT doesn't always seem to do much and now it appears to have redeemed itself, in my eyes at least.

Thanks for letting us know.

All the best.

P.S. MVT is always readily available at http://mvt.mcafee.com and always download a fresh version as it is frequently updated so uninstall the old one when done.   It's listed in programs like everything else.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 26/09/11 3:56:22 EDT PM