Kindly let us know if you switched to a different internet connection recently ?
Do you have any other security software installed on the PC?
How is the computer connected to internet ?? (dsl/Wireless/Cable)
1. Yes, I moved in with my daughter and shifted from my DSL ISP to hers. This occurred the first week of June 2011.
2. I've checked the Windows Task Manager and as far as I can tell I have no other security software running other than the McAfee Total Protection suite of programs.
3. My machine is directly connected to a wireless network DSL modem and from there to the phone line.
My daughter uses a wireless connection to this modem for her computer.
Please try the below steps and let us know the outcome ;
Click on start > click on run and type : drivers
From the folders open the file that says : etc
From here : right click on the file: Host and select open with
Choose Note pad to open the file
Make sure that last line of the Host file says 127.0.0.1
Any additional entries below that could be edited and save the file accordingly.
Open Internet explorer and click on Tools
Click on Internet options , then click Connections tab
Click on LAN connections and make sure the option proxy server is unchecked
If both of the above is set right , best would be Click on Useful links at the top of this page and select Technical support so that our technicians would remote inn to the affected PC and diagnose the issue
1. There is/was NO file in the etc folder named "host"
2. There is/was a file named "hosts"
ALL lines in the "hosts" file were commented out. Including this one:
I added a line with 127.0.0.1 in it to the end of the file.
3. I don't understand what this means in your message.
"Any additional entries below that could be edited and save the file accordingly."
What are you trying to say?
4. I hardly ever use Internet Explorer so how does setting options in it help solve my problem?
By the way, "proxy server" has never been checked and still isn't.
5. After changing the "hosts" file I re-booted my machine.
The auto update problem still exists.